World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a new Okuma Nemesis NE-S-1503MH surf rod casting 150g to 300g locally for about 60 quid equivalent local currency. The handle is 71cm below reel seat.

I fancy buying it for a project to cut down the butt to be short like the SA surf fishing rods for fixed spool.

Will make it a detachable butt too if possible.

Question is what length from bottom of reel seat to butt are those kind of surf rods?

Much obliged.

·
Registered
10,337 Posts
SA style surf rods are designed to be used with a butt pad while fishing, so generally 8" is the length below the lower extremity of the reel seat. While perhaps a worthwhile experiment for you, would it not be better to just mount another reel seat in the lower position while you try the option? Cut about 12-13" of the bottom grip, and slip on a reel seat and a butt button, then give it all a try - the existing upper reel seat shouldn't get in the way while you do the test.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks again for that and your last replies too. I was thinking 8" for hand but had not thought of butt pad. Will get one when i get the rod and try a reel on at different heights with 12-13" bottom for starters as you say. Im only 5'8" and normal arms so would be between that and 8".

·
Registered
11,666 Posts
Cutting around 60cm off the rod will kill it for what you want, making it too short. Doing as previously mentioned is a far better option. Then if you like it you can strip and rebuild the butt. Lots of us here on the north east coast use our rods reel down. Personally i have mine 10in off the bottom. We dont get fish that require a but pad so i just rest it on my hip

·
Registered
10,337 Posts
That measurement is pretty universal down here, with custom and factory rods to that dimension, only when we have a client with a health stomach do we get asked to increase the measurement to 10 or 12" - depending on size of belly. It is a comfortable position to work with.

Reactions: dabcatcher

·
Registered
375 Posts
Before cutting or changing anything I'd tape on a plate reelseat and give the rod as it is a good trial both casting and under the pressure of leaning into the rod with line attached to something immovable. Reel down does take a bit of getting used to, as does fighting powerful fish, but will soon become second nature. It may be that the rod is suitable - I don't know that model - but I've seen too many rods cut down in the hope of making 'improvements' that have basically ruined them. Much less of an issue with J curve blanks (I've cut several down to make uptiders) but a C curve can be ruined. Fools rush in and all that 😉

·
Registered
11,666 Posts
That measurement is pretty universal down here, with custom and factory rods to that dimension, only when we have a client with a health stomach do we get asked to increase the measurement to 10 or 12" - depending on size of belly. It is a comfortable position to work with.
I agree. The reason we tend to have that extra couple of inches is, We dont always have our rods in the rest cup when fishing so the reel can be laid on the floor of a pier or rocks. Also because we arnt using a butt pad the rod butt sinks into your clothing a bit. The reel handle then catches your clothing. For a while i wa the only one locally using a butt pad when fishing the rocks. Because we hold the rod its much more comfortable haveing sat in the butt pad and keeps it higher above the kelp.

·
Registered
10,337 Posts
I agree. The reason we tend to have that extra couple of inches is, We dont always have our rods in the rest cup when fishing so the reel can be laid on the floor of a pier or rocks. Also because we arnt using a butt pad the rod butt sinks into your clothing a bit. The reel handle then catches your clothing. For a while i wa the only one locally using a butt pad when fishing the rocks. Because we hold the rod its much more comfortable haveing sat in the butt pad and keeps it higher above the kelp.
Pretty much how we do most of our fishing here, both socially and in competitions - holding the rod, to react as soon as a bite starts to develop. Rod stands of all sorts are affectionately called 'Pension Pipes", for pensioners.............. 😂 Added to the fact that we don't have wear too many layers of clothes - so don't end up looking like the Michellin man.

Reactions: dabcatcher

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I enjoyed that read. All good context so far. I'm in the middle of a city so i will buy the rod but hold off on the cutting until i can go somewhere to do some casts at different seat positions. My beachcasters in UK are all 12 footers. Shakespeare Europa springs to mind, cant remember the others been so long since I looked at them. Havent cast a rod in 20 yrs. This one i am looking at is 15ft and if i leave 8" on the butt it will be just under 13-1/2ft cut down plus an end stopper which i will need to add. Its nearer 50 quid not 60, so not too expensive and i can keep it as a visitor rod if it all goes pear shaped.

·
Registered
11,666 Posts
I enjoyed that read. All good context so far. I'm in the middle of a city so i will buy the rod but hold off on the cutting until i can go somewhere to do some casts at different seat positions. My beachcasters in UK are all 12 footers. Shakespeare Europa springs to mind, cant remember the others been so long since I looked at them. Havent cast a rod in 20 yrs. This one i am looking at is 15ft and if i leave 8" on the butt it will be just under 13-1/2ft cut down plus an end stopper which i will need to add. Its nearer 50 quid not 60, so not too expensive and i can keep it as a visitor rod if it all goes pear shaped.
Not Knocking you price or quality of your rods here. If your rod is lower in the budget range, Putting the reel right at the bottom will make the rod a lot softer in use. [Ive done years ago]. Most are useing rods around 14ft now anyway with reels at the bottom.
You can buy a zip sliding reel seat that can just be taped on to the rod without altering anything. If your happy you can then change it to a more solid fitting if needed.

·
Registered
10,337 Posts
We are mostly using 14-15' rods with reel down, so just don't cut anything, try the zip type reel seat down the bottom, and do a few casts it the reel in either up or down position. Find what you like, then go from there. Lighter designed rods at that sort of length are not difficult to cast, just take getting used to. Even in the heavier classes ( up to 8oz sinker + 8oz bait), we have folks regularly casting rods over 15' with the reel down, and landing large fish and sharks. It is even rare to see 12' rods here, except in the 3oz range, and even those have the reel down.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just left the tackle shop. Dabcatcher was right. It wasn't a nice rod and that's putting it mildly. Didn't buy it. Will wait until I get nearer to moving to Angola and line up a proper rod for timing when I get there. Bronzhaii I will PM you for info on what you have - not sure if you can ship to Angola and I need to find out about what charges they apply on inports. Thailand is 20% on cost and they include the shipping cost on their 20% charge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts