World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wey me and jacky mannaged to grab a couple of hours and go fishing lastnite.
Cullercoats harbour was the destination. High water was at 6.30pm we got there about an hour later to fish most of the ebb.
Weve only ever fished there at low water so didn't know any high water marks of that area.
We were thinking about fishing the harbour walls but people who fish there will know you can't go on the north wall coz its far too dangerous youl get washed strait off. And when the tides in you can't get to the south wall via the beach so we drove a bit further north(only about 100metres). There's a pub on the right so we pulled in and went down to the prom. There was a bloke fishing there who had his van on the prom itself haha what a belta. So he told us to take the next right after the pub and follow the road round. What a class spot. You can fish out of your car boot strait off the prom railings and into some class gulleys(You can't see the gulleys at high water so it's best to have a look at low water so you can choose your target areas). Luckily for us the bloke was a local expert haha he told us about all the fishing marks between cullercoats and Whitley bay and the best times to fish them, what a nice bloke he was, we were getting loads of tips and he was a fountain of knowledge i just wish I had a note pad to write down all this info coz my memories not the best.
Anyways we got set up with squid, mussel and rag and also some very welcomed peeler crab off the bloke we met as he was leaving.
The sea was canny big lastnite there was a bit of a swell on but 6oz sinkers mannaged to hold ground pretty well.
We only mannaged to fish off the prom a couple of hours(I wish we got there to fish both sides of high) coz we were getting some canny bites but didn't mannage to connect with any. I hate that me, its a fine line between "striking to soon and missing it".
A couple of hours into the ebb and you can't really fish the prom unless you have a decent cast coz the skeers start to show pretty quick as the water receeds away. So we decided to go down the steps and walk over to the north harbour wall(it's very slippy and next time il be taking stooded wellies or waders rather then the old nike air max i chucked on lol).
Fished the harbour wall for just over an hour and there was loads of fish there coz again lots of interest just didn't connect(If anyone could give me tips on the perfect time to strike il be buzzing coz i should of cought 20 fish lastnite haha).
We were just about to go home after a good night of learning a new area for the next time and I was on yesssss... hahahaha.....

-codling.
-new p.b
-2.5lbs
-micky j over the knot.
- :happydance:

Happy days a little bonus to end a canny night in cullercoats.

Got home for about 1.30am and gutted and filleted my monster fish(not really haha)
Anyone new like me who wants to try filleting a fish, make sure you buy either a filleting knife or have a decent knife sharpener coz its like trying to cut through a car tyre and if you don't have a sharp knife it will end up like f*****g scrambled eggs mate.
Feeling nice and warmed up ready for the amble open on sunday..

55°02'11"N 1°25'52"W
Type this into Google maps or your sat nav and it will take you directly to the prom for some great high water fishing.

P.s. jacky blanked haha 3-2 now.

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks guy. It's a great high water mark mate a good 5 hours fishing(more if you can cast 100+yrds)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well done, especially on the PB.. Look forward to beating your PB again this sunday with an even heavier fish for you. See you sunday, bud.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Cullercoats harbour was the destination. High water was at 6.30pm we got there about an hour later to fish most of the ebb.
Weve only ever fished there at low water so didn't know any high water marks of that area.
We were thinking about fishing the harbour walls but people who fish there will know you can't go on the north wall coz its far too dangerous youl get washed strait off. And when the tides in you can't get to the south wall via the beach so we drove a bit further north(only about 100metres). There's a pub on the right so we pulled in and went down to the prom. There was a bloke fishing there who had his van on the prom itself haha what a belta. So he told us to take the next right after the pub and follow the road round. What a class spot. You can fish out of your car boot strait off the prom railings and into some class gulleys(You can't see the gulleys at high water so it's best to have a look at low water so you can choose your target areas). Luckily for us the bloke was a local expert haha he told us about all the fishing marks between cullercoats and Whitley bay and the best times to fish them, what a nice bloke he was, we were getting loads of tips and he was a fountain of knowledge i just wish I had a note pad to write down all this info coz my memories not the best.
Anyways we got set up with squid, mussel and rag and also some very welcomed peeler crab off the bloke we met as he was leaving.
The sea was canny big lastnite there was a bit of a swell on but 6oz sinkers mannaged to hold ground pretty well.
We only mannaged to fish off the prom a couple of hours(I wish we got there to fish both sides of high) coz we were getting some canny bites but didn't mannage to connect with any. I hate that me, its a fine line between "striking to soon and missing it".
A couple of hours into the ebb and you can't really fish the prom unless you have a decent cast coz the skeers start to show pretty quick as the water receeds away. So we decided to go down the steps and walk over to the north harbour wall(it's very slippy and next time il be taking stooded wellies or waders rather then the old nike air max i chucked on lol).
Fished the harbour wall for just over an hour and there was loads of fish there coz again lots of interest just didn't connect(If anyone could give me tips on the perfect time to strike il be buzzing coz i should of cought 20 fish lastnite haha).
We were just about to go home after a good night of learning a new area for the next time and I was on yesssss... hahahaha.....

-codling.
-new p.b
-2.5lbs
-micky j over the knot.

Got home for about 1.30am and gutted and filleted my monster fish(not really haha)
Anyone new like me who wants to try filleting a fish, make sure you buy either a filleting knife or have a decent knife sharpener coz its like trying to cut through a car tyre and if you don't have a sharp knife it will end up like f*****g scrambled eggs mate.

55°02'11"N 1°25'52"W
Type this into Google maps or your sat nav and it will take you directly to the prom for some great high water fishing.

tell you what mickey

youd get a much cleaner filler if , when you catch one, give it a whack on the head and get a pair of scizzors under the gill plates and snip a gill raker each side

dont hit it hard enough to wipe it out big time, just a decent rap on the box
this will leave it well n truly out for the count, and snipping the rakers gives you a much cleaner, whiter tastier fillet, as it bleeds out in a few minutes
no little black lines in the fillet when cooked

also, soon as its bled, gut it to stop any worms migrating into the flesh post mortem, as they tend to migrate to the flesh after death, from the belly cavity area
\

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well done, especially on the PB.. Look forward to beating your PB again this sunday with an even heavier fish for you. See you sunday, bud.
Yea mate im gunna smash it hopefully haha weathers looking good for Sunday mate il be happy with any size fish but another p.b is my target

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tell you what mickey

youd get a much cleaner filler if , when you catch one, give it a whack on the head and get a pair of scizzors under the gill plates and snip a gill raker each side

dont hit it hard enough to wipe it out big time, just a decent rap on the box
this will leave it well n truly out for the count, and snipping the rakers gives you a much cleaner, whiter tastier fillet, as it bleeds out in a few minutes
no little black lines in the fillet when cooked

also, soon as its bled, gut it to stop any worms migrating into the flesh post mortem, as they tend to migrate to the flesh after death, from the belly cavity area
\
Thanks mate i never knew any of that. I'l copy this so I can look back at it for next time. I'm still a bit green when it comes to filleting fish like and i messed 1 of the fillets up a bit But I'm canny proud of the other 1 like haha looks like a chef Ramsey special lol

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Thanks mate i never knew any of that. I'l copy this so I can look back at it for next time. I'm still a bit green when it comes to filleting fish like and i messed 1 of the fillets up a bit But I'm canny proud of the other 1 like haha looks like a chef Ramsey special lol
ive wrecked many a fillet mate
especially if im knackered

however, nowadays, i only take the top of the fillet off above the belly cavity and the full back end
i never keep the belly slab up to the pin bones in the middle, too many worms !, and they are a waste of time trying to skin

always recommend skinning em before cooking as well, as when skinned, hold up under the kitchen light ( or over a light box) and you will see if there are any little worms in the flesh
they wont kill ya, BUT, if the mrs or kids get one, they wont be quite so understanding about your next trip out, and will mumble "" dont want any of that wormy sh 1t bringing back in th house blah blah blah !!!!!, so dont know why you are going blah blah blah!!!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ive wrecked many a fillet mate
especially if im knackered

however, nowadays, i only take the top of the fillet off above the belly cavity and the full back end
i never keep the belly slab up to the pin bones in the middle, too many worms !, and they are a waste of time trying to skin

always recommend skinning em before cooking as well, as when skinned, hold up under the kitchen light ( or over a light box) and you will see if there are any little worms in the flesh
they wont kill ya, BUT, if the mrs or kids get one, they wont be quite so understanding about your next trip out, and will mumble "" dont want any of that wormy sh 1t bringing back in th house blah blah blah !!!!!, so dont know why you are going blah blah blah!!!
Hahahahahha are you trying to put me off fish for the rest of my life? Lol.
I'm gunna be chopping them up into cm cubes and checking them with a magnifying glass next haha only joking. But I mite cut the belly bit off like you say mate coz theres quite a few bones in that little centre section... And from now on il be defo gutting it instantly..

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Hahahahahha are you trying to put me off fish for the rest of my life? Lol.
I'm gunna be chopping them up into cm cubes and checking them with a magnifying glass next haha only joking. But I mite cut the belly bit off like you say mate coz theres quite a few bones in that little centre section... And from now on il be defo gutting it instantly..

long as they are skinned and held up to the light, should not be an issue

the worms move from in the belly outward upon death and after, before organ degradation im led to believe

mine are bled n gutted within 10 mins of capture

·
Registered
444 Posts
Awesome write up Micky.. I always end up in tears of laughter reading about your exploits! :BigGrin::BigGrin:
What a great session you both had and a decent fish to end it... bonus! Just a quick tip.. if you're fishing in the dark try to keep lighting to a minimum.. fish are nervous enough and light on the water will deter any fish from coming in close mate.. thinking car headlights here! Cutting only one of the rakers will keep blood pressure up and help bleed faster and deffo give you whiter flesh but I wouldn't worry too much about worms as they sharp die when dropped into a hot pan of oil, :BigGrin: oh and it's extra protein too;)

·
Registered
209 Posts

-codling.
-new p.b
-2.5lbs
-micky j over the knot.

55°02'11"N 1°25'52"W

Did yous lose must gear casting into the gullies

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome write up Micky.. I always end up in tears of laughter reading about your exploits! :BigGrin::BigGrin:
What a great session you both had and a decent fish to end it... bonus! Just a quick tip.. if you're fishing in the dark try to keep lighting to a minimum.. fish are nervous enough and light on the water will deter any fish from coming in close mate.. thinking car headlights here! Cutting only one of the rakers will keep blood pressure up and help bleed faster and deffo give you whiter flesh but I wouldn't worry too much about worms as they sharp die when dropped into a hot pan of oil, :BigGrin: oh and it's extra protein too;)
Haha class cheers Andy mate, I didn't even think about my car lights till now haha how thick am I? I should of realised that marra but it didn't even come to mind marra. I will defo be doing it next time mate hopefully it will improve my catch rate marra.
Your gunna think im daft here, dont tell anyone but iv never even thought about even draining the blood out of a fish mate and the reason why is because when you cut a rabbit open or whatever your hunting blood goes all over and you can see veins and it stinks and its dark meat ect. So its common sence but when I fillet a fish theres not much blood at all, maybe a little bit when you pull the guts out but you don't see many veins and it all looks nice and white(maybe a little bit pink lol) but it never even occurred to me to slit the throat mate. You do learn plenty on this forum and I cant wait to tell jacky how to get a "whiter, brighter" cut of meat from his fillet of codling

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did yous lose must gear casting into the gullies
No mate i was very suprised actually coz theres quite a bit kelp. Maybe only 2 or 3 sinkers and I think thats only coz i was using rotten bottoms. I think rotten bottoms are great but sometimes I think you could of got your weight back if the weak line didnt snap too easy. I think im going to increase my rotten bottom b.s. to 20-22lb. Rather then 12lb.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Great result Micky. Did you get it on the peeler? It's so frustrating not being able to connect with bites. But worthwhile sticking with it. You tend to be able to get onto the skeers until at least 3 hours after high tide. Good luck for the weekend.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great result Micky. Did you get it on the peeler? It's so frustrating not being able to connect with bites. But worthwhile sticking with it. You tend to be able to get onto the skeers until at least 3 hours after high tide. Good luck for the weekend.
Thanks mate, yes it was the peeler, half a baby squid and a mussel slapped on the side. I didnt realise how much juices the peeler crab actually had it a propper class bait marra it must send out a massive scent trail. Do you fish there much? I like them skeers me plenty of action on a good day i dare say youl catch a bag full mate. it just screams massive cod

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well done Mickey I'm dead chuffed for you good luck on Sunday and give us a shout next time your up cullercoats way I will meet up with you.
Nice 1 paul i will do mate its a cracking spot mate next weekend if your free il pick you up and we will have a few hours over high water mate

1 - 20 of 26 Posts