World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lastnite me and jacky went to cullercoats(thanks to this forum its helped us find some fantastic marks).
There's a free carpark strait opposite the harbour so we parked there and walked strait down onto the beach, across the beach and up and over the south breakwater onto the rocks.
We got there about 8pm and fished 1 and a half hours either side of low tide, we didnt know the area so it was a bit daunting coz you have to walk quite a distance, across a flat bed of rocks (i preffer a slope so when tide comes in you can jump up to the next ledge)
so we didnt know if we were going to get cut off or not but the sea was quite flat so we decided to go ahead.
We both had our beachcasters set up with single hook pulley rigs and 4oz weights. For bait we had squid and mussels, also iv found some stuff on eBay called "sea slime", its a glow in the dark ragworm flavoured oil( haha I'm still experimenting)
First cast jacky got snagged and lost all his gear haha. I hate it when that happens anyways he got his gear set up again and cast back in and within a minute he was pulling at his rod again. I thought he was snagged up again but he was working his reel so it can't of been, maybe it's kelp i thought but anyways I put my rod down and worked my way to the end of the rocks to help land his kelp haha. I was wrong the lucky bugger had only been in the water 2 minutes and he pulled out a lovelly red codling, it wasn't massive but for begginers like us anything's class haha. Lovelly colour aswell. It was 40cm i dont know the weight but we kept it anyways for fish and chip friday.
After that jacky was getting snagged up nearly every cast and lost quite a few rigs and weights and even snapped his reel. I didnt get snagged at all, i think it must of been because I was casting strait ahead towards the north pier and the ground must of been fair. Jacky was casting further out to sea, nearly parallel to the rocks so it was rougher ground but that's where landed the cod!! Personally I would rather get snagged a few times and catch a fish then have an easy night but blank!!
We only stayed for 3 hours and had a few bits of niggles but no more fish. It's a good spot and with a bit more knowledge of the mark i think it will do well. I think you will only be able to fish the mark a couple of hours either side of low water then you will be knee deep and will probably have to move onto the south harbour wall.
On the way back we walked across the beach and there was loads of sand piles (looked like miniature dog poo) turns out it's rag or lugworm. Yesss theres millions of them and it will save fortunes next time we go if we just take a shuvel and dig some up.
Can anyone with experience help? Just any tips on how to dig them, do we need any special tools or just a shovel and bucket, thanks.
P.s im guna leave pics of all my marks i fish incase anyone else who is new like us and dont really know where to fish can try our spots. Coz I read loads of excellent threads but im gutted because I dont understand where the mark is and i really want to fish good marks haha.
20181206_210021.jpg
IMG-20181206-WA0039.jpg
Screenshot_20181207-145326_Gallery.jpg
20181207_152647.jpg

·
Registered
148 Posts
Lastnite me and jacky went to cullercoats(thanks to this forum its helped us find some fantastic marks).
There's a free carpark strait opposite the harbour so we parked there and walked strait down onto the beach, across the beach and up and over the south breakwater onto the rocks.
We got there about 8pm and fished 1 and a half hours either side of low tide, we didnt know the area so it was a bit daunting coz you have to walk quite a distance, across a flat bed of rocks (i preffer a slope so when tide comes in you can jump up to the next ledge)
so we didnt know if we were going to get cut off or not but the sea was quite flat so we decided to go ahead.
We both had our beachcasters set up with single hook pulley rigs and 4oz weights. For bait we had squid and mussels, also iv found some stuff on eBay called "sea slime", its a glow in the dark ragworm flavoured oil( haha I'm still experimenting)
First cast jacky got snagged and lost all his gear haha. I hate it when that happens anyways he got his gear set up again and cast back in and within a minute he was pulling at his rod again. I thought he was snagged up again but he was working his reel so it can't of been, maybe it's kelp i thought but anyways I put my rod down and worked my way to the end of the rocks to help land his kelp haha. I was wrong the lucky bugger had only been in the water 2 minutes and he pulled out a lovelly red codling, it wasn't massive but for begginers like us anything's class haha. Lovelly colour aswell. It was 40cm i dont know the weight but we kept it anyways for fish and chip friday.
After that jacky was getting snagged up nearly every cast and lost quite a few rigs and weights and even snapped his reel. I didnt get snagged at all, i think it must of been because I was casting strait ahead towards the north pier and the ground must of been fair. Jacky was casting further out to sea, nearly parallel to the rocks so it was rougher ground but that's where landed the cod!! Personally I would rather get snagged a few times and catch a fish then have an easy night but blank!!
We only stayed for 3 hours and had a few bits of niggles but no more fish. It's a good spot and with a bit more knowledge of the mark i think it will do well. I think you will only be able to fish the mark a couple of hours either side of low water then you will be knee deep and will probably have to move onto the south harbour wall.
On the way back we walked across the beach and there was loads of sand piles (looked like miniature dog poo) turns out it's rag or lugworm. Yesss theres millions of them and it will save fortunes next time we go if we just take a shuvel and dig some up.
Can anyone with experience help? Just any tips on how to dig them, do we need any special tools or just a shovel and bucket, thanks.
P.s im guna leave pics of all my marks i fish incase anyone else who is new like us and dont really know where to fish can try our spots. Coz I read loads of excellent threads but im gutted because I dont understand where the mark is and i really want to fish good marks haha. View attachment 1137647 View attachment 1137649 View attachment 1137651 View attachment 1137653
It’s been quiet on here all week, it’s good to read someone is getting out. Good report Mickey.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha maybe the auto correct on ye phone thinks I'm Mickey mouse haha.
Thanks guy we just used to get out on weekends because of work but decided that wasn't enough so gunna be getting out 1 night during the week just for a few hours somewhere closer and just travel light mate and there's a few good places round whitley bay

·
Registered
444 Posts
Great report Micky.. it might be worth using rotten bottoms on untested marks.. it'll save money in the long run.
I've been stuck in the house all week doing some decorating and was gonna try getting out tomorrow afternoon.. but not sure yet!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Andy, yes iv just set up a load of rotten bottom rigs for next time we go actually coz the line is that thin its hard to see and tie knots with it in the cold and dark mate. I'm wary about using 12lb line?? Is it too weak? It looks like it will snap even if just slightly snagged? My snood is 30 and main body is 60, can i and should i go thicker mate?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I asked a question about this on the Locker a week or so back and the general consensus was to use line less than your snoods, mine are normally 30-40lb so I use 25lb for the rotten bottoms mate.. as long as its less than your snoods it'll give before they do!

·
Registered
213 Posts
You would be ok going further out on the south skeer. Just be careful going from one ridge to the next - I once stepped in what I thought was a shallow pool and went chest deep in water - over my chest waders! Bobbed around like a cork.
For digging lugworm the best bet is to dig a trench, one spade deep (but better using a fork - that way you avoid chopping the worms in half). They live in a u shaped burrow, with one end the sandy swirls, the other end a circular depression in the sand. When you get the worms home, spread them out in layers of newspaper to draw excess water out and firm them up.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rite mate, im gunna change mine coz it feels far too weak. I think il go 25 aswell mate coz i still want to be able to give it a couple of tugs to see if I can free it before it snaps. Thanks andy

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Dave, we were about 50yards from the south harbour wall and i could see we could of went further atleast another 50 from what I could see just didn't dare go any further incase we got caught by the tide haha. Il definitly give it a go next time because thats where jacky was casting towards when he caught the fish mate. I think il pop up during the day at low water to check it out mate

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You would be ok going further out on the south skeer. Just be careful going from one ridge to the next - I once stepped in what I thought was a shallow pool and went chest deep in water - over my chest waders! Bobbed around like a cork.
For digging lugworm the best bet is to dig a trench, one spade deep (but better using a fork - that way you avoid chopping the worms in half). They live in a u shaped burrow, with one end the sandy swirls, the other end a circular depression in the sand. When you get the worms home, spread them out in layers of newspaper to draw excess water out and firm them up.
Dave do you have to gut them before you freeze them mate? If so how the hell do you gut a worm mate haha??

·
Registered
634 Posts
Most lug that you dig around here are blow lug that shouldn’t be gutted. Put them in an inch of sea water in a cat litter tray and store them in the fridge. Change the water every day and don’t keep too many in each tray if you want them to last a week or two.

When I was a bairn I dug lug in Cullercoats, I wouldn’t dig there now as the lifeboat launches at one side of the bay and jetskis and boats launch at the other side. They won’t be too chuffed to get stuck in soft sand left from bait diggers. Try digging at St Mary’s Island or the boat station just south of there if you want fresh lug. They’ll be deep at this time of year and you’ll soon understand why bait diggers deserve their money.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks very much for the info baddox. We were gunna have a look round st marys coz it looks a decent mark. Luckily jacky is like a machine with a shovel coz hes worked on the roads all his life. I'm not the best haha but il be good at watching and cheering him on lol. There's not much info on the internet about catching your own baits so its appreciated thanks

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha is that just while digging worms or while your fishing aswell haha. Best take me hard hat lol

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thanks Andy, yes iv just set up a load of rotten bottom rigs for next time we go actually coz the line is that thin its hard to see and tie knots with it in the cold and dark mate. I'm wary about using 12lb line?? Is it too weak? It looks like it will snap even if just slightly snagged? My snood is 30 and main body is 60, can i and should i go thicker mate?
I use 12lb mono for my rotten bottom link, you should have no problems at all provided you use a proper rotten bottom device/link. Its far better the 12lb mono snapping than the rig body or shock leader as all you lose is a sinker.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just use a clip upside down connected to the weight clip. It seems to do the job mate. Just the 12lb snaps pretty easy. It mite be just the cheap line im using?
I use 12lb mono for my rotten bottom link, you should have no problems at all provided you use a proper rotten bottom device/link. Its far better the 12lb mono snapping than the rig body or shock leader as all you lose is a sinker.

·
Registered
208 Posts
P.s im guna leave pics of all my marks i fish incase anyone else who is new like us and dont really know where to fish can try our spots. Coz I read loads of excellent threads but im gutted because I dont understand where the mark is and i really want to fish good marks haha. View attachment 1137647 View attachment 1137649 View attachment 1137651 View attachment 1137653
Glad yous tryed it saddke rocks out yeah you have put you gear right in the middle of the cabbage and slippey limpets on youtube fished the same place as you

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad yous tryed it saddke rocks out yeah you have put you gear right in the middle of the cabbage and slippey limpets on youtube fished the same place as you
Thanks for the heads up mate, iv just watched it and that looks like the exact spot we were fishing at. I think were gunna pop up 1 night this week after graft coz it looks like a good codling mark.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks for the heads up mate, iv just watched it and that looks like the exact spot we were fishing at. I think were gunna pop up 1 night this week after graft coz it looks like a good codling mark.
If you are standing on that mark there is a rocky outcrop just before you hit tynemouth long sands i call it south crab hill but im sure its called slateys gut ive only fished once but caught two kelpys off there 2lbs each i went on there and casted north 40_ 50 yards but watch out the tide does cut you off i would not fish there in the dark or when its foggy but that just me im a **** swimmer not as though that would help this time of year . Hope this helps

1 - 20 of 29 Posts