World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all , any of your ever fished in Cuba?
I'm off to Guardalavaca in two weeks and the info I've gathered on the venue is limited to say the least. I'm taking a medium spin outfit, 9 weight fly rod and my trusty Penn jetstream and 525mag.

Haven't got a clue what I'll catch, the Cuban sites are full of disinformation :confused: so any first hand experiences would be welcomed.

I intend to fish as close to the resort as possible so I don't upset her indoors too much. Initial approach will be big lump of Tuna, 6 oz lead and blast it for the deeper water.................. :D

Any advice on a more tchnical approach , species , rigs etc is desperatley needed.

Many Thanks ,

ZAG

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Zag, Matt Hayes went to Cuba & filmed a series, if you can bear to listen to his innane drivel, I'm sure you will be able to find it on the Discovery Home & Leisure website.
I know he went flyfishing for bonefish, spun for tarpon, & boatfished for anything! You might get some insight if you force yourself to watch, (you can always turn the sound off)!
blueskip

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I had hoped the series might provide an insight too, it did.......................... to the cost of producing such a show! Unfortunately for me I cannot afford to hire Game Fishers out at circa $400 per 6 hours and the coverage of shore fishing was non existent. Matty went fishing for bones in Las Salinas, two issues with this venue, one it's several hundred miles away, two its BLOODY expensive and mainly guided fishing only.

Thanks for the reply though.

Regards.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Zag ! wish i was going back! We stayed on Cayo Guillermo (the Gardens of the king) Jardines del rae ! think thats spelt correctly,but may be wrong.!? whilst there the species available were hugh! if you are going to blast to deeper water as you say!! you may have to walk a fair way out first unless you fish at dusk when the Barrcuda ,and snapper come close !You can get cuda on plugs around the same time or if the flats are extensive try to find some shrimp patterns tied on heavy hooks,and try for the bone fish! Shooting head or W/F line should be good ! A rod of say 91/2 ft taking 8 or 10 line should be fine. Hope the weathers good,and hot for you ! it averaged 95 c when we were there .Should be a little cooler now.And if you dont fish enjoy the people,and the Culture.Tight Lines .......Kevin
P.S. If it`s Bone Fish your after! Remember if you hook one Keep hold of your rod,and let go of the reel!!! dont try to break the run !! better still have a geared fly real ! but still dont try to stop the reel !Good Luck !

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sam ,

Which side of the island were you on ? We're staying in the South Eastern area on the Atlantic side. Was it the Carribean or Atlantic you were fishing ?

As for wading out , hmmm, might consider it in the daytime but certainly not at night. Fortunately / unfortuately ? watched a documentary recently and Bull sharks breed in the Cuba area, nasty critters. Also been corresponding with a Canadian guy who relayed a tale of wading out 2/300 yds to the edge of the drop off only to have something about six feet long explode on his plug and strip every ounce of 30lb braid off his multiplier. Apparently it came up from the deep blue just as the plug was being pulled back towards the reef edge !!!!! May have been a tarpon , may have been a Cuda or maybe ....... it was a shark!!! :eek: Either which way the thought of being eaten isn't appealing. Might have to rob a pedalo if they have them there !

Cheers for the tips though , did you use any bait and if so how did you obtain it ?

Thanks .

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Zagman

Please post how you get on. I am looking into going in July, and was wondering exactly the same thing as you.

How, where, how big, what bait or lure, what rod and reel etc etc.

Thanks in anticicpation.

·
Registered
438 Posts
hi if you want to find out about cuba go to www.virual tourist.com on the map go for central america then cuba i went to sri lanka and i had loads of info of the local if you want any more info call me

·
Registered
16 Posts
Zag! We were on the Atlantic side.As for bait !! thats a little more tricky! fortunatly one of the staff working the hotel went fishing twice a week,and if i was lucky i could get some off him.Otherwise it was a case of small hooks,and bread there are plenty of fish both predators and prey in as little as 3ft of water, more frequently as the flood starts!.Though i must say the rise of tide seemed to be little where we were,and the depth constant!.Maybe only 4ft rise! As for wading! at low water we could wade out 300 yrds from shore to chest high, and all the Cuban staff said that Yes there is sharks,but if you saw one from the shore you were very lucky.However a bloke from Canada had a 12lb cuda from the shore at Dusk! in maybe 4 ft of water.I can only say what it was like in the area that we were in.I`m affraid you will have to wait an see whats available to you.!the game boats in the area cost $350.00 for the boat! split it down as many times as you want for the number of ppl going. Catch Cuda (and some big ones ) all day long. If you get a good skipper he may even go off shore,and drag some lures for Marlin or Tuna.
P.S. Dont forget your Snorkling gear the water is so clear you should see loads of brilliantly coloured fish .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts