World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
Set out last night (Tues) to see if I could find a ray as the tide flooded and maybe a bass towards high water.
I got to my mark around 8:30pm to find i’d massively misjudged the size of the tide... it’d gone out miles!!
Not to be put off I waited patiently with a coffee and tied a rig or two, it wasn’t too long before there was enough water to fish although I was now extremely sceptical a ray would show.
All was quiet for the first couple of casts with just a smattering of weed to contend with. By around 10pm I had my first bite which resulted in two sizeable whiting on a pennel.
My next few casts resulted in whiting or chewed baits so I decided to start dropping one in closer to see if the bass would show.
I wasn’t expecting anything from this until the tide got higher later on so I was pleasantly surprised to get a lunging bite after just a few minutes... this resulted in a schoolie of 1lbs 8oz, just nudging 40cm.
CC96EE5A-154D-4878-9335-004CDDC662A7.jpeg

F4BD7429-07C0-411F-A778-77899F50BF07.jpeg

I was fed up with whiting so the surprise of the early bass prompted me to abandon fishing at distance and both rods were employed for bass.
Half an hour went by when one of my ratchets absolutely screamed at me, I just managed to grab my rest before it toppled over! After a great scrap, bass no.2 came in a much better size of 4lbs 12.2oz, 56cm.
21BBEB15-4806-4DAF-83A7-EEC4D476EFA8.jpeg

87EC0BBC-24E5-4660-9269-FD62EBDCC91E.jpeg
This got me grinning no end and I was pumped to try for a Pb. (Currently 5lbs 6oz)
There seemed to be a long wait for any more action which eventually came in the form of a snag, I had the fish on and it dived into breakwater, by the time I wangled it off, the fish had gone but the lead flew out of the water and very nearly smacked me in the head!
A short while later and I had a small, fairly tentative bite. As I picked the rod up though it was clearly no small fish, it bent double and tore off along the shore line. My 3rd of the night went 5lbs 3oz and 62cm!!
D030D6CD-250E-48E6-9824-4BA7317FE2DD.jpeg

C41DB5CF-42CE-4ACE-A407-248501FEB8C7.jpeg

Things slowed again after that, I missed another and landed one more for good measure at 1lbs 8.2oz, 41cm, almost a carbon copy of the first.
FD22C02F-E54D-43B5-B2FD-FF2A47F76C66.jpeg

I’d have loved to have carried on as I was sure there was a beast to be had but it was nearly 3am by this point and work the following day was beckoning. Still buzzing today though from an awesome and very unexpected evening!
Tight lines all.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
369 Posts
hi all,
Set out last night (Tues) to see if I could find a ray as the tide flooded and maybe a bass towards high water.
I got to my mark around 8:30pm to find i’d massively misjudged the size of the tide... it’d gone out miles!!
Not to be put off I waited patiently with a coffee and tied a rig or two, it wasn’t too long before there was enough water to fish although I was now extremely sceptical a ray would show.
All was quiet for the first couple of casts with just a smattering of weed to contend with. By around 10pm I had my first bite which resulted in two sizeable whiting on a pennel.
My next few casts resulted in whiting or chewed baits so I decided to start dropping one in closer to see if the bass would show.
I wasn’t expecting anything from this until the tide got higher later on so I was pleasantly surprised to get a lunging bite after just a few minutes... this resulted in a schoolie of 1lbs 8oz, just nudging 40cm. View attachment 1123423

View attachment 1123425

I was fed up with whiting so the surprise of the early bass prompted me to abandon fishing at distance and both rods were employed for bass.
Half an hour went by when one of my ratchets absolutely screamed at me, I just managed to grab my rest before it toppled over! After a great scrap, bass no.2 came in a much better size of 4lbs 12.2oz, 56cm. View attachment 1123427

View attachment 1123429 This got me grinning no end and I was pumped to try for a Pb. (Currently 5lbs 6oz)
There seemed to be a long wait for any more action which eventually came in the form of a snag, I had the fish on and it dived into breakwater, by the time I wangled it off, the fish had gone but the lead flew out of the water and very nearly smacked me in the head!
A short while later and I had a small, fairly tentative bite. As I picked the rod up though it was clearly no small fish, it bent double and tore off along the shore line. My 3rd of the night went 5lbs 3oz and 62cm!!
View attachment 1123431

View attachment 1123435

Things slowed again after that, I missed another and landed one more for good measure at 1lbs 8.2oz, 41cm, almost a carbon copy of the first. View attachment 1123437

I’d have loved to have carried on as I was sure there was a beast to be had but it was nearly 3am by this point and work the following day was beckoning. Still buzzing today though from an awesome and very unexpected evening!
Tight lines all.
Well done Storm! Lovely fish caught by a dedicated angler. You put in the hours and the results are your reward. Congratulations m8, awesome fishing.
Pete

·
Premium Member
26,206 Posts
Great fishng and probably not far from my patch. Makes no difference though... I reckon bass have always been smarter than me and have nothing to worry about where I'm concerned.
Nice to read your report and know they are there.:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts