World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just spent a weekend away on the isle of wight and was surprised to see the amount of cuttlefish washed up on the shore, brought a load home for the mother in laws budgie. i was wondering if its the back bone of the cuttlefish and do they discard them and grow another, or are they off dead ones?

also ive heard of people using them as bait for cod off boats, but has anyone tried them with any sucsess from the shore?
thanx!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
They are a bit big for casting mate, but for Conger and Huss at close range i am sure they would be the business. They are tougher than squid so i an sure they would fend of the annoying attacks of doggies, whitting and crabs.

G

·
It is the backbone of dead cuttlefish that you find washed up on the shore.
The cuttle is a very tough bait and is ideal for tipping off a bait with a small strip. It will stop the pout and whiting getting to the main bait too quickly.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
i am wary of using the ones i find on the beach for the budgie because i dont know what killed it and dont want to pass that on to the bird.

just a thought.

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
They come inshore to breed, after breeding they die, that's why they get washed up on the beach. The Cuttle bone should be boiled before "Chirpy" gets his beak into it, but I've heard that cuttlefish is a most excellent bait for ray. :)

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They come inshore to breed, after breeding they die, that's why they get washed up on the beach. The Cuttle bone should be boiled before "Chirpy" gets his beak into it, but I've heard that cuttlefish is a most excellent bait for ray. :)
i was gonna get some earlier to have a go for the ray, oh well ill have to give it a go next time.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
the small cuttles can be very good, or the they can be cut into strips for tipping.

round my way the dead cuttles usually get washed up once a year, after the gulls have knicked there heads. some can really stink though, while some smell quite fresh. i recon the they could be a good bait for the congers, shame there aren't many round here.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I've used cuttle off Nash,Porthcawl Pier,Hutchwens and Ogmore for rays very successfully cut into large strips.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Cuttlefish is tougher than normal squid that you buy in the supermarket. I like to cut it into strips and use it to tip of my feathers with when boat fishing as you can catch a few fish on one piece of bait when their coming thick and fast.

·
Official Jokes Forum Examiner
61,171 Posts
just spent a weekend away on the isle of wight and was surprised to see the amount of cuttlefish washed up on the shore, brought a load home for the mother in laws budgie. i was wondering if its the back bone of the cuttlefish and do they discard them and grow another, or are they off dead ones?

also ive heard of people using them as bait for cod off boats, but has anyone tried them with any sucsess from the shore?
thanx!
had good congers on cuttle , not sure why the back bone is discarded thou :g:

·
Registered
506 Posts
had good congers on cuttle , not sure why the back bone is discarded thou :g:
i do good on the small ones on the ne coast tackle shops call them chinese squid but half the time its baby cuttlefish

·
Official Jokes Forum Examiner
61,171 Posts
i do good on the small ones on the ne coast tackle shops call them chinese squid but half the time its baby cuttlefish
chinese squid !!!!! , not heard that one before :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts