World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
1,827 Posts
I bought a Shimano Calcutta Conquest for $150 (€130), including post, last year. It was new, and the latest model is over $600. No good looking at it, straight on the baitcasting rod and off to sea. I've used it on the boat, for plugging, and for bass in the surf. It's so delicate and smooth, I keep thinking I'll break it, but it's got some guts. Tackle is made for fishing, so use it!

· Registered
6,333 Posts
Lovely reel, takes me back.
I had the 6RM in the early 80s. Upgraded to the 6HM around 1985, when I got it as part of my xmas.
Must admit I preferred the 6RM with its single handle.

Cheers willie

Reactions: 10263

· Registered
6,333 Posts
Why have it if you can't use it? Doesn't matter what it might be worth in x yrs, you'll always wonder what it would have cast like!
It cast like a dream, even with a level wind.
Back then if conditions allowed, 4oz lead was all that was required. The level wind made sure you could concentrate of the fish, knowing you had perfect line lay for the next cast.

cheers willie

· Read Only
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It cast like a dream, even with a level wind.
Back then if conditions allowed, 4oz lead was all that was required. The level wind made sure you could concentrate of the fish, knowing you had perfect line lay for the next cast.

cheers willie
Appreciated Willie. Hopefully I'll be out with it soon, I reckon it'll pair well with my Leeda Icon Match if 4oz is a good weight for it.

· Registered
6,333 Posts
Vince, it depends on where you fish with the tide pull and currents. The area I fished didn’t have strong tide pull and a lot of current. It depends if it holds the bottom on the area you fish. Fishing for flatties of a clear calm day it will move about and find a gulley.
You can fish 5oz or 6oz as well no problem.
I found I could get better distance in the right conditions with a 4oz. Hope that helps.

cheers willie

Appreciated Willie. Hopefully I'll be out with it soon, I reckon it'll pair well with my Leeda Icon Match if 4oz is a good weight for it.

· Read Only
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Vince, it depends on where you fish with the tide pull and currents. The area I fished didn’t have strong tide pull and a lot of current. It depends if it holds the bottom on the area you fish. Fishing for flatties of a clear calm day it will move about and find a gulley.
You can fish 5oz or 6oz as well no problem.
I found I could get better distance in the right conditions with a 4oz. Hope that helps.

cheers willie
It'll be somewhere nice and easy Willie, probably around the Clevelys area. I won't be trying it out on the Mersey when it's running like train! ☺

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.