World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite vowing that we’d had enough of the place, the recent reports of rays a plenty at Ty Croes had us scurrying back for one last, last go.

We arrived at about 7:30 armed with peeler, rag, frozen sandeel, mackerel and squid and bags of enthusiasm, we should have known better! Things started off quite well, no sign of the hoards of doggies that usually lie in wait there for us and we caught a few micro dab and whiting but no rays. Never mind we thought, dusk into darkness is supposed to be a hot time for them, there’s time yet. How wrong can you be! The sun had hardly dipped below the horizon before the first telltale rattle started and a few minutes later the first doggie of the night came ashore. From then on it was a doggie a cast and sometimes two on both hooks of a pennel rig, we tried different baits or casting different distances but nothing made any difference. At one point I noticed my mobile was working on an Irish telephone network, I’m sure the signal was bouncing off the backs of the doggies! Eventually we called it a night at around 1:00, by which time Steve had caught 18 doggies and I’d caught 20 and we trudged wearily back to the car vowing never again, that is until we read the next report of rays at Ty Croes.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts