World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to be getting a daiwa kenzaki 6-12lb, what would be a good reel to pair it with? I already have a slosh 20, would this ok?

Cheers

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry just to add a further question would the 12-20 be more suitable for Bass and Pollock with a slosh 20?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Rod choice depends on the leads being used, for up to 8oz the 6-12lb will cope but it is better with up to 6oz, there is enough backbone lower down but the reel must have a decent drag. I've even lifted double figure blondes on one when anchored trying for whiting. If you are working the inshore reefs then the 6lb will work well, a light sporting outfit.

Once you are into 8 and 10oz then the 12-20lb is my choice. The slosh will do the job on this but I'd think about something lighter for the 6lb, perhaps with a narrower spool as 300yds braid doesn't need much space. I use a Saltist 20ha on both the 6lb and 12lb Kenzakis. Other suggestions - the smaller fathoms, squalls in the 15 sizes, the low profile (LP) versions will be lighter. Finding something in stock at the moment might be more of a problem though.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rod choice depends on the leads being used, for up to 8oz the 6-12lb will cope but it is better with up to 6oz, there is enough backbone lower down but the reel must have a decent drag. I've even lifted double figure blondes on one when anchored trying for whiting. If you are working the inshore reefs then the 6lb will work well, a light sporting outfit.

Once you are into 8 and 10oz then the 12-20lb is my choice. The slosh will do the job on this but I'd think about something lighter for the 6lb, perhaps with a narrower spool as 300yds braid doesn't need much space. I use a Saltist 20ha on both the 6lb and 12lb Kenzakis. Other suggestions - the smaller fathoms, squalls in the 15 sizes, the low profile (LP) versions will be lighter. Finding something in stock at the moment might be more of a problem though.
Thanks Steve, it will mainly be for the inshore reefs, Pollock and bass and any small species, so will stick with the 6-12, i do like the lighter side of fishing.

Will have a look at the saltist (y)

·
Registered
279 Posts
I used these for years as my main beachcaster reel. I do like their small size.
I use a kenzaki 6-12 for bass fishing using lures and live sand eel (mk1 kenzaki) I find the rod is more a 6# class than 6-12 maybe the mk2 is more like 6-12#; also use a 12-20#, these rods were overrated line class wise and don’t take too much lead I,d say 5 oz for 6# and 8oz for 12-20#,I find small levelwind reels best like Abu 6500c etc give better balance with 15-20# braid using short Fluor c leader , hope this helps.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use a kenzaki 6-12 for bass fishing using lures and live sand eel (mk1 kenzaki) I find the rod is more a 6# class than 6-12 maybe the mk2 is more like 6-12#; also use a 12-20#, these rods were overrated line class wise and don’t take too much lead I,d say 5 oz for 6# and 8oz for 12-20#,I find small levelwind reels best like Abu 6500c etc give better balance with 15-20# braid using short Fluor c leader , hope this helps.
Thanks for that garwed, I'm into my lure fishing also, so this sounds just what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
The 12-20 can handle 12ozs lead no problem. Such a versatile rod. Mine is paired with a Torium 14, though a saltist 20 would be even nicer. 20lb braid. This outfit would cover anything from bank fishing live Sandeel, mackerel strip etc to wrecking in shallowish water (200ft).

Reactions: Jack Sparrow

·
Registered
11,930 Posts
The saltist has a nice big cranking handle that lends itself pretty well to lure work and also has colouring to match the rod (they look good together).

It might sound a bit funny but are you left or right handed and do you enjoy working lures in a drop retrieve style ? If you do and say you are right handed, then moving over to a bait caster style reel in left hand version could transform the way you fish. With jigging action, slow pitch, micro jigging etc getting the best action out of the lure is key to catching fish. Using the rod in your right hand if right handed allows a far more controlled action from that dominant arm. For any finesse control of a rod to create action I use my right arm but for bigger game I go back to the opposite and with all spin gear my rod is in the right hand.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The saltist has a nice big cranking handle that lends itself pretty well to lure work and also has colouring to match the rod (they look good together).

It might sound a bit funny but are you left or right handed and do you enjoy working lures in a drop retrieve style ? If you do and say you are right handed, then moving over to a bait caster style reel in left hand version could transform the way you fish. With jigging action, slow pitch, micro jigging etc getting the best action out of the lure is key to catching fish. Using the rod in your right hand if right handed allows a far more controlled action from that dominant arm. For any finesse control of a rod to create action I use my right arm but for bigger game I go back to the opposite and with all spin gear my rod is in the right hand.

Thanks JonD, Excellent reply. I have a good few left hand baitcasters that I use for my freshwater fishing, more than I actually need lol,They are by far my favourite type of reel for freshwater. For my shore Bass fishing I use a small fixed spool. My thought process was to use something slightly more rugged for my boat fishing with lures, but not over the top, I do like to fish light as possible for the sport as I will be mainly targeting Bass, Cod and Pollock.

Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thanks JonD, Excellent reply. I have a good few left hand baitcasters that I use for my freshwater fishing, more than I actually need lol,They are by far my favourite type of reel for freshwater. For my shore Bass fishing I use a small fixed spool. My thought process was to use something slightly more rugged for my boat fishing with lures, but not over the top, I do like to fish light as possible for the sport as I will be mainly targeting Bass, Cod and Pollock.

Cheers
Andy
if your not casting lures an avet sx j
Would be good that’s what I use when drifting with shads heavy lead heads etc very small strong lever drag reel, but not a casting reel for light lures,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Im going to be getting a daiwa kenzaki 6-12lb, what would be a good reel to pair it with? I already have a slosh 20, would this ok?

Cheers
Hi - I use a daiwa kenzaki 6-12lb for lure work and for small tides in the Solent - I use a daiwa ninja 4000 FS - be interested too hear from the guys with more experience than me if that is s suitable match - seems to work ok

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Absolutely agree with JonD's post about baitcaster reels and left-hand winding. With drifting plastics and livebaits, sensitivity is everything. I'm right handed and hold the rod in my right hand. I want to feel every knock, tap and nuance the lure/bait is feeding back to me - and react swiftly - so it goes in my dominant hand.
Another bonus is that my reels have a thumb-bar spool release, so the rod stays in my right hand, and my left hand is for the reel handle and drag adjustment. There's no changing hands like you would for a right-hand reel. All this is useful if you're dropping onto a wreck or graunchy ground and need to react instantly.
The reels I use are a Shimano TranX 400HS and an Abu Revo Toro Beast. These are NOT skinny little baitcasters - they are robust big-fish saltwater reels with decent drags and a capacity of 300m of 30lb braid. But they come in a low-profile format that's smaller than a 5500, and so my outfits are light and easy to handle all day if you're on a long trip.
I use 8-15lb and 15-25lb inline rods with them and those combinations cover all my drifting, wrecking and reefing off the Dorset coast. I'd try one of your LHW baitcasters with the rod to see if it feels comfortable and logical, but bear in mind that a lot of the lighter reels have small spools and a slow retrieve - which is a pain in deeper water. Both the TranX and Beast come with high speed options, which are essential. (I have a little Abu Black Max I use for plaice and bream, but not in water deeper than about 30ft because of the slow retrieve).
I've had double-figure cod, bass and pollack on these skinny baitcasting outfits and never felt in trouble. It's a light, sporting and comfortable way of fishing and I scarcely use my conventional multipliers any more.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Absolutely agree with JonD's post about baitcaster reels and left-hand winding. With drifting plastics and livebaits, sensitivity is everything. I'm right handed and hold the rod in my right hand. I want to feel every knock, tap and nuance the lure/bait is feeding back to me - and react swiftly - so it goes in my dominant hand.
Another bonus is that my reels have a thumb-bar spool release, so the rod stays in my right hand, and my left hand is for the reel handle and drag adjustment. There's no changing hands like you would for a right-hand reel. All this is useful if you're dropping onto a wreck or graunchy ground and need to react instantly.
The reels I use are a Shimano TranX 400HS and an Abu Revo Toro Beast. These are NOT skinny little baitcasters - they are robust big-fish saltwater reels with decent drags and a capacity of 300m of 30lb braid. But they come in a low-profile format that's smaller than a 5500, and so my outfits are light and easy to handle all day if you're on a long trip.
I use 8-15lb and 15-25lb inline rods with them and those combinations cover all my drifting, wrecking and reefing off the Dorset coast. I'd try one of your LHW baitcasters with the rod to see if it feels comfortable and logical, but bear in mind that a lot of the lighter reels have small spools and a slow retrieve - which is a pain in deeper water. Both the TranX and Beast come with high speed options, which are essential. (I have a little Abu Black Max I use for plaice and bream, but not in water deeper than about 30ft because of the slow retrieve).
I've had double-figure cod, bass and pollack on these skinny baitcasting outfits and never felt in trouble. It's a light, sporting and comfortable way of fishing and I scarcely use my conventional multipliers any more.
Thanks for this marktheshark. Im a huge fan of baitcasters for the very reasons you stated. wasn't sure what would suitable for sea lure fishing. will have a look at your recommendations now.

Once again thanks mate.

Andy

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Which size Toro beast do you use?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
The previous model (Mark 3 - with the blue detailing); 61 HS left-hand wind. Comes with 3 handles - the palm-size power knob (!!!) is best for this kind of boat fishing.
It casts lures OK too and has a mag brake. It balances better casting with a twin handle. It was probably originally conceived as a pike/muskie reel.
Be aware it doesn't have a synchromesh, so if you're going to baitcast with it, make sure the line spreader is fairly central on the spindle bar.
TranX is a slightly better reel IMO. Drag is smoother and it feels more durable. Various YouTube comparisons suggest that the Shimano is better made.
Still love them both though ... couple of the skippers I fished with this season hadn't seen a set-up like these (low-profile baitcaster on an inline rod) and had a wiggle, and said they were amazed at how light and comfortable they were.
For me it's the utter simplicity of the set up. Fight the fish with your dominant hand; wind with your left. No need to worry about the drag - once it's pre-set you don't need to touch it. No need to worry about line-lay as the reels have a levelwind. You won't get spooled, you won't get busted off, the rod won't go pop*. Just trust in your tackle, don't rush things and enjoy the fight.

*If you were to hook a bluefin tuna, this might not apply ...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts