World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm descending upon the town in just over a week's time for a family holiday. When I'm not getting in the way of the Croyde/Woolie beach fishermen on my surfboard I shall be (hopefully) harassing a few local fish. Yes, I'm a Grockle, no I'm not a (complete) arse though, so if any of you lot are around I shan't be casting aspersions on any catches of mullet as I'm a mullet stalker as well (only caught a few, but doesn't stop me trying).

Tides look like they'll be spring in the last week of August when I'm there - hopefully that might create some fishy action. From the pics I've seen on the pier, it appears that high water leaves room to just about swing a small cat around, so it's best to fish on rising or falling tide? Looking at google earth it appears there are rocks around to the left (Capstone) side of the pier area - are those not usable for fishing from as well?

Looks like I'll be staying in a place near to Capstone rocks, so I intend scrambling around there a bit in the hope of tracking down a few fish too. Is it worth float fishing deep off there for Wrasse?

Any hints/tips/abuse welcomed. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Blimey. Are you lot shy or something? ;-) Is it 'coz I admitted to being a grockle? Should I have just started the traditional, "Ilfracombe advice needed please" thread instead?

More specifically then... is there anywhere worth beach fishing for bass/rays/hounds directly from Ilfracombe, or will I need to drive to Watermouth area or Puts?

On that subject... does anyone tend to fish the right-hand end of Wooly for bass/other species (not surfers, they don't taste good) as I only ever seem to read about Puts being night fished?

Parking for night fishing - Puts car park is safe, is it? Seems a bit sort of obvious why the car is there really and open to abuse from wrong 'uns...? Not a problem? Can't remember reading about any problems, to be honest, but if anyone knows any different...

·
Registered
688 Posts
I only help emmets I'm afraid, not grockles ;)

I suspect the people who know what you need to know just haven't had chance to reply yet.

I've only fished the CV about three times, but you could do worse than float fishing or ledgering rag or mackerel which is what I've always caught on. Small hooks!

Can't help you with anything else

http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192454 will probably not help you much either but is entertaining to read :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply mate. Yeah no worries, I'm sure they'll have something to say eventually! At the end of the day, I'm coming down there whatever and will go fishing... would be useful to be told any obvious "gotchas" like "don't fish off *that* beach there as there are a load of rocks just out of sight that'll eat all your tackle" or "no fish has been caught from there in living memory" or suchlike...

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Thanks for the reply mate. Yeah no worries, I'm sure they'll have something to say eventually! At the end of the day, I'm coming down there whatever and will go fishing... would be useful to be told any obvious "gotchas" like "don't fish off *that* beach there as there are a load of rocks just out of sight that'll eat all your tackle" or "no fish has been caught from there in living memory" or suchlike...
no wonder you havnt got a reply yet matey with that attitude!!!..lol..use the forum search facility,the marks you mention have been covered recently,and are only 20 mins drive from ilfracombe if the grokels havnt blocked the roads up..:laugh:..

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I'm descending upon the town in just over a week's time for a family holiday. When I'm not getting in the way of the Croyde/Woolie beach fishermen on my surfboard I shall be (hopefully) harassing a few local fish. Yes, I'm a Grockle, no I'm not a (complete) arse though, so if any of you lot are around I shan't be casting aspersions on any catches of mullet as I'm a mullet stalker as well (only caught a few, but doesn't stop me trying).

Tides look like they'll be spring in the last week of August when I'm there - hopefully that might create some fishy action. From the pics I've seen on the pier, it appears that high water leaves room to just about swing a small cat around, so it's best to fish on rising or falling tide? Looking at google earth it appears there are rocks around to the left (Capstone) side of the pier area - are those not usable for fishing from as well?

Looks like I'll be staying in a place near to Capstone rocks, so I intend scrambling around there a bit in the hope of tracking down a few fish too. Is it worth float fishing deep off there for Wrasse?

Any hints/tips/abuse welcomed. :)

Sorry for the lack of replies from us locals......you do know the C.V is top secret, hence the lack of replies !!:ph34r:

The rocks (and wall) to the left of the pier are called the North wall / rocks. A good place to fish, but you need a good cast to clear the rough ground. If your giving it a go - bring plenty of tackle !!.
As for the pier.....small hooks and small harbour rag are the favourite.
Fish the hooks above the weight.
You will catch all sorts, with the odd surprise thrown in.
No need to cast 1500 yards, even dropped down the side will see bites.

If you fishing macky, expect to catch Doggy.....the c.v is a small hook venue. Sand eel might be worth a bash ??. Worth buying a prawn net, chuck it over the side after dark for live prawn...

Capstone is a 10 minute walk from the C.V... the big hill with a flag on it, down the sea front... a good mark, but not for kids.
Again, you can lose a lot of tackle....but can chuck up some good fish.

Hope that helps out:bye1:.

The float is worth a go down the pier, but the leads work just as good.
Fish light and expect quality and species...not size !!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no wonder you havnt got a reply yet matey with that attitude!!!..lol..use the forum search facility,the marks you mention have been covered recently,and are only 20 mins drive from ilfracombe if the grokels havnt blocked the roads up..:laugh:..
Sorry chap. I promise you I'm not giving attitude, it's just the way I type! I'm not coming on here with any grief to dole out! Life's too short. Do you mean the "I'm coming down anyway" bit? If so, all I meant was that regardless of whether or not I get replies, I'm coming down and fishing so it doesn't, in the grand scheme of things, matter much anyway!

I'm not one of these "I promise I'll post reports" types and then don't follow up... check out my report after the Scilly Isles visit last year here: http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1298553#post1298553 - in fact he may not remember me, but I had a bit of a forum chat (and pm) with Martyn (Skeletor on here) who I see still posts from time to time. I think (hope!) he'll vouch for me that I'm not a complete muppet!

Anyhow, I have, I promise you, used the search facility to huge effect, having read loads and loads and loads about the potential venues, but I haven't yet hit on the right combination yet that tells me:
1. about safety/cost of parking overnight at Puts
2. about whether any of the beaches (such as they are) around Ilfracombe are worth fishing from or whether it's best to head to Watermouth/Wooly/Puts
3. Whether it's possible/sane to fish off the rocks to the left (looking out to sea) of the pier as this would seem to negate the "disappearing pier" trick on a flood tide
4. Whether it's worth deep float fishing off Capstone for Wrasse (can find numerous mentions of Mackerel/Pollock but not seen anything about Wrasse yet, I don't think...?

Anyhow, was just trying to get a bit of conversation going, would be nice to have a beer with one of you local chaps down by the pier of an evening to get some tips if it suits? (week of 22nd - 29th)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
aha - Mr. Pix - was hoping to hear from you on here. You replied as I was typing my epic above! Thanks for the info. I'm a life long coarse (and game and sea whenever possible) fisherman so I'm not averse to trying all sorts of tactics. I'm hoping to have a bash at the mullet too as my coarse tactics have proven to be quite fruitful over the (more recent!) years doing this. If you check out my Scilly report (linked above) you'll see I happily caught & used prawns for bait there to good effect so I hope to do the same again.

Any mackerel showing at present ? The missus loves fresh mackie and I get brownie points when I supply them...

Is bait digging allowed/worth doing around Ilfracombe? Was thinking that a dig in the harbour would produce and also with the spring tides coming up, some lug, surely, at low water mark off the beaches?

I've just got a spanking new multiplier to try this year as my last one suffered from idiot failure when I took it apart to try and mend it and it fell into three hundred and forty separate pieces... I may be able to must a good fifty yards now ;-)

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Sorry chap. I promise you I'm not giving attitude, it's just the way I type! I'm not coming on here with any grief to dole out! Life's too short. Do you mean the "I'm coming down anyway" bit? If so, all I meant was that regardless of whether or not I get replies, I'm coming down and fishing so it doesn't, in the grand scheme of things, matter much anyway!

I'm not one of these "I promise I'll post reports" types and then don't follow up... check out my report after the Scilly Isles visit last year here: http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1298553#post1298553 - in fact he may not remember me, but I had a bit of a forum chat (and pm) with Martyn (Skeletor on here) who I see still posts from time to time. I think (hope!) he'll vouch for me that I'm not a complete muppet!

Anyhow, I have, I promise you, used the search facility to huge effect, having read loads and loads and loads about the potential venues, but I haven't yet hit on the right combination yet that tells me:
1. about safety/cost of parking overnight at Puts
2. about whether any of the beaches (such as they are) around Ilfracombe are worth fishing from or whether it's best to head to Watermouth/Wooly/Puts
3. Whether it's possible/sane to fish off the rocks to the left (looking out to sea) of the pier as this would seem to negate the "disappearing pier" trick on a flood tide
4. Whether it's worth deep float fishing off Capstone for Wrasse (can find numerous mentions of Mackerel/Pollock but not seen anything about Wrasse yet, I don't think...?

Anyhow, was just trying to get a bit of conversation going, would be nice to have a beer with one of you local chaps down by the pier of an evening to get some tips if it suits? (week of 22nd - 29th)
HA HA HA :roll1::roll1::roll1:
I'm guessing you dont know Wilky !! mate, he's pulling ya plonker :drunk:

Wilky is a C.V regular - when he's allowed out.... he cant get enough of the place:bangin:

G

·
Where/what is the CV ?
The Crap Venue, good sir, Ilfracombe pier. :punk: A favourite haunt of Pants and all danglers with a sense of humour and a passion for a nice little species hunt. Oh, and Gingabred Men.

My lucky tactics there (and I believe I may have only blanked once, cos I was there for an hour, but returned later that evening to be triumphant), are 2 hook flappers, size 2 hooks, 5oz lead, rag tipped with a bit of macky. North Devon Angling had no harbour or king rag in today, but should do around lunchtime tomorrow (for anyone that wants some), due to the tides being Evil. :hammer: I also know they sell their fresh peeler crab for the same price as their frozen. Cos they told me. :)

I should be around this way on the dates you're here, carled, so if you see a lass with a lethal cast (not lethal for the fish, I might add), a box of Gingas and a very loud squeak if someone reels in a fishy, that'll be me. Avoid at all costs or say hello and get a Ginga.

:bye1:

Love Pants.

PS I can't help you with the other stuff, cos I dunno. Sorry. :sad:

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
aha - Mr. Pix - was hoping to hear from you on here. You replied as I was typing my epic above! Thanks for the info. I'm a life long coarse (and game and sea whenever possible) fisherman so I'm not averse to trying all sorts of tactics. I'm hoping to have a bash at the mullet too as my coarse tactics have proven to be quite fruitful over the (more recent!) years doing this. If you check out my Scilly report (linked above) you'll see I happily caught & used prawns for bait there to good effect so I hope to do the same again.

Any mackerel showing at present ? The missus loves fresh mackie and I get brownie points when I supply them...

Is bait digging allowed/worth doing around Ilfracombe? Was thinking that a dig in the harbour would produce and also with the spring tides coming up, some lug, surely, at low water mark off the beaches?

I've just got a spanking new multiplier to try this year as my last one suffered from idiot failure when I took it apart to try and mend it and it fell into three hundred and forty separate pieces... I may be able to must a good fifty yards now ;-)

No bait digging allowed in the harbour - you will prob get moved on !!.
You might be o.k if you fill the holes in after you dig...but you wouldnt find a great deal anyway.

Best place to dig maddies is the Barnstaple to Braunton estuary...

Combe has been pretty cr*p for macky this year, but they are about.
The rough weather and high tides send them back towards the Atlantic...but a sunny spell or two should get them back.

Cant give ya much advice on shore fishing - even less from the beach !!
I'm in to my boat fishing, so only ever pop down the pier for a beer / laugh and a dabble.

The best thing to do is turn up and speak with the locals on the pier.
Let me know a time when your down and I will pop down for a beer and dabble at the famous C.V :punk:

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Hi m8, sorry just seen this post.

Only fished it a few times myself, but it looks like you've got the info required to give it a bash.

Give me a ring when you are down and I'll try and pop up with the kids and give it a go ;)

·
Registered
728 Posts

The Crap Venue, good sir, Ilfracombe pier. :punk: A favourite haunt of Pants and all danglers with a sense of humour and a passion for a nice little species hunt. Oh, and Gingabred Men.

My lucky tactics there (and I believe I may have only blanked once, cos I was there for an hour, but returned later that evening to be triumphant), are 2 hook flappers, size 2 hooks, 5oz lead, rag tipped with a bit of macky. North Devon Angling had no harbour or king rag in today, but should do around lunchtime tomorrow (for anyone that wants some), due to the tides being Evil. :hammer: I also know they sell their fresh peeler crab for the same price as their frozen. Cos they told me. :)

I should be around this way on the dates you're here, carled, so if you see a lass with a lethal cast (not lethal for the fish, I might add), a box of Gingas and a very loud squeak if someone reels in a fishy, that'll be me. Avoid at all costs or say hello and get a Ginga.

:bye1:

Love Pants.

PS I can't help you with the other stuff, cos I dunno. Sorry. :sad:

Thanks Phrunts !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts