World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there , I would like to know about these crimps that anglers are using to make up shore rigs . Are they the same ones that are used to make up wire traces for pike fishing?

·
Registered
386 Posts
the crimps that we use are small copper crimps - yes they are the same as the 45lb b/s drennan ones that you may use for pike fishing but not the same as the stainless steel hardcore ones!!
Basically go to a tackle shop and explain you need copper crimps that will be suitable for up to 60lb line (typical trace body b/s though could be more depending on what b/s line you are constructing the trace body from).
Make sure you crimp just hard enough to hold it in place - remember the crimp will damage line and if over-crimped or crimped unevenly you could risk a breakage during the cast.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for that Juanpablo, Im making up rigs to fish off the beach as shown in Total sea fishing magazine this month. I dont like the sound of there being a posibility of damage to the line though , is there an alternative?

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Thanks very much for that Juanpablo, Im making up rigs to fish off the beach as shown in Total sea fishing magazine this month. I dont like the sound of there being a posibility of damage to the line though , is there an alternative?
Hi David
i use a piece of silicon tusing about 10mm in length pass it over your rig line then pass the line through again pull tight it will hold well and has the advantage that it can be adjusted
if you put a bead on after the silicon stop then a swivel for your snood then another bead then another silicon stop it will hold well with no damage
hope this helps dai
tubing not tusing!

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
I do the same as Dai, i use silicone tubing, though i would say that ideall you want about 5 bits each side of the swivel and beads,

using the silicone makes the rig infinitely adjustable, particularly useful on clipped rigs when you have to change hook sizes etc. you can't over crimp and damage the rig body either.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I use the silicone stops instead of crimps in most of my rigs but I still use crimps for my flappers. David Gould of here (PM him) sells some great ones they are lined so dont damage the main line.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I switched to crimps instead of tying a multitude of stopknots. They are so easy to use and excellent when your tying clipped up (& down) rigs as you can get the snood length spot on.

I use a small set of long nose pliers, but unlike normal pliers, they are totally round in profile and I've never had a trace snap at the crimp.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I must agree with all comments above - some good alternatives and suggestions but if you crimp evenly and not too tight you really wont have any problems (I also have never had a trace snap at the crimp)
Just crimp in the middle first then a light crimp at each end - try moving the crimp - if it doesnt move you are done! If you continue to tighten and tighten you WILL damage the line.

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
I use the silicone stops instead of crimps in most of my rigs but I still use crimps for my flappers. David Gould of here (PM him) sells some great ones they are lined so dont damage the main line.

he also does some very good silicone tubing as well:)

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Hi there , I would like to know about these crimps that anglers are using to make up shore rigs . Are they the same ones that are used to make up wire traces for pike fishing?
For the 10mil tubing try speaking to a guy called DAVIDGOULD on the forums. He does very good Quality crimps and hooks as well as other bits n bobs, You can download a list of items from him. Good luck,

N-E-A

·
Mullet Meister???
6,756 Posts
I gave up using them as i just couldnt get on with them, not using them right i guess. Had problems with them not holing and sliding up and down my line so gave up using them. Do you really need special pliers for them as i was just using a normal pair???

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I gave up using them as i just couldnt get on with them, not using them right i guess. Had problems with them not holing and sliding up and down my line so gave up using them. Do you really need special pliers for them as i was just using a normal pair???
I get on fine with just an ordinary pair, But don't go for any old cheap ones, Get mid price ones, And sometimes it takes a bit of muscle:nerd:

N-E-A

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Crimps work fine if crimped carefully,but using silicone or other tubing as stop knots instead of crimps has the advantage of letting you reposition snoods on clipped rigs if you need to change a hook.Which helps on Bomber rigs or other clipped rigs.
Also if using the tubing on either clipped or flapping rigs whilst fishing over rough ground you could find that your trace comes back from snags more often if its caught up,as the stops move under pressure and somehow this can help release more snagged rigs.Try it for yourselves as it can work.
You can also buy larger crimps than normal(no more expensive than normal size) and put some tubing underneath the crimp before crimping it,this makes a crimp that can be moved and it wont damage your line while being crimped or moved.
If using tubing as a stop for a impact shield...as it can move if you get snagged or play a good fish...you could use a 5mm bead freerunning above the tubing as this makes repositioning the tubing so much easier,hold the bead not the tubing to move the tubing,it just makes things easier.Plus the bead stops the pulley swivel pushing against the impact shield and tubing stop knot(or crimp if you use them),when snagged or playing big fish.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I use crimping pliers, I bought a set from hyper value 2 years ago for £1 and they are still going strong. It's important to use crimping pliers and not normal ones so you don't crush the line.

·
Registered
305 Posts
but i like a bit of adjustability....I now use power gum stop knots, they lock really tight, probably tighter even then crimpps...

And your 3 up flapper can become a 2 up one down, or a one up one down with longer snoods....

I've never tried the silicon tubing stops, use them as bait stops on snoods sometimes, but never think they hold tight enough for main rig body...

Looking at comments above, could be the way to go..

Ade.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I would go for crimps evary time, i can see the advantage of rig tube for adjustability especially when i catch three dogs and i have to adjust the snoods back to where they should be and not all round the weight, try practising on a spare bit of rig line only squeeze the middle of the crimp and then try to snap the line eventually you will get the feel for it. PS i use small nose pliers.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
If u want 2 make flapper rigs say 2 up 1 down why dont u try the old fashion way of using telephone wire. They are easy 2 assembly when u get the hang of it and theres no damage 2 the line. Just get an old telephone and cut the wire and u will see 6 colours inside that if u pull apart can be wrapped around your main trace,then pulled down 2 tighten. They do work.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
but i like a bit of adjustability....I now use power gum stop knots, they lock really tight, probably tighter even then crimpps...

And your 3 up flapper can become a 2 up one down, or a one up one down with longer snoods....

I've never tried the silicon tubing stops, use them as bait stops on snoods sometimes, but never think they hold tight enough for main rig body...

Looking at comments above, could be the way to go..

Ade.

Six Silicone sliders under a clipped rig will not move even under a pendulum cast with a 6oz lead if you use a spring. People have also started to replace the crimp at the foot of a pulley rig with them and that works ok too. each to thier own I suppose but having to re adjust after taking a fish is better than not being able to readjust at all and the sliders can be used as a crude form of drag to help protect lighter snood lines.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts