World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Good to see the issue getting some coverage - I almost feel like buying a TV license!

Obviously we all want the Bass stocks improved and the 45cm idea would help a lot. However If it only applies to British fishing boats then it would still allow the Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, even Greek Boats to continue to Rape our seas as they have done ever since our waters were stolen from us when we joined the EU. It disgusts me.

The only solution is for us to leave the EU, reclaim our territorial waters, and have the Royal Navy blow out of the water any foreign boats found fishing there.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Good to see the issue getting some coverage - I almost feel like buying a TV license!

Obviously we all want the Bass stocks improved and the 45cm idea would help a lot. However If it only applies to British fishing boats then it would still allow the Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, even Greek Boats to continue to Rape our seas as they have done ever since our waters were stolen from us when we joined the EU. It disgusts me.

The only solution is for us to leave the EU, reclaim our territorial waters, and have the Royal Navy blow out of the water any foreign boats found fishing there.

Could you clarify your statement.....I mean which seas are we talking about. The ones form 0-6 miles or the 6-12 mile limit. And what boats are we talking about here. Netters. trawlers, pair trawlers... such a damning statement needs clarifying for the good of all.

I mean for example....recent scientific studies have shown that less than 5% of the bass in inshore waters (UK) migrate offshore to spawn. So the notion that the French/Spanish/Beligium trawlers will capture all our fish is pretty sketchy to say the least.

Our own inshore fleet needs to be put in order first before we tackle the "Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, even Greek Boats who continue to Rape our seas".....mmmmm

I wonder how many people on this forum are up to date with all legislation, fact and figures.....

not many I would surmise.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wotcha Tony,

You're right that I'm not up on current legislation, but my point is more about EU fishing Policy generally than Bass specifically. I'm totally in favour of a 45cm limit.

The link given said that the new limit would not apply to foriegn boats who would be able to continue to do as they please.

I've read that the EU bought fishing rights of several west Africa countries which ruined the native fishermens livelyhoods - resulting in large scale mass immigration!

I should clarify my politics are right of good old Ghengis!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Wotcha Tony,

The link given said that the new limit would not apply to foriegn boats who would be able to continue to do as they please.

I've read that the EU bought fishing rights of several west Africa countries which ruined the native fishermens livelyhoods - resulting in large scale mass immigration!

I should clarify my politics are right of good old Ghengis!
Hi Moriarty
I think most of us are in favour of the increase to 45cm. The link is 100% correct it would only apply to our boats. However the notion that foreign boats will "ply our seas and catch all our fish" is rather misguided.

There are historic rights to fish and yes, we would see smaller bass being landed at our ports by foreign boats....but we have to put our own house in order and work towards a common EU goal of ultimately protecting the stock....after all its about the stock that we should be concerned with most of all.

In other areas of Uerope there is growing demand from all interested stakeholders being put on EU ministers to review the way fisheries legislation is managed.

Change is definately in the air and for some it will be extremely painful whilst for many others it will a breath of fresh air.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey H.A., Tony,

Nice letter. I may write one myself, but I doubt I'd be able to keep it as civil as you did!

Tony,

work towards a common EU goal of ultimately protecting the stock
I agree, partly, but I doubt that foriegn boats will pay the slightest bit of notice - British boats will (to thier disadvantage). Let the other Europeans fish in their own territorial waters, but - oooops! the Med has been ruined by overfishing, the coasts of France and Spain likewise, now they want to do the same in our backyard!

Battle stations matelots!

British fish quotas are in peril, have a look at:

http://www.duchyfishquota.co.uk/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts