World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one with any info on fishing here.

· Registered
3,731 Posts
Hi natmatlew! Yes! I know Croatia well! Where are you going, how long? Boat or beach fishing? Best fishing very early mornings or late evening into darkness. Most locals only fish 10 to 25 metres off the rocks. The fish hug the rocks to feed! Best fishing is on the islands facing Italy, with deep water and open sea. Calamari, sardines covered with salt to harden them and keep them from rotting, mussels and welks make good bait. Small hooks No 6 and smaller for most things! Many types of bream mostly small but if lucky Dentex and gilthead to some size! Conger and other eel, rays off muddy bottoms at night mainly. Bass and mullet everywhere. Tuna offshore! Plenty of wrasse. Calamari and cuttlefish can be caught on jigs - best at night with a light from a boat. Boat hire in most places is possible but argue the price down! Boat fishing is better than shore fishing! Do ask the locals to show you places on the map as with us some places have fish and others are empty!
Hope this helps!

· Registered
2,394 Posts
A German skipper I've fished with in both Ascension Island and the Cape Verdes usually fishes in Croatia during the summer months.

Apart from the Bluefin Tuna that Pedro mentioned - and whilst most are in the 100 to 400lb range they did catch a 600 pounder last year - they also encounter big Blue Sharks (200lb plus). And, as back up species, Thresher Sharks, Swordfish, Albacore and Dorado.

If you're interested, and they should give you a flavour of the offshore fishing, there're some reports (in English) and pictures on Olaf's web site - http://mitglied.lycos.de/grimmel23/.
Dave

· Registered
11 Posts
Pedro seems an expert on the Adriatic sea fishing, but if anyone else can help please welcome.
I am going to the Adriatic sea in a few weeks time and wonder what would be good setup for catching dentex,gilthead seabream, seabass (brancin in croatian) and possibly yelow tail, but primarily I would be after Dentex?
I will be using 3.5m inflatable boat with solid wooden floor, a couple of rod holders (more for resting then holding the rods) on the transom, but I am also planning on using hand held pendula (panula in croatian) with live bait from the back of the boat.
Currently, I have Daiwa Sealine 300H and Penn 525 reels, but need a reasonably cheap but good rods to go with these, do you have any recommendations?
I also have a number of monofil/fluoro carbon lines mainly Daiwa Sensor, Berkley vanish and Ultima seastrike/red all ranging from 10lb to 60lb of breaking strain, which would be most suitable for the above?

Thank you

· Registered
49 Posts
hi dentex,
i have been fsihing in croatia for over ten years. next to the the offshore action with bluefins, swords, threshers etc., there is some pretty good inshore and coastal fishing. for dentex your reels should be ok, however consider spooling one with braid, as you need to fish close to the bottom in ca. 25 - 35 m of water. the fact that it is non stretch is not so important when trolling, but its thin, creates less drag in the water, just works better for keeping the bait in the strike zone. as you will be using a small inflatable, i assume you will not have a downrigger - thats why you should use sinkes that clip on- and off your main line easily. (www.fonderiaroma.it) makes these type of leads. another system is called "piombo guardiano" by the italians, and uses a lead on a thinner monofilament branch about 15 meters away from the bait. it is critical that you bait stays within 5-10m of the bottom, if it is in midwater, chances are that one of the big amberjacks will take your bait, and then your tacke might be a bit on the light side. i have caught ajs to 30kgs, but fish of 50 kgs and more are caught every year!
the best bait for dentex is a live squid, followed by a live garfish, if you cant get one of the above mentioned use whatever you can get, but it should be alive. the trolling speed for squid must be very slow, from 0.8 - 1 kt, not more, the garfish can be trolled a little faster. use a fluorocarbon leader in the 50 - 60 lbs range, and a two - or three hook system. concerning your rod for live bait trolling- it should be 6 - 7 ft long with a softer tip and a parabolic action, but any decent boat rod will do for dentex.
another great method for catching dentex is speed jigging, i caught a fish of 11 kgs just a few weeks ago using this method!
if you are fishing from shore you will most likely be targeting goldbream and seabass. for bait you can use all kinds of fish like pieces of sardines, mackerel, squid etc. but best for goldbream is a worm called bibi, or some local worm called crv. for seabass also spinning is a good method, bring mostly smaller sized lures and also topwater plugs and poppers (small).
for all kinds of fishing in the adriatic sea, the most important thing is location. if you dont know where to fish, you will not be succesful. tell me where you will be going, maybe i can give you some positions!
well hope thats enough info for now, tight lines and best regards

· Registered
11 Posts
Hi Maguro,
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the great info and tips.
Although I would be going to Croatia too (Korcula Island) I will spend most of my time on the Adriatic Sea in beautiful Montenegro.
No, I don't have a downrigger as I think that would be overkill on a small inflatable as you already stated. The actual link for leads is www.fonderiaroma.com, I have a couple of DTD pendulas specifically designed for Dentex and similar predatory fish as shown here http://www.dtd.hr/Products/Woodenhandreelsset/FORDENTEXclassic/tabid/2607/Default.aspx. and http://www.dtd.hr/Products/Woodenhandreelsset/LIVEBAITTROLLING/tabid/2608/Default.aspx
This is what the "old fisherman" use for Dentex or AJs fishing. Naturally live bait is to be used preferably squid or garfish. I know a good location for garfish in Montenegro which is not deep at all 5-10m, but really need to know what would be the easiest method of catching them? I have seen the you tube videos of the guys from French jigging site catching Dentex by speed jigging with Williamson lures very successfully. Hey, you caught some big ones there and it's not any fish, 30kg AJ is very impressive! They are very fierce fighters so I’ve heard!
Never used braid before, but this is something I was considering to try out, what breaking strain would you recommend for my mission? Do you think I would benefit from Fishfinder like Garmin 90 / 140 even though I may know of a few good fishing locations?
Lastly, apart from trolling the line manually with "Pendulas" I would like to try boat rods. I know their length should be around 2m, but do you possibly have any recommendations regarding make & models and appropriate weight at the same time reasonably priced?

Tight lines and bistro!

· Registered
49 Posts
hello dentex,
thanks for the welcome! concerning your questions, i would recommend to use braid in the 30 - 50 lbs class, anything thinner will break very easy the moment it touches a rock, or any underwater obstacle. in addition thinner braid tends to cut your mono connection. i recommend that you use a mono top shot of approx. 15 - 20 meters. shimano just came out with a rod designed specifically for live bait trolling in the med. it s the new tiagra lite series. for your application i would use a rod in the 16 - 20 lbs range. but it s also personal preference if you like a little softer action, or not. in my opinion the use of a good fishfinder is a must! you need to find the drop offs, under water hills and bait concentrations.
will you be fishing in boca kotorska in montenegro? there you will most likely also have lots of little tunnies in the 8 - 12kg range. go trolling with small rapalas, and surface lures! if you find the schools feeding on the surface (just look for the birds, and small spashes), and you can get close enough, spinning also works well.

· Registered
11 Posts
Thanks again Maguro, I have a few Rapala minnows and shad raps 7-9gr so will try them out and report back on my return.
Any ideas on the garfish (bait for trolling) and what hooks would you use for dentex, aj and small tunas ("small" from your point of view)? :1a:

G

·
Loads of places to fish around Rovinj. Also an excellent place for a holiday. People were spinning off the rocks all the time when i was there

· Registered
49 Posts
dentex,
my favourite hooks for trolling with live baits are owner ssw series. sizes should be matched to you bait, but generally 2/0 - 6/0 has you covered for all baits and situations.
by far the most effective bait for garfish is a hookless device called mattassina. again from italy. it s basically just a short piece of yarn, in different colors ( best are orange, yellow, white), in which the small teeth of the garfish entangle. it should be trolled plain, without any weight directly on the surface, approx. 20-25 meters behind the boat. it beats everything i ever tried for garfish. on artificias you have generally a poor hook up rate, and it also outfishes every natural bait! to use the matassina you should use a very light spinning outfit, with a very light tipped, soft rod, and light line. use a very light drag setting on the troll, just enough to keep the line coming of the spool. you wil be surprised...

· Registered
11 Posts
maguro, I 've heard of matassina skeinfish I believe this is it see pic below.
I tried to order it from Slovenia recently, unfortunately the shop did not do web sales (can't remember shop name) so will have to check the local shops in Montenegro/Croatia.I also read somewhere about using 5mm x 70mm thin lines of baken as an alternative bait, but don't know how good this is.

Attachments

· Registered
49 Posts
hello dentex,
the bacon also works, but again the hook up ratio on any bait is not as good as on the matassina. if you are driving to croatia / montenegro you can stop here in slovenia, or in zagreb to but it. if i am in slovenia during this time, we could even meet on the highway, and i will give you some mattassinas - no problem!

· Registered
11 Posts
Maguro, that's nice of you, thanks.This year I won't be driving through Slovenia & Croatia as that takes 4 days out of my holiday plus recovery time so I prefer to spend that time on the water! I am sure local shops would have Matassina as they get supplies from Italy and Croatia,but I might need to call them to reserve it as the stock sometimes run low during turist season peaks.

G

·
hey al,
thats where i am located, less than 10km from bled! also some fantastic flyfishing here!
Wish i had known that. Was over there in may for a week. Tried to get hold of a rod for the week at Bled but they guy didn't hire them out :(

I loved the junior alps and want to go back there. Would even live there if i had a chance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.