World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

As a newcomer firstly I'll just say great site.

You'll notice from my user name that there's an s on the end of Dingwall. Thats because there are 2 of us my 9 year old son and myself primarily (my wife and 4 year old will join us occasionally I hope). As complete novices we've an awful lot to learn and as you'll appreciate up in my neck of the woods most of the fishing is for salmon and trout so not too much in the way of local expertise with regards to sea stuff!
A few things I would like to know (to start with that is!). We will be shore fishing with a choice of shallow sandy or deep and rocky.

1) What should I fish for?
2) Is there a guide as to what to fish for on a monthly basis?
3) Can I eat all that I catch? (I know about the weaver species)

Heres hoping that someone out there can advise

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,009 Posts
Hello the Dunns! :D

Welcome to the site!

I don't know a lot about the coast line up there, but i'm sure somebody will somewhere!

Question1: Cod, Pollack, Flatties and the occasional Bass should be present around there. Conger off the rocks in the deeper places too. I'd suggest if you fish the shallower beaches, you do so at night as it will maximise your chances. Night fishing is usually best for most types of shore angling. From a safety point of view, fish the rocks in the daylight and know your paths up and down well before you venture out at night.

Question 2: Were actually working on something like that for our new version of this site, it doesnt help you now lol, but it should be avaliable for when the new site is avaliable. If you have a scroll through some of our fish species articles you'll get an idea of when the fish will show up and what methods, baits and terrain they respond to best.

Question 3: Within reason you can eat most fish you catch. Cod, Bass, Pollack and Flounder are good eaters and should be caught quite easily where you are. Although there are specific size limits which you must obey when taking any fish for the table. I personally always add a few inches ontop of the size limits that are given before taking a fish. Also (this is not a telling off ;) ) it is always in the best interests of our sport to put back anything we don't want for the table. If you know its not going to be eaten or have any doubt, slip it back so it can grow some more and be caught again when its twice as big :D What we take as anglers is generally quite insignificant compared to the commercials, but we can all do our bit.

Other that, all I can say is good luck mate and may you be hooked on sea angling for life! Don't hesitate to post any questions you have and please put in your catch reports in the Scotland forum so we can see how you are getting on ;)

Many Tight Lines

Mike Jr

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Folks,

Welcome to a great site, I hope that you get as much enjoyment from it as I do.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
ROBSTA. no permit needed. good place for mackerel in the summer. dingwall dunns ask a mod to stick this in the scotland section and youll get more info. im almost local so any questions just shout.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi dingwall dunns. was thinking of trying around your area. just woundering if you started round that area and if you have cought and what you have cought? I normaly fish scrabster just wanted to try out a few more place.

jay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts