World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
came into Blyth like that once,...but ship wieghed 2Kte......

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Jeeezzzz, thats bloody dodgy. If I thought i had to come back through that every time I went out i would take up golf. Deffo a case for a self bailing deck and an onboard loo.

Raider.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Crossing the bar at Burry Holms was hairy!:giveup::help::boat:

·
Banned
8,125 Posts
Not for the feint hearted - thats for sure.

Anyone every crossed the padstow (doom) bar in a NW gale or seen boats attempt it ?
One of our lot once left PW harbour to attempt it not long (enough) after a gale...........pitch dark and all they could see on the radar was a lump of land which wasn't there on the way in...........a wall of huge breaking seas apparently...........they quickly made their excuses.............selected reverse gear............retreated and retired to lick their wounds in the Golden Lion.........a wise decision methinks............:boat:

·
Banned
8,125 Posts
One of the local boats went in over the bar a few years ago now. Huge sea running in; the bow grounded briefly, and the following sea picked up the stern and very nearly pitch-polled her. (18m boat)
They very nearly lost the boat, but managed to make it through and to the safety of the harbour.
It was a while before the mate went back to sea after that.
I believe my mate was quite moved by the Doom Bar experience..........uncontrolled bowel movement that is...........:marinheir

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
One of the local boats went in over the bar a few years ago now. Huge sea running in; the bow grounded briefly, and the following sea picked up the stern and very nearly pitch-polled her. (18m boat)
They very nearly lost the boat, but managed to make it through and to the safety of the harbour.
It was a while before the mate went back to sea after that.
we had a 10m boat go end to end over bideford bar a few year ago, it can sometimes be a leap of faith with a strong westerly and a good groundswell.what makes it worse is the safe (ish) bit is only 150m wide with white water on the north and south tails either side of the tails are wward ho and saunton sands both beaches known for good surf, on a good day you dont know there is a problem at low water on springs you have the luxury of 3 foot of water

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.