World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i caught a crab, then stood on it by accident, i noticed lot of the 'goo' that makes peelers so effective. i was wondering if it's worf scraping this out of the crabs freezing it and using it for an additive to groundbait, or is it just the fact that crabs release certain hormones when they are about to moult that makes them so effective?
Also with the abundance of peelers at the minute i've frozen about 50 of these down, will they be ok until late December?

·
Registered
36 Posts
hi tozer , i always freeze peeler for my winter fishing but try to do this while there fresh and you`ll have some great bait for the winter,

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers, the are usually collected, peeled and in the freezer withing 24hrs and none are ever dead, i wasn't sure if they could deteriate, some one told me they may only last about 3months in the freezer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i think cling flim is the hero here , never had a prob with this method, good for the cod in the south ,when there here that is !!!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi matey,

I like to wrap mine individually (or halved if large) in Silver foil. Never had any problems with them, so long as your pretty careful to freeze them in good nick!!

I'm a bit pedantic about it, but like to make sure the gills are out, all of the shell gone(inside and out), and the that the claws are out (if possible) and frozed in with it. I guess what I'm saying is the less mucking about you have to do with the de-frosted crab to get it into a hook bait, the better at the other end! :D

I don't think they'll have detiorated by December.

Cheers,
JB.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers, i've peeled them, removed the lungs and all the shell. Then wrapped them in cling film (seperately), then peeled the legs/claws and wrapped them in cling film by rolling them over in cling film so they don't touch. I was just a bit worried they might go off, this is my first summer of being able to freeze down a supply for winter so i'm unsure, it just worried me when i heard they might not last. I've had frozen squid before and that lasted for ages but it seems alot less tempermental.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts