World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Ive recently bought a second hand 7ht mag that looked to be in good condition but when delivered it was obvious that the seller was a little less than honest. Overall its not a bad reel but the boss on the sideplate has quite a bit of play, i could be wrong but it looks a little beyond the point of repair by repressing so i am looking for a new sideplate, any advice as where to get one would be greatly appreciated or if anyone has a decent one for sale please let me know.
many thanks.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Try Jimsreelshop.co.uk ive had parts from him before for my 7ht mag . If he has them in stock try repairing yours before ordering. If it goes tits up at least you know you can get a replacement.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try Jimsreelshop.co.uk ive had parts from him before for my 7ht mag . If he has them in stock try repairing yours before ordering. If it goes tits up at least you know you can get a replacement.
Hi, thanks for the reply, ive tried looking on that website but cant seem to find any right side plates, same with a load of other websites ive tried. its a bit corroded underneath the boss, i think if i try to repress it in it might do damage to the sideplate instead of repairing the prob. If i can ill just order a new plate or if not ill jus sell it for parts.
thanks.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I'd contact Daiwa direct ....they used to replace them for me. Speak to them first and you may only need to send the sideplate
Musky

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd contact Daiwa direct ....they used to replace them for me. Speak to them first and you may only need to send the sideplate
Musky
Thanks for the advice, ill get in touch with them tomorrow, the reason i havn't so far is because i was told by a friend that their expensive for parts, is this true?
thanks,
TLA.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
They were good for me for a time as this is really a design fault. I am not 'rough' with my reels but I had a couple where the boss worked loose and these were replaced FOC
Good luck,
Musky

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its a shame this happens to them otherwise they would be fantastic reels, especially for the price they are. i bought a penn fathom brand new which is half the price of the daiwa new and never had a days trouble with it, dont think ive heard anyone say a bad word about them.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Hi LA,
I totally agree - I cannot fault the 7HT mags or ST's as casting reels, totally ... but a tuned and magged Fathom 12 (just my preference to mag them - and I know many are happy with the blocks and they do work) is not far behind and they will not fail - my 4 have been faultless.

The 7HT bosses that failed for me were up channel on a 9lb Conger during pump and wind and on a 13lb hound at lilstock ....not full pump and wind, as it was nearly HW at the pipe (distance needed was the reason I was using a 7ht mag) so direct pressure to keep the fish out of the boulders ... lesson learnt!!

However I'm sure that there are others out there who's reels have lasted longer....

I still have 2x 7HT's for Chesil, but like their cosmetics, they don't last very long and when they're gone .... they're gone!

PS both had pinion supports fitted........ Daiwa were not impressed with the 'Alien parts' included.

Musky

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got to have a mag on a fathom ;) i have been using the fathom casting special for a few months now and can honestly say its a fantastic piece of kit, when i had my old 7ht mag the only place it had an advantage was on the field! But fishing wise theres nowhere the mag could put a bait where the fathom couldnt. The fathom is my go to reel now for everything, it gets good distance for flat clean beaches and is powerful and well built for rough ground, big fish and even comes out on the boat everytime. Ive used it for everything from schoolies and dabs to common skate, and to think the 7ht mag gave out on a 5lb thorny it says alot really.

-TLA

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
A replacement plate was about £35 last time I got one - the problem is if they go badly and are not fixed they take out the whole drive and that is silly money. Some of their bits are scary money others seem very reasonable ... a cage is very reasonable for instance but a spool is about £40 and if you lose the little pin on the gearbox side of the spool they want you to buy a whole spool.

You'll get the plate at a much better price straight from their spares dept on 08450 603603.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Blakdog,
Thanks for your reply,
This 7ht mag boss has about just under a mm of play. it looks to have been in this state for some time as there is alot of corrosion where its rubbed the paint away. Knowing it could have damaged the drive if it has been used like this for a while has got me thinking is it best i just quit while im ahead and retire it to the back of the box for spares or should i keep going and get the sideplate?
Many thanks,
-TLA

1 - 11 of 11 Posts