World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New To Sea Fishing, looking for some advice on rig building.

How do you build a rig to match the venue you are fishing?

I mainly fish for small species like Whiting, Dabs, on a sandy beach.

If the tide is strong do I use shorter snoods or longer?

How long should the rig body be?

I usually purchase rigs from the local tackle shop, but would like to try build my own.

Any information you guys have on rig building would be fantastic!

M::

·
Registered
810 Posts
Pop over to the tackle discussion and check out rigs, knots and other topics. Then you can decide what’s right for you and start building. Good luck matey.

·
Registered
10,162 Posts
How far are the target species, do you need to cast, if long distance say 100-150 yds three hook clipped rig, this could be a short rig, Two hooks up above the lead and one down below the lead, loop rig, or Three hooks clipped above the lead cascade rig. Short distance 60-80 yds a simple Three hook Flapper rig, longer rig for Dabs 8-12 snoods for the loop rig you could go longer on the low down snood . Have a look at this you can build your own using the drop down box, and plenty of rig there http://rigsketcher.fishingreviews.co.uk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you both!

The beaches around where I fish are deep. A chuck of around forty yards will put you amongst the fish. So I guess a simple 2up 1down would suffice.

A few months ago I did experiment with longer 20" 10lb snood lengths and found I would foul hook whiting in body, I can only assume the tide was strong and the bait was flapping around all over the place.

In hindsight, maybe I should've shortend them like Colin said anywhere between 8/12" and used a thicker snood of about 18/20lb.

M:

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
Whitng are not fussy feeders, and certainly not line shy, that ,coupled with their teeth they make a mess of light line snoods, so I usually use at least 30lb mono and size 1/0 or 1 hooks for Whiting snoods, although I rareley if ever target whiting or dabs, unless there is nothing else around, they will willingly take a pennel rigged squid/lug combo on 50lb snood, one at each end, even though they are not wanted.

What BS is the snood line you usually use for whiting ? Upping the strenght to 20lb indicates that you were probably using too light a hook length anyway.

For Dabs, then short 20lb snoods, some bling , and stinky black lug ,size 4 or 2 hooks will see them hanging themselves off the line like washing.

Plain flappers, or if fishing at distance clipped down loop rigs or similar work well enough as Colin says.

No doubt others will have different ideas, I am no matchman who wants to bag up , so thats just my take on things

Dave

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some solid information there, thank-you Dave! I never thought about whiting teeth fraying light lines, this has given me some food for thought.

At the moment I'm using Amnesia 15lb line. Might follow your advice and change to a 20lb snood line, might also increase bait presentation and how it sits in the water.

I do use size 4/1 hooks scratching around the majority of the time as there isn't much about at the moment where I live on the East Coast.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome read thank-you for sharing.

It's comforting to know that even very experienced anglers have bad days now and again! Being new to the sport I have had a fair few bad days where everything goes wrong lol.

·
Registered
10,162 Posts
We all bad sessions if we are honest, plenty of blanks for me over the years, part of learning all about sea fishing, keep a note book, keep as much information on your fishing trips, hopefully it will start to build a better understanding, picture of what is happening under the sea, and around you, most of all enjoy, hard times and good times just work it out for the best times.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Whitng are not fussy feeders, and certainly not line shy, that ,coupled with their teeth they make a mess of light line snoods, so I usually use at least 30lb mono and size 1/0 or 1 hooks for Whiting snoods, although I rareley if ever target whiting or dabs, unless there is nothing else around, they will willingly take a pennel rigged squid/lug combo on 50lb snood, one at each end, even though they are not wanted.

What BS is the snood line you usually use for whiting ? Upping the strenght to 20lb indicates that you were probably using too light a hook length anyway.

For Dabs, then short 20lb snoods, some bling , and stinky black lug ,size 4 or 2 hooks will see them hanging themselves off the line like washing.

Plain flappers, or if fishing at distance clipped down loop rigs or similar work well enough as Colin says.

No doubt others will have different ideas, I am no matchman who wants to bag up , so thats just my take on things

Dave

Apologies but i disagree. You should fish as light lines as possible. Fish arent stupid and yes, whiting are not line shy, but is that all you want to catch? You're talking about using 3 hook rigs, scratching rigs i would call them. In my opinion (and that's all this is) you will catch more on lower diameter (high bs are usually thick diameter) snood lines. Save heavier line for those big hook (big fish) up and overs or pulley pennels.

Op asked about long or short snoods. Longer when sea is calm/low tidal movement and shorter when its rougher. Less tangles.

My 2 cents on the topic. Tight lines.

·
Registered
10,162 Posts
Apologies but i disagree. You should fish as light lines as possible. Fish arent stupid and yes, whiting are not line shy, but is that all you want to catch? You're talking about using 3 hook rigs, scratching rigs i would call them. In my opinion (and that's all this is) you will catch more on lower diameter (high bs are usually thick diameter) snood lines. Save heavier line for those big hook (big fish) up and overs or pulley pennels.

Op asked about long or short snoods. Longer when sea is calm/low tidal movement and shorter when its rougher. Less tangles.

My 2 cents on the topic. Tight lines.
Agree certainly in gin clear seas, day light conditions, targeting shy biting fish, then as long as you are prepared to change snoods very often, when the toothy fish are about making mince meat of them.
Most of the time it's cloudy, dirty water, night time, i would play on the safe side, 20lb bs clear snoods memory free with give you movement, less tangles and bit of a guarantee if something big comes along.

·
Registered
910 Posts
This is a useful rig book in pdf format sorry couldn't share the link for some reason, Book of saltwater rigs pdf picture is so you know what to look for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts