World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lol it is really a stupid question but how coould u kill a crab but i need it in good condition for freezing

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
If it worries you that you are hurting your peelers when hooking them, then freeze them first! Otherwise put up with it! If it's a big 'un then cutting it in half with your knife (or scissors if you use them with bait!) should solve the problem. If it's fear of retaliatuion from the claws, then pull them off! (waste not want not and feed them onto the hook point, or use seperately for other species - it's all food for fish!)

You can always use the crabs as 'livebait' by lashing them to the hook with lots of elastic/red wool. You'd use that anyway if you bait them up in the usual way. There's even a hook you can buy with a spike half way down the shank to 'impale' the crab (was it Vlad who invented it, I ask?) A great idea but a little over the top perhaps. The 'live-baited' crab is very lively although is not emitting much attractant 'juice', which is the main part of using the bait! Wrasse it seems love small hard-backed green crabs (not that they work for me I must say!)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what so u freeze them when they r alive i dont get it explaint plz?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts