World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had two old 7ht mags for ages and had no problems with them,bought a virtually new one from someone and its crack off central.I had to wind the spool adjuster in while on the beach just so I could fish.Is there anyway I can check if mag brake is working.Any suggestions welcome.cheers

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
with line reeled in try to spin spool then adjust knob if no change not working also have sides off and check innards mind should do that before using anyway
but also which breed is it ie colour?

·
Registered
900 Posts
If it's been 'slightly used' it may have been mucked about with internally. Not necessarily in a bad way but I've seen them 'upgraded' with ABEC9s or similar and it hasn't improved the reel at all ,it's actually thrown it way out of kilter and left it uncontrollable, the cast sets off OK but blows up as soon as the mags begin to pull away from the spool as it slows even fractionally.
Might be worth throwing something extra thick at the bearings after a cleanout, I speak from experience as a 7ht mag I bought 'used once for casting' was in exactly this state, fortunately the owner had left the originals in the box and a swift swap back returned it to normal.
The 7ht mags a beautifully balanced and tuned fishing reel but I think in its out of the box form is near as good as it gets , the set up of the mags whilst perfect for fishing doesn't necessarily lend to extra tuning - a mono magged 7ht Turbo is a super reel for the field.... It's just a thought but somebody may have popped a set of super fast bearings in there, try slowing them slightly and see if that's what is causing the prob ........ Just my tuppence worth :)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's been 'slightly used' it may have been mucked about with internally. Not necessarily in a bad way but I've seen them 'upgraded' with ABEC9s or similar and it hasn't improved the reel at all ,it's actually thrown it way out of kilter and left it uncontrollable, the cast sets off OK but blows up as soon as the mags begin to pull away from the spool as it slows even fractionally.
Might be worth throwing something extra thick at the bearings after a cleanout, I speak from experience as a 7ht mag I bought 'used once for casting' was in exactly this state, fortunately the owner had left the originals in the box and a swift swap back returned it to normal.
The 7ht mags a beautifully balanced and tuned fishing reel but I think in its out of the box form is near as good as it gets , the set up of the mags whilst perfect for fishing doesn't necessarily lend to extra tuning - a mono magged 7ht Turbo is a super reel for the field.... It's just a thought but somebody may have popped a set of super fast bearings in there, try slowing them slightly and see if that's what is causing the prob ........ Just my tuppence worth :)
Thanks for the replies mines doing exactly what you say doctor fish cast sets off great then probably 30/40 Yds out crack! It is the blue and gold one tournamag.ill have a look at the bearings see if they look same as my others if they are I'll put a drop of thick oil in and take plenty of rigs and leads with me next time out!

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Usually people are complaining that the 7HT mags are over-braked.

The speed of the bearings doesn't usually make that much difference as the standard ones are very quick anyway ... 30 to 40 yards out the lead should be flying so the brakes should be well on at that point. If a 7HT Mag is over-fast it usually doesn't get that far as the delay in the centrifugal system engaging the mags is generally enough to see an instant birdie. It is a negative point about the system ... unlike others where the mag and spool are effectively in the "on" position before you even cast so the magnets are working as soon as the spool turns, the 7HT spool collar is in the "off" position and has to travel towards the magnets once the spool starts turning so there is an extra delay in the brakes having effect.

The problem is you can't really test the 7HT mag on the bench as it's impossible to spin it up fast enough for the ali collar to push out into the field of the magnets in the side plate - you can jam the collar out on the spool with a small piece of card to test the magnet adjuster is increasing/decreasing the strength of the brakes but that won't tell you if the collar mechanism on the spool is working properly. If you have others that you have no problems with it might well be that the newer one has been meddled with ... some people have the collar modified or pre-load the spring on the spool so that it takes a higher rpm to engage the brakes. Don't take this personally but it could also be of that the others are running like snails and a new, well running reel is catching out an imperfect casting style ... that's likely to get worse as you lose confidence with the reel.

As a starting point you can confirm if the issue is with the spring setup on the spool very easily by using one of the spools from the reels you can handle in the new reel ... if the problem goes away then you know that the issue is most likely with the centrifugal collar system on the spool and look at that in more detail.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Had a similar problem with one of mine winter before last I think - there should be a thread on here somewhere about it and Blakdog was very helpful - it started fluffing up for no apparent reason and changing the brake setting made no difference. After a clean down it ran ok for a session or two, then the problem came back. I finally pinned it down to a slightly dodgy bearing on the gearbox-side of the spool (the slight roughness took some pinning down, I'd cleaned them and seemed to be okay but on closer inspection I nailed it). Problem solved simply by replacing the spool bearings and reel was back to it's usual self - if you've got a spare or new set you could try in the reel it's something that you could rule one way or the other very quickly.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Usually people are complaining that the 7HT mags are over-braked.

The speed of the bearings doesn't usually make that much difference as the standard ones are very quick anyway ... 30 to 40 yards out the lead should be flying so the brakes should be well on at that point. If a 7HT Mag is over-fast it usually doesn't get that far as the delay in the centrifugal system engaging the mags is generally enough to see an instant birdie. It is a negative point about the system ... unlike others where the mag and spool are effectively in the "on" position before you even cast so the magnets are working as soon as the spool turns, the 7HT spool collar is in the "off" position and has to travel towards the magnets once the spool starts turning so there is an extra delay in the brakes having effect.

The problem is you can't really test the 7HT mag on the bench as it's impossible to spin it up fast enough for the ali collar to push out into the field of the magnets in the side plate - you can jam the collar out on the spool with a small piece of card to test the magnet adjuster is increasing/decreasing the strength of the brakes but that won't tell you if the collar mechanism on the spool is working properly. If you have others that you have no problems with it might well be that the newer one has been meddled with ... some people have the collar modified or pre-load the spring on the spool so that it takes a higher rpm to engage the brakes. Don't take this personally but it could also be of that the others are running like snails and a new, well running reel is catching out an imperfect casting style ... that's likely to get worse as you lose confidence with the reel.

As a starting point you can confirm if the issue is with the spring setup on the spool very easily by using one of the spools from the reels you can handle in the new reel ... if the problem goes away then you know that the issue is most likely with the centrifugal collar system on the spool and look at that in more detail.
Thanks for taking the time to send all that info,I think I'll try swapping the spool as you suggest at least it will narrow the problem down a bit

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Had a similar problem with one of mine winter before last I think - there should be a thread on here somewhere about it and Blakdog was very helpful - it started fluffing up for no apparent reason and changing the brake setting made no difference. After a clean down it ran ok for a session or two, then the problem came back. I finally pinned it down to a slightly dodgy bearing on the gearbox-side of the spool (the slight roughness took some pinning down, I'd cleaned them and seemed to be okay but on closer inspection I nailed it). Problem solved simply by replacing the spool bearings and reel was back to it's usual self - if you've got a spare or new set you could try in the reel it's something that you could rule one way or the other very quickly.
Totally go with g-force on the bearings .... they are a reel that needs good condition bearings ... the spool is not the best design for balance so any difference between the two or general bad condition will make them rough and erratic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.