World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, i'm new round these parts so please forgive any daft questions i may ask.

I'm looking into getting a new beachcaster, and money is a bit tight right now so am after something around 50 notes. The Daiwa longbeam was recommended to me as a quality rod at a bargain price, i just wondered if anyone here has one and what they thought of it?

Also, my old rod was 12ft, should i graduate to 13? I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes, will i be able to cast much further with it? Or would i, as a gent of slight build, be better off sticking with 12?

I guess what i really need to know is why someone would choose a 12ft rod over a 13ft one.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
i have about a dozen rods conoflex, daiwa sandstorm, longbeam, paul kerry, senzer z. shakespeare. the longbeam is new, i used it twice, when it came i looked at it and thought i dont like it. but i av tried it twice now, and it certainly can cast ok, can detect bites fine, seems a very light rod, thats what worried me as it seemed thin, but overall i guess for 44.99 it will do?lunkercod has a sandstorm 12ft and i got the 13 ft, and the tip on my 13 ft is very fine, when i bring it in it seems like i got a big fish on, an thats with just the weight, so id rather have the 12 ft like lunks? i mean at the end of the day its up to your personal preference, i personally dont mind a 12 or 13 ft rod, theres plenty out there in the price range you want, so ask around 1st, but there again a lot of our members will tell you, that you get what you pay for. and in most casse thats true.good luck with whatever you choose?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that. When my finances have picked up again i'll be looking for something better, it's just that my old rod is well past it's best and i'm in need of a replacement to tide me over until then.

If anyone knows any other rods in the 50 quid-ish range they would recommend, i'm open to suggestion.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
yes i av the shakespeare summit, so av a look at them 2 as bigfish suggested. i think marcus got a couple shakespeares, so e may av a word or 2 to say?

·
Banned
280 Posts
I would deffinately go for the shakespeare summit rather than the longbeam, myself and a m8 both own longbeams and also own a sub £50 shakespeare each, i have an odessa and he has a summit and they are both much better than the longbeams. The longbeam seems to be of a lesser build quality, my m8's actually snapped in 2 places on the top section while casting with not a lot of effort. The tip on them seems to bounce all over the place even if you just breathe on the thing. I certainly wouldnt recommend a longbeam over a summit or any other shakespeare in the £40-£50 bracket.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hi, how about a powerplay :D see my thread of today.

Ryan.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Ryan, i will definitely look into it. You say you were getting up to 200 yards with it? Very impressive considering the price.

G

·
i think they now do a 13ft version of the summit/powerplay.
they had a review in the sea dangler a while back, rated very highly.
Also, I think jims stock most of there stuff at redruth now.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hi Kriss, fantastic value for money, I measured off 200yrds over the field with a wheel from work, I then used a permanent marker to mark 200yrds on the line and then every 10yrds. Whilst casting on Saturday with my lad I had the 200yrd mark off the reel a couple of times, allowing for the belly of line out and without measuring the cast over grass I would say a conservative 180yrds.

I have over the years used allot of rods, indeed I use some very expensive models but for the money the powerplay takes some beating.

Regards Ryan. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers, this really is a great site.

I will be shopping around for a summit or a powerplay soon as i get a free day.

Ryan your recommendation has me sold, sounds like a fine rod. I didn't think you could achieve that kind of distance without spending over 100 notes.

Does it feel like a sturdy rod? Would you feel comfortable using it over rough ground?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hi Kriss, i wouldnt say its a rough ground rod, but certainly has more backbone than a longbeam or sandstorm so would still be better suited to the rough than them. I fish clean shallow marks or clean shingle marks, my lads powerplay has been a great buy for this fishing. :D

all the best Ryan

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, sounds good enough for me. I mostly fish clean marks, but often the Cornish rocks have other ideas.

·
Registered
93 Posts
hello mate just been reading your bit about the longbeam well if its any help to you i have one and wont use any other ive had one for about 6 months and after the[ getting to know bit] find it very easy to use and thinking about getting another seeing as my misses has been eyeballing the presant one yes she fishes too so in a nutshell go get one you wont regret it tight lines always

·
Registered
443 Posts
I also have a longbeam and am very happy with it. However, I would not use it to cast much more than 6oz, event though it is rated to 10

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
my longbeam is rated 4-8oz. never heard of one bein 10 oz.i only use a 5. but can get further with a 4oz, just the way the rod opperates i spose, try it with a 4oz and see what you think, it will be interesting for your views.thanks?

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
i got a shakespear summit and a shakespear neptune...

Both are fantastic rods..but the neptune is closing in on the £100 mark,,so its a little pricey..

I bought a Powerplay 12ft,,and used it once,,and then took it back...i didnt like the amount of bend in it..far to flimsy for me..

I swapped it for the neptune.

The Summit!!..what a class rod for the money,,,ive had mine a year now..used 2-3 times a week..and its still like new..

Casts powerfully and bite detection is great...It looks really nice too..

Ive pulled in a nice smoothie with it,,and had a fabulous scrap..

I got to say that shakespear have really pulled out the stops with there new line of rods...

Although im not a fan of the powerplay,,its just a matter of taste...it just wasent for me..

·
Registered
443 Posts
I agree that 4oz goes further and this is my normal lead (it will cast 3oz almost as far). I only go heavier when it's very rough. It definately says 4-10oz on the rod - honest! Bought it in about Feb this year as a package with a Diawa 5500 reel - £65 the lot.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hey Marcus, Ive never tried a summit but my son has got a Powerplay. I dont find it bendy at all, indeed i would say it has a fair bit of steel to it. The summit must be mega stiff if the powerplay is floppy in comparison. I have used a great deal of rods many of which are from top flight manufactures both on the tournament field and beach. I will drop in my mates shop and borrow a summit to have a go with it, could well be the next rod i get for my lad as his casting progresses.

All the best guys.

Ryan. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts