World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#810541'>Two weeks ago I bought Daiwa EMCAST ( 7 Ball bearings ) - £60, and Daiwa EMCAST Plus ( 10 Ball bearings ) - £75.
PHENOMENAL&#33;&#33;&#33;
I love them&#33;
I will never switch to multipliers&#33; I can cast 150 -180 yards ( ground cast ) with a reel and rod for £110.
The retrieval of 6oz led feels like lure fishing - effortless.
If you ask is it worth spending extra £15  for 10 ball bearings reel:
- Yes&#33; It makes you feel better
Otherwise both reels feel the same - very, very, very, very smooth.
You may be better off spending the £15 on the best line you can find.
The only  small hiccup is that the more expensive "Daiwa EMCAST Plus" had it&#39;s golden spool rim completely oxidized after the fist session. So go for the cheaper one. You can pay more money for other models, but you won&#39;t be getting more reel&#33;
VLAD
</font>

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Just found website, now a &#39;fav&#39;. Yes, thinking of adding a &#39;good&#39; big fixed spool to my Abu as a rough ground reel. I fish with 35lb braid, and 20lb snood in the Menai Straits and want to use same but with fixed spool as I find first pulls (i.e. before I have to put the rod down and pull for a break - I wrap the line around a wooden dowel to do this by the way&#33;) compresses line on multiplier spool making next cast iffy. How does the Emcast cope in these situations? Does anyone else use a good F/S? I occasionally use a very cheap one which vibrates something cronic and has a slow retreive but is tougher on the potential break. What other reels do people use?

U

·
0 Posts
the two reels that you mention are part of the new range of big chuck reels from diawa which have replaced the S/X/Z emblems,your reels hav&#39;nt really been out that long so no-one knows the longevity of these models,however early results (like yours) seem positive,we have been using them for a while now (carp fishing)and again so far so good,with not many returns,for all my big chuck carp fishing i use the diawa tournaments,these have been around for years and have only one fault,which on some is a horrid noise on the retrieve,this can be overcome by adding a small bit of grease in the right place&#39;s,i had the X&#39;S AND THE Z&#39;S both being the blue metal latest versions,which were the nuts but proved to be heavy in the long run,so i switched to tournaments and hav&#39;nt regretted it one bit,it&#39;ll be interesting to see how you get on with these reels over the next year, so keep us informed,funny though, as ive just got into uptiding and enjoy using multi;pliers,ive tried using my carp reels for this but the winding power(when pulling up a fish plus the heavy lead) isnt really there

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Thanks for extra information. Still only about Daiwa products. What about other big pit reels that will pull through snaggy swims? Are there any other review websites for Tackle? Must spend pension carefully&#33;&#33;

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi swelleyman!
I am using Fireline with my Emcasts. It seems to be OK, never had problems with it. It casts and retreives very smoothly.
Tight lines!

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Agreed! I use 35lb on the Abu and my Rubber Shark and 8 or 10 on my Daiwa BRT and a tiny (if not tinny!) little match reel on a 17 float rod. I've also got hold of a feeder rod which will cast a lot more weight than I thought possible and i'm going to use the smooth stuff on that. I find the combination of a soft rod and braid to be great particularly when I manage to get the business end a long way from the reel. It must be said that the heavy braid must cut down distance because of friction but perhaps this in itself controls my poor ability with the multiplier! However I feel that a rugged Fixed Spool might be kinder than continuously putting strain on the Abu. Still the coated braids are the way to go even if they are pricey £22 per 300yds (0.35mm)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts