World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have just paid £34.50 for a daiwa moonraker in good condition.Have i been done??? How good or bad are they.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Paid £80 for mine new, had it about 6 years now. Thirty-odd quid would be about right if its in good condition. Never heard any bad reports about these rods.
Quite a soft tip to the rod, good bite detection. Just watch out for the rings going rusty under the varnish, mine did quite quickly as did a daiwa sandstorm I bought more recently. Have you got a fixed spool or multiplier version?

·
Registered
116 Posts
To me, the moonraker felt like my 1st 'proper' rod. Go and enjoy it

·
Registered
595 Posts
i,ve had the moonraker for years love it , although don,t do much shore work these days i still use it on the odd occasion good luck with it steve

·
Captain Chaos!
3,694 Posts
Hiya, A great rod.....I have had mine for years... :) As Sgt Rock said, if you like it, its a great rod, if you dont...its rubbish !!!!!

Its a pity you didnt say that you were looking for one, you could have had this one, for the price of postage...as its lying in the loft doing nothing!!!!! :(

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
i have one, it really is a great rod!!! i love it!! i think it is fairly stiff (compared to my greys) i use a Daiwa sl20sh SHV with it.

Jamie

·
Read Only
2,618 Posts
Hi i have just paid £34.50 for a daiwa moonraker in good condition.Have i been done??? How good or bad are they.
No you haven't been done ive just paid £30.00 for one in fair condition and love it might get another?????

·
Registered
809 Posts
There were quite a few different moonrakers through the years :)

the original green coloured one at 12ft and at the same time the dark blue moonraker fast taper

Then the graphite coil mooonraker ( which I still have one ) with alloy butt

then various semi carbon versions through the 1990s

Although I cannot remeber them all

·
Previously Rockaape Roberts
1 Posts
There were quite a few different moonrakers through the years :)

the original green coloured one at 12ft and at the same time the dark blue moonraker fast taper

Then the graphite coil mooonraker ( which I still have one ) with alloy butt

then various semi carbon versions through the 1990s

Although I cannot remeber them all
In 1984 I bought & still own what I believe to be the first Moonraker that Daiwa produced - it's a 5300-12 (fixed spool) & it's brown in colour with green ring wrapping.....I later went on to purchase a Carbon Moonraker Fast Taper II 5681-12 (folding first ring) that is claret in colour, fading from dark at the Butt to much lighter at the tip.....both rods are still owned by myself & both currently still in use.

I bought a Daiwa (Apollo) 400X to compliment the 5300 & then a Daiwa GS7050 (Graphite) for the 5681......I'm still also using both of these reels with the rods, a testament to Daiwa imo.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I've got a burgundy coloured Moonraker with foam grips from the 1980s, it was my Dad's it's like new, but I'd never part with it.

·
Registered
21,402 Posts
I've got a burgundy coloured Moonraker with foam grips from the 1980s, it was my Dad's it's like new, but I'd never part with it.
:) I had the maroon multi one with the finger grip, great rod served me well for years until I retired from the RN and earned proper money and bought Zzippies. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts