World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've copied this over to the general discussion forumd just to see if we can generate a bit of interest amongst the Dads with youngsters who like to fish the beaches together.

I hope the Mods will not mind just this once as it's all in such a good cause:

This event is to be fished at Great Yarmouth on Sunday 04th November and a Dad & Lad (or Lass) fish side by side on two pegs for a total entry fee of £13. Many prizes available in addition to usual pools and all for the purpose of raising funds for MacMillan Nurases.

Just to keep you all informed, we have 31 adult anglers registered so far with a month to go, but sadly only one junior so far this year. We usually get a surge of interest in the last 10 days before every event and I'm hoping that we will get a lot of 'Dads & Lads' (or daughters) sharing double pegs, which are freely available to everyone this year.

The tackle shops and many individuals have been generous as usual with vouchers from Gorleston Tackle and reels and other tackle prizes already donated by others and I'm pleased to say that support is good despite the current financial climate.

I know that so many are touched by cancer as shown by past support for Marks' memory and the loss of a young life to the awful heart condition that took Harrison too, we are very grateful for all the support that is so generously shown. Thank you.

If you want to book pegs, or donate, please either call me, email me or put a message on here

Thanks for understanding, we are really keen to get more youngsters into the sport and hope that marking the passing of young Harrison with a specially dedicated trophy for anglers of around his own age, maybe we can encourage a few to join in.

Best regards

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I can bring the other 2 kids to increase the juniors but they would drive me bonkers John!

Come on guys, an easy going social match for a good cause

Matt

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can bring the other 2 kids to increase the juniors but they would drive me bonkers John!

Come on guys, an easy going social match for a good cause

Matt

Yes Matt, great though our kids are :happy:, one-on-one with fishing tackle in hand is about as much as you can manage and stay sane enough to fish yourself I know! :headhurt:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Matty and Old'C

My boys are to young to bring along:2:, but ill put my name down happly:drunk:. You should change the fishing titile to Grandad's, Dads 'n' Lads fish together!

That way im sure you would get loads to come for the day, i would have a choise of two to bring:wheelchai:wheelchai lol

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes mate, I ought to have thought of that, but all are welcome on this one anyway. Grandad & Dad can have a double peg for £20 or either one with the youngster can share a double peg for £13. You have given me an idea for an event format that I'll give some more thought to and work up for early next year though.

I'd just love to see more youngsters fishing again, fifty years ago there seemed to be groups of us youngsters having a go with rod & reel whenever and wherever you went. We made many new friends through the shared love of fishing.

Some of these fishing friendships have lasted a lifetime. I know we didn't have the distractions of computer games, 'ipods' and whatever the latest electronic gadgetry is called, but what we did have was a lot of fun sharing quality time with Dad or Grandad (and their mates) out in the natural world.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Right its settled then. Just got to decide whitch old git to bring:wheelchai. Stepdad, which i fish with on occasion who origionaly got me into fishing as a lad all those years ago:fishing1: or dad who has never sea fished who could really like, and turn into a fishaman??

Ill speak to the rest of the boys and see if they can tap their farthers up to fish the event.

Defiantly support the cause, my wife’s mum died of cancer a year ago the other week in a hospice in Norwich, and all of the support she received was second to none.

Have you posted on another site 'LL' the boys on there are usually quite good for support.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you posted on another site 'LL' the boys on there are usually quite good for support.
Yes mate, it's on all the other sites and tackle shop posters are out as well.

Holmesy has promised to put a mention in EDP for me as he always does and Roy gives us a mention in the Yarmouth Mercury too

We are very grateful for all the help that we get from so many people

If anyone wants to book pegs and I am sorry, but with a very popular and successful site such as this, I don't necessarily know who all of you are just from your username,
I'd be very grateful if you will send me a PM or email to confirm surnames so that we can reserve your pegs on the booking record for you.

Thanks for your understanding

·
Registered
285 Posts
My 13 year old daughter regularly comes fishing with me, she even had a go mackie bashing at Weybourne in the summer and got more than me! Not sure she'd have the patience to sit and watch a rod twitching on a tripod, but she certainly enjoyed fluffing. Due to hit Dungeness in a couple of weeks, might get her to hit the dreaded Whiting. How about a Mackie Bash comp next summer, with beach BBQ too?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My 13 year old daughter regularly comes fishing with me, she even had a go mackie bashing at Weybourne in the summer and got more than me! Not sure she'd have the patience to sit and watch a rod twitching on a tripod, but she certainly enjoyed fluffing. Due to hit Dungeness in a couple of weeks, might get her to hit the dreaded Whiting. How about a Mackie Bash comp next summer, with beach BBQ too?
Sounds like a plan to me Russ. We'll have to look at suitable tides and dates and I'll see what we can do, but I'm really keen to drum up a few more youngster to contest the Harrison Smith Trophy this year too

The East Coast 'Legend' that is Dave Dowcra has kindly agreed to come along and present the prizes for us on the day and I know that he is still keen to see more youngsters picking up a rod and havinga go too.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Just another little update, we're up to 40 names booked now so it's getting a bit of interest as usual, though I'd love to see more youngsters getting involved
im a youngster (42) does this count as my dad does a bit of fishing still (hes 80):thumbs:,, youve still not accepted my fb request :sad2:lol,,ps dont think my ol man will travel that far nowadays :nonono: would love to have a go at this ,,mind you lil mans 8 now so maybe in a few years :bleh:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry Charlie, no problem, not ignored, but I can't find any request message,....... not sure why.

The more youngsters we get fishing the better I say, my dad first took me with him when I was about 5, but I don't suppose I was greatly interested in what was going on at that age. Mind you, I can recall being fascinated by a 'big' fish that he and my great uncle had on the beach when I was a still very young child and perhaps that was the moment I was hooked for life.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm pleased to say that adult entries for this event keep steadily increasing, but number of juniors are still disappointing.

There is a trophy, cash and tackle prizes awaiting the winning 16 and under anglers, so we're hoping that a few more will take the plunge and have a go

·
Registered
101 Posts
Can i just let you know that even though its a no this time from me if ever you head further down south to fund raise i.e. Essex (walton or Clacton) you can P.M. me with details. I would love to take my 9 year old lad to this event but without sounding like a tight arse , once i have paid for train fares and thought of the whole logistics of it all it would be a long day. But please if you do come this way tell me, i cant think of a more worthwhile cause than macmillan as these nurses do an amazing job. Good luck with the task ahead fella!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can i just let you know that even though its a no this time from me if ever you head further down south to fund raise i.e. Essex (walton or Clacton) you can P.M. me with details. I would love to take my 9 year old lad to this event but without sounding like a tight arse , once i have paid for train fares and thought of the whole logistics of it all it would be a long day. But please if you do come this way tell me, i cant think of a more worthwhile cause than macmillan as these nurses do an amazing job. Good luck with the task ahead fella!

Many thanks for the kind words, we've been doing this every year since our sorely missed fishing mate Mark met a very untimely death at just 43 years of age and having lost my own father many years ago aged 46 in the same way, I have nothing but admiration for the fantastic care the MacMillan Nursing organisation provides. The young lad who we remember in the Harrison Smith Memorial Trophy was the son of a regular WSF contributor too.

I fully understand how difficult, and expensive travelling to the event by train would be. I have to say that in my opinion it would be virtually impossible. Maybe it's perhaps just possible that there is someone who is coming up from the Essex area who might be able to help. We do get a few from the Colchester area most years, but in any case, I wish you all the best and good luck to you both with your fishing exploits with your son. Such precious times need to be enjoyed as often as possible.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi guys. I just wanted to say firstly im going to craze my dad to go there but i live a fair way off :g: but still craze him and how do you register
Hi ott spotter,

You can put your name on here if you know that you are definitely coming, or call me on 07773 389121, or email me at [email protected]

Good luck with your Dad and best of luck with the fishing.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A reminder that the annual Mark Alsop Memorial Cup Charity match is this weekend at Great Yarmouth on Sunday 04th November folks

We have well over 50 anglers booked in now so it's going to be a great day out as usual, with our hosts Mally & Mary at the Lacon Arms providing such good fare before and after the match, major trophies for both adult and junior winners and a great array of prizes. Double pegs are still available, but must be pre-booked

We have our usual super raffle with lots of donated prizes and all in given with the intention of raising as much money as possible for the MacMillan Nurses Palliative Care team at James Paget Hospital who do so much to ensure the best possible quality of life for cancer sufferers and their families

The east coast legend, Dave Dowcra will be on hand to present the prizes along with family members of the two friends in whose name we run this annual event.

Match pools are paid out 100% with 10 peg sections and biggest flatfish and biggest round fish prizes. There are also cash match prizes added for winning younsters and adult winner.

All moneys raised from the charity donation on tickets and the raffle going to the good cause.

You can book in on here (real names please) or ring me on 07773 389121 or send me an email. We would dearly love to see more youngsters, 16 and under coming along to fish this event and compete for the Harrison Smith Memorial Trophy.

Please help us to help others.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts