World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've now got back into beach fishing and am looking at buying two new rods and fixed spool reels. Will be fishing mainly Norfolk/Suffolk beaches. I've got a budget of about £400. I would like 13ft+ rods but unfortunately they would have to be three piece as I can only just fit 6ft lengths in my truck.
I looked at the Daiwa Longbeam 14ft rods and they seemed to fit the bill. Does anyone have any experience of these rods or maybe you can point me in another direction? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/angling-item-classifieds/2252836-greys-triplex-portsmouth.html

the guy above is selling a second hand triplex 16ft , these rods have been praised in far too many threads on the forum and his after 125 for one (he got one for sale), my advice its worth a shot, you got 75£ left to get yourself a shimano ultegra reel second hand ( same been highly praised by a lot of guys here).
200 left= get yourself a tripod, a floatation suit, a ruck sack and all other bits, worry about the 2nd rod later.

2nd hand buy you more for your money and your more likely to fit quality item within your budget, in future if you do not like the rod or reel , you can always sell them and find something that suits you. but the outfit above sound good to me triplex+ ultegras

·
Registered
258 Posts
Daiwa longbeam rods are ok but if you compare them to the Shakespeare agility rods they are well over priced,I have cast the longbeam and it does feel a little soft in the middle.The agility feels a good bit firmer and looks better finished,its also £85 quid or less and is fitted with zirconium rings as opposed to the longbeams aluminium oxide rings.The agility is 12ft 9ins but I dont think you will notice the lack of 3ins.As for reels I think a good reel for the job will be the daiwa emcast sport 5500 or 6000 these reels are about as good as it gets for less than a ton and you can pick one up for about £65,If you want to spend more money on a three piece beachcaster you can go on for ever looking and trying to decide but the agility ticks all the boxes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Evening. Had a quick look at the Shakespeare Agility rods. For the money they sound good. One of my local shops has a good deal on them at £69. Would you pick the 12'9" or the 15' model? They're the same price.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I would go for the 12 9s but if you can do a deal with your tackle dealer to buy 2 then perhaps he might let you have a go with one of each if you buy 2,if you catch my drift.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just bought a Longbeam 14 ft, nice looking rod, the workmanship appears to be excellent as far as I can see.....now to punch a few out there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts