World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up one of these on the old flea bay for £36.00, a few scratches but looks good to go in black and gold. I have an Abu 6500 c3 ct high speed which I find it hard to get the distance I thought I would achive with this reel. It was new when I bought it and is getting better with use and a few drops of rocket fuel but still not as good as I thought it would be. My question is how does the 7ht compare to the Abu on casting and overall fishing and is it user friendly. I am casting around 130 yards with the Abu with 3 mags and 2 break blocks but I use to do more with my old Abu 6500c with no mags, will I fare any better with the Daiwa 7ht. By the way my rod is the Abu Esprit 13 ft as you can see never used anything Daiwa before so any help useful. Sorry if this has been done to death before, just cant wait to try the Daiwa.

·
C.T.A.C.
650 Posts
Had about 9 7ht's in the last 10yrs.Not to say i killed them but i sold them for the new kids on the block (abu/penn),now i'll keep mine as you can batter them to death and they still fly.
Got 3 penn 525 mk2 and 4 penn slidy but over the clean ground the frist out of the box is the ht.

My only gripe is the small handle:shutup:

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Just picked up one of these on the old flea bay for £36.00, a few scratches but looks good to go in black and gold. I have an Abu 6500 c3 ct high speed which I find it hard to get the distance I thought I would achive with this reel. It was new when I bought it and is getting better with use and a few drops of rocket fuel but still not as good as I thought it would be. My question is how does the 7ht compare to the Abu on casting and overall fishing and is it user friendly. I am casting around 130 yards with the Abu with 3 mags and 2 break blocks but I use to do more with my old Abu 6500c with no mags, will I fare any better with the Daiwa 7ht. By the way my rod is the Abu Esprit 13 ft as you can see never used anything Daiwa before so any help useful. Sorry if this has been done to death before, just cant wait to try the Daiwa.
Shouldn't be anything much between the two reels if they are set up right ... the downside of the 7HT is you can't dial up the brakes when you need them, though they do run well on less TLC than the ABUs.

If you lose the blocks (they are totally unnecessary) on the 6500 and stick to 3 or 4 magnets they should be as good as anything else.

Small handles are good ... they force you to pump the reel with a weight on the end and not treat it like a winch.

·
C.T.A.C.
650 Posts
mall handles are good ... they force you to pump the reel with a weight on the end and not treat it like a winch.

I'm not saying that small handles are bad blackdog.but around here they are unless fishing the beach..

·
Registered
822 Posts
Shouldn't be anything much between the two reels if they are set up right ... the downside of the 7HT is you can't dial up the brakes when you need them, though they do run well on less TLC than the ABUs.

If you lose the blocks (they are totally unnecessary) on the 6500 and stick to 3 or 4 magnets they should be as good as anything else.

Small handles are good ... they force you to pump the reel with a weight on the end and not treat it like a winch.
First thing I did when I got a turbo was hoy the blocks away. A drop of oil every 10 seshes or so and never had a problem. Dream casting machine. Had it for about 3 years now and the only problem I had was snapping a side plate screw (my fault) but replaced easy from Daiwa for a few bob. Slight handicap with the low ratio retrieve and small handle but after a while you get used to it and adapt. If and when I blow it up I'll deffo get another.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts