World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>Hi all,

I am planning a trip to Cuba and of course will be doing some fishing. I am looking for any information I can get with regard to tackle, especially in the Fly tackle as I am new to Sea fly fishing. any one got any advice on the type of rods lures reel I should bring ?</font>

D

·
0 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I suspect you&#39;re going to struggle. &nbsp;From what I&#39;ve heard the inshore waters have been largely fished out by locals. &nbsp;And whilst there&#39;re are prolific areas for Bonefish and Tarpon they are in offshore areas in the Marine National Park and normally fished as part of week long packages from a Mothercraft.

So really two suggestions. &nbsp;Firstly in case you are able to hire and guide and a skiff take a 7 or 8 weight rod, preferably with a fast action and a reel with a good drag system holding minimally 200 yards of backing. &nbsp;A tropical forward tapered floating line should do. &nbsp;(You&#39;ll find that most UK lines will just &#39;collapse&#39; in the heat. &nbsp;In terms of flies, weighted flies on 6 or size 4 hooks would suffice. &nbsp;&#39;Gotcha&#39; patterns, simulating shrimps, would work well as would the ubiquitious &#39;Clouser&#39; which relies on action and mimics most prey species. &nbsp;So that outfit would be fine for Bonefish or small Snapper. &nbsp;For the Tarpon, most of which seem to be small fish up to 35lbs or so, you need to step up to a 10 or 12 weight rod, floating or intermediate line, and appropriate fly patterns.

Cuba&#39;s not an area I&#39;ve fished but could I perhaps also suggest you posting to the forum on www.reel-time.com or www.flyfishinsalt.com &nbsp;Both have large audiences of Caribbean flyfishers. &nbsp;And despite US restrictions many Americans get to Cuba via either the Bahamas or Canada. &nbsp;I understand local immigration officials offer tourists the opportunity of either stamping the passport, or stamping a separate piece of paper. &nbsp;You might also get some background information from Frontiers web site www.frontierstrvl.com.
Kindest Regards
Dave West
PS I haven&#39;t re-registered with this forum yet but should you want any clarification feel free to contact me on [email protected]</font>

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
<font color='#000000'>There is a current posting on

http://www.flyfishinsalt.com/forum.jsp?ID=6673

relating to Cuba, that might give you a starting point. &nbsp;One of the respondents particularly appeared to be quite willing to pass on information.

There was also reference to a European web site -

www.medflyfish.com

which also contained a thread on Cuban fly fishing. &nbsp;It&#39;s supposedly a bi-lingual site - English and Italian. &nbsp;But I&#39;m sure if you get stuck you could resort to translation through www.babelfish.com.</font>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts