World Sea Fishing Forums banner

cromarty ross shire fishing

10K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  redneck dek 
#1 ·
just joined this forum so thought i`d do a post about the fishing up in the highlands. I fish cromarty and the surrounding area the best thing is the water is real deep worst is that its a big area oh yeah and the dolphins and seals and the occasional whale. Tons of mackerel from the harbour from august to sep, conger under the harbour and flatties out the front. Cod all year and pollack and i reckon there is some big skate too. I have been fishing up here for ten years and its hard going, fishing a whole week on your best marks and sometimes nothing other times every cast catches! Use everything lug,rag,peelers,squid,mackerel and lures they all work, fresh is best though. Long casts are required from the shore so clip down with a bait shield or i have recently started using a dvice lead they are great and really easy to use. Oh yeah i have started catching bass up near tain on 35g tobys about 4-5 lb. So i you are up on holiday take a rod and some feathers might be worth it.

#2 ·
Very helpful post, Welcome to the forum. I'm thinking of going camping up your way in the next couple of weeks, can you suggest anywhere I could stick a tent up and fish from with a chance of catching? prefferably out the way of towns, get a bit of peace. Last time I drove past on the way to Thurso the whole area looked likely for Mullet, have you ever seen or caught any in the area?

#4 ·
:g:Have to admit that I find this post very interesting. I have only ever seen 3 posts on the forum regarding Cromarty and one I put on myself after a fruitless day on the rocks in the company of Cononfisher and quite honestly never thought of the place as a good fishing area. Having read this it looks like I will have to give it another go sometime.:doh:

#5 ·
there was big common skate in the firth,theres a deep channel that runs from the harbour right out through the sutors,there was also abundance of thornbacks,at the end of the terminal at nigg there was mark there called the black bouy ,4 obvious reasons and thornbacks and flatties were caught there ,but trawlers i think scooped everthing up,but in the last couple of years i know one of the local boats has had thornbacks by accident ,between crom and invergordon

#6 ·
your right about the skate i was standing on the harbour today and there was a big one floated right past about 6 ft out. Trawlers aren`t allowed past the sutors they get chased by the fishery officers from inver gordon and while i`m on the subject i was over at peterhead last week and that port had 37 officers! On speaking to one he mentioned that there are plans afoot to have an officer at every harbour and they want to log rod caught fish from shore boat or harbour.

#7 ·
:g:Have to admit that I find this post very interesting. I have only ever seen 3 posts on the forum regarding Cromarty and one I put on myself after a fruitless day on the rocks in the company of Cononfisher and quite honestly never thought of the place as a good fishing area. Having read this it looks like I will have to give it another go sometime.:doh:
its definetly not a top area. That said i have caught cod,sea trout,mackies,pollock and even the odd lobster. You definetly have to work hard though. Loads of food though i have never seen so many sandeels and pollock fry around the harbour.

#8 ·
Very helpful post, Welcome to the forum. I'm thinking of going camping up your way in the next couple of weeks, can you suggest anywhere I could stick a tent up and fish from with a chance of catching? prefferably out the way of towns, get a bit of peace. Last time I drove past on the way to Thurso the whole area looked likely for Mullet, have you ever seen or caught any in the area?
Haven`t caught any but that doesn`t mean they ain`t there:g: You can camp at rosemarkie or fortrose both sites are nxt to the shore. I would give the harbour a go should be quit by the time you come, its combat fishing just now:clap2:

#10 ·
yes the trawlers were stopped many years ago but did far 2 much damage ,hope one day stocks will come back,havent tried 4 a few years but the sand bank in front of the links i used 2 catch lovely plaice there and its great 4 digging lug
Ah ah a man in the know! Thats one of my favourite spots and even better the lug washes up on the beach beside you:bounce:

#11 ·
Morning all,

Rather than start a new thread up, I've dug this one back up.

My question is, how is Cromarty fishing at the moment and what rigs and bait do you recommend. (Be there from next tuesday)

Finally, as I will be staying in Invergordon can anyone recomend somewhere i can get bait from

Thanks in anticipation

Chalky

#14 ·
Was at Cromarty beach today. No joy, I'm afraid. Just cleared the seabed of weed! But didn't manage to loose any rigs.

Did notice, however, that someone's rowing boat, tethered to the foreshore and by a buoy a few yards out, having been on the beach some 3 hours before, had just disappeared below the waves as the tide had come in. Not much of a tide, but quite a swell being whipped up by the onshore wind, and every wave was whipping into the bow of the boat. Stuff floating out everywhere.

Caught a local who knew who it belonged to and was on way to local bar and would tell him. Just hope he can retrieve as much as he can.

This local guy also told me that this morning a good session was had on a boat some 1 mile away with cod and ling aplenty, and, surprisingly for this coast, a rainbow wrasse! And that a very large squid had been caught in the harbour.

Note to self.....must get up earlier when on holiday!

#15 ·
the-bairn,
thanks for the reply, will also definitely be fishing Nigg side and further north hopefully.

Anybody got any recommendations for bait shops?

Thanks again for any replies
The hardware shop on tain high street has frozen baits mate. Nigg beach not that productive to be honest, few flatties and odd sea-trout.

#18 ·
Hi Fellas, I was hoping someone could fill me in on the winter fishing around Cromarty, specifically cod. I'm working up this way of the winter and into spring. I get Sundays off so was hoping to maybe pull a cod a two in. I'm based in Brora and so I've been checking the beaches for sources of bait etc. I notice the abundance of worm on the Dornoch Firth is a conservation area so is off limits for lug worm etc. Are there any decent beaches or tackle shops that sell bait? I'll go visit the hardware shop in Tain.

I know this is an old thread but perhaps I might get lucky.

All the best,
Jay.

#19 ·
Hi Fellas, I was hoping someone could fill me in on the winter fishing around Cromarty, specifically cod. I'm working up this way of the winter and into spring. I get Sundays off so was hoping to maybe pull a cod a two in. I'm based in Brora and so I've been checking the beaches for sources of bait etc. I notice the abundance of worm on the Dornoch Firth is a conservation area so is off limits for lug worm etc. Are there any decent beaches or tackle shops that sell bait? I'll go visit the hardware shop in Tain.

I know this is an old thread but perhaps I might get lucky.

All the best,
Jay.
Hi.
I live a few miles from Tain and haven't found any good bait sources up here. When I had some decent sessions in the summer I mail ordered fresh bait in.
I was aware that Loch Fleet is a protected area and cant be dug. I tried digging at Meikle Ferry. Only had a fork and managed small yellowtails only. Was hard going in sloppy ground.
I'm sure there must be good spots in the area but haven't tried them myself. I always thought Brora and Golspie looked promising, reminded me of south coast beaches but shallower. Probably need to hit some distance to get any depth or fish at night, water is very clear there.
Tarbat ness is heavy ground and must hold some fish, there looks to be a few spots you can hit clear ground.
Really dont see anyone fishing much up here so hard to really know what's out there.
Good luck if you give it a go.

#21 ·
Fish baits always did better for me at brora. Golspie stick to lures.;)
Maddie's all around golspie pier on low.

Reactions: redneck dek
#24 ·
You won't get on with a pump at golspie, quicker trenching with a fork

Reactions: redneck dek
#25 ·
Due to COVID I’ve not fished there for nearly a year!!!
The shop in Tain has limited frozen bait and HIS in Inverness used to do frozen stuff.
I’ve always caught more using fresh bait mind.
Tarbet Ness is a good spot to fish but as said it’s tackle hungry,loads of wrasse there for great fun.
I’ve found it better using a big sliding float to keep off the bottom for cod and pollack.
Meilke ferry I’ve mostly caught pollack and flatties.
Shandwick for flatties too the same as Dornoch.
If you put in the effort there are some good spots to go to 👍

Tim if you are struggling for fresh send me a dm👍🤫

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.