World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever fished here before? we blanked on friday but it looks really fishy, so advice from you guys would be appreciated.:giveup:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're quite right, cymyran bay,

burley shassy, the well known spelling mistake!!!!

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
For once I was not being my former, fault finding self, but genuinely thought it was somewhere new! Since joining up with WSF folk i've learnt so much more about the island of my birth. In the distant past there was never any reason to go anywhere else but the Swellies. But the 'Cazy gang' have acted a little like those folk who you were warned about who would lead you astray to starnge pastures (mostly of the vertical rock sort!!)

Cymyran is significant as it is close to a famous small lake (Llyn Cerrig Bach) from which was excavated an amazing array of Iron Age metalwork (during the last War when extending RAF Valley)
Roman History is one of my interests (novel soon to be published (???) but I have recently discovered a very early sea fishing reference.

Anglesey was first stormed and the Druids put to the sword in 60AD by the 20th (good casters - spears, led by Suetonius Paulinus (hated Doggies) but he and the lads were taken away almost immediately to sort out Buddica then about to 'eat' Londinium (good thing too) However the next Governor - Agricola, who took exception to the massacre of an auxiliary unit in Snowdonia, decided after 'reducing' the local tribes, that he'd better have a look at Mona (Anglesey)

"His plans had been hastily formed and so, as was natural, he had no ships on the spot; yet the resourcefulness and determination of the general bridged the straits. For after unloading all the baggage he picked a body of native auxiliaries who knew the fords, and had that facility in swimming which belongs to their nation, and by means of which they can control simultaneously their own movements, their weapons, and their horses: he then launched them upon the enemy so suddenly that the astonished islanders, who looked for fleets of ships upon the sea, promptly came to the conclusion that nothing was hard and nothing invincible to men who fought in this fashion. 5 "Accordingly they petitioned for peace and surrendered the island. ..." (Tacitus Agricola 18.3-5.)

No they weren't from Holyhead, but Batvians (from an island on the Rhine) who had this rapport with their horses and could fight virtually in the water. The above reference to 'fords' I think refers to the narrow channels available at Low Water Springs.

Actually it's all a load of historical squit as they (the historians) are unaware that it all happened when the Batvians, well some of them, were out to catch some Bass but were keeping it quiet to prevent the local coracle netters from finding out where the best shoals were to be found. They'd heard about the legendary Ragworm beds in the Swellies on the Anglesey side and had swum across with their horses to do some digging (called rag-pumping) for this bait. They'd caught some good ones (Bass) with the bait (returning all the small ones for next year) and were sharing the grub from off the barbee (a Batvian invention) when Agricola chanced along, a bit fed-up with the suckling pig and stuffed Dormouse (no I don't know who stuffed them!) he'd been eating, and discovered the new delicacy! That was it he had to have some. So he chatted for a while before suggesting they go across the following day. Tacitus (a Roman war reporter who was along for a scoop) sensed a story and made up the stuff about 'warring' natives. Thus the stuff about surrendering was rubbish.

By then you see the whole population of Mona were dedicated to the Tourist trade and discovered from then on that they could sell visitors rag and lug and, wait for it, bloody soft and peeling crabs!! Who would have thought it. These were available at a shack (still in its original state) on a promintory just short of the Roman wooden fort at what is now called Beaumaris. The original vendor was Malcomidoes.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice one Swellyman, I love a good chuckle.
I hope malcolmoides beardicus reads this!!!, I tell the seasons by the length of the shadows under his eyes, half way down his nose and the bass start feeding on the eelies in the sweelies.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Blaming us the crazy gang for leading you astray come on Glynne we always follow your example. Nice to see you back bach. Still picking up spelling errors as well i dont believe there was ever fish in the swellies lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts