World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
The people's moral compass
12,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, i decided to put this in a new thread, rather than junk others ! i'm going to the isle of whight next week, with mrs plums, and too many kids, plus fishing gear !

i'd be happy to meet up with anyone who fancies a session or two,

there is still alot of rays here,There is undulate fever is the buzz at the mo average size about 15lb and even a 17.5lb was caught with spotteds and painted being the most common .But is does need a bloow to get it really going.The conger along the back our feeding close in because they are hungry 40 of the beach last week.Best bait a pout but stamp on it first tears tthe flesh a treat.

sounds great !! which beaches are fishing best ? best bait for rays ? macky ? sandeel ?

my lad desperately wants to catch a ray ! a conger would make his day !
also, seems to be some dispute over where to get the best bait, any recomendations ?

we'll be staying at thornis bay, nr cowes, but will defo be heading south to yaverland, chine, sandown, etc etc,

cheers.
Hugh

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
hi all, i decided to put this in a new thread, rather than junk others ! i'm going to the isle of whight next week, with mrs plums, and too many kids, plus fishing gear !

sounds great !! which beaches are fishing best ? best bait for rays ? macky ? sandeel ?

my lad desperately wants to catch a ray ! a conger would make his day !
also, seems to be some dispute over where to get the best bait, any recomendations ?

we'll be staying at thornis bay, nr cowes, but will defo be heading south to yaverland, chine, sandown, etc etc,

cheers.
Hugh
sandeel calimari wrap is good at mo

·
South Coast Forum Moderator
1,603 Posts

Hi Hugh........ About half an hour ago I spoke with the wife and tried to suggest that we might like to visit the Isle of Wight and (no coincidence obviously!!) maybe try and coincide our visit with a meet up with your good self. I thought it was a very cunning plan.

Her reply?!

I don't think me and the kids will be able to go and I will need the car.........can you get to the Isle of Wight by train!! :blink:

Priceless!! lol. :clap2:

(Yeah, I know that I could get a train and ferry and bus etc.......with all my gear; just tickled me and I got the giggles!!)

All said and done though mate.....best of luck whilst over there Hugh; let us all know how you get on.

Regards.

Andy. :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
if ur arfter rays go to Chale with sandeel u will get dogs and pout as well and u may have a chance of a conger but dont count on it but it is a long walk

·
Registered
158 Posts
Crazyplums,you really need to team up with someone to show you where to go down the back mate,there are some easy access points but I really wouldnt recommend Chale as one of them unless you have some Mountain Goat in you.Atherfield has easy access and you can turn up anything there,including Conger but again,you have to know where to park up,Brooke is sign posted and has car parking facilitys,your best bet is to do a recce first mate in daylight.Scotties in Newport(which is central)will supply you with all your bait requirements and give you pointers...........if your lucky

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Crazy, in the pm you sent (i seem to have erased it) did you say you wanted a child friendly beach? In that case forget chale and maybe atherfield as they are a bit demanding, more so when its wet.
Yaverland and brook should turn up some rays, though this may be better at night.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Crazy, in the pm you sent (i seem to have erased it) did you say you wanted a child friendly beach? In that case forget chale and maybe atherfield as they are a bit demanding, more so when its wet.
Yaverland and brook should turn up some rays, though this may be better at night.
I'd forget Brook during the day. Apart from being chock full of holiday makers, the surfer boys will be out in force. You could go left a few hundred yards to find a bit of peace, but your are into some seriously rough ground.

Come to think of it, any reasonably easy access beach will be busy near Easter time. If you can fish after dark you will have a lot more options.

·
12,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i do plan on fishing at least one evening session, though it's likely i'll have to put up with day sessions with the kids ! i understand the ebaches will be full, and don't mind walking a bit if it means getting outta the way, the only trouble with rough ground, is that potentially there could be 5-6 of us fishing, and i can't set up that many rough ground set-ups without having a breakdown !

need to keep it fairly simple if poss.

thanks for the advice, and please keep it coming !

Hugh

·
Registered
160 Posts
What about norton wall, fort vic or between totland and colwell, or even cowes front.

Not sure how they fish in the day, but could be worth a try

·
12,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i've seen people fish the north side of the island, but only a couple fishing the south (during day anyway), would like to fish with the best chance of rays. never caught a decent (ie sizable) one from our beaches here.

but as mentioned earlier, marks to need to be fairly kiddie safe. i would like to get at least one 'grown up only' session in an evening or night tide if i can though, so if anyone thinks they might be available, please feel free to pm me your number, my number is in my profile if you decide to suddenly go !

·
12,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
many thanks for all the advice chaps !

·
12,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
there were people fidshing on it last time i went over, damned long walk though !

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
cant you still get the little train to the end?
that was the coolest bit for me lol!
trying to catch the mullet that lurk under it on an august evening
with bread flake to no avail, gave up and proceeded to
loose 25 quids worth of rappalas around the struts lol!
not the happiest session but the choo choo soothed it all away ;-]

did manage to grab a couple in the little marina next to it
following arfternoon but thats not exactly relevent is it?
good luck mate! the rock has loads of fishing to offer!
im sure a man of your calibre will sort some out!

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Let me know how you get on crazyplums as im off to the IOW in June and would be interested to hear of any child friendly places to fish. Cheers

Lee.

·
12,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cheers geff, the guy in anglers den, well... both the owners, lived on the island til about 15 odd years ago, i've heard all sorts of places that used to be good, where to get snakes on big tides (sworn to secrecy though... not that i really want them !) and so on, he did mention ryde pier, and being shooed away for fishing thru the tracks for mullet etc !

Lee, of course i'll let you know, full report upon my return ! well.. unless i get taken to any marks that i'm told not to mention online !

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
cheers geff, the guy in anglers den, well... both the owners, lived on the island til about 15 odd years ago, i've heard all sorts of places that used to be good, where to get snakes on big tides (sworn to secrecy though... not that i really want them !) and so on, he did mention ryde pier, and being shooed away for fishing thru the tracks for mullet etc !

Lee, of course i'll let you know, full report upon my return ! well.. unless i get taken to any marks that i'm told not to mention online !
nick would not be happy at all !!!!!!!!!:)

·
12,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lol, as i said in my post, any marks that i'm asked to keep quiet about, i will do, the fish will be mentioned of course, but maybe not the exact venue, i understand some people have their favoured spots, and don't want them suddenly overcrowded cos of a particular report. i'll be good !

with the advice Nick has given me, i should be able to have a couple of good sessions, and hopefully even meet up with him for an evening session, but sensitive info will be treated as such should it be so wished !

1 - 20 of 44 Posts