World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While poking around a car boot I came across one of these that looks like it has never been near the water - at £12 I bought it. I like multi's with a level wind that disengages completely. I's very solidly built too.

When I took it apart it looks like it should have centrifugal brakes in the end cap opposite the handle but the spool hasn't anything to carry the blocks and looks like it never has had either. Any one know if they were made like this or if the wrong spool is fitted?

Mike's reel repair site shows a spool with brake blocks but the ps57 isn't listed as a procaster. The spool that's in it has a sort of steel (bottle) cap sticking out of it on the handle side. I can't imagine what it's for. Any ideas? I'm also curious about it's likely age.

John

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
John in the early eighties Daiwa had two sizes of these 55 and 57 and two varieties a brakeblock version and a mag version the Daiaw mag system had two rings of tiny magnets that could be adjusted to align or un align the rings of mags ,the drum on the spool ran betwenn these two rings sounds like you could have a centrifugal version but fitted with a mag spool or has the mag system been removed ? its still possible to make a simple mag brake to fit your reel

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. It could be a brake block reel with the wrong spool. There's a brass ring for the brakes to run in on the side opposite the handle and nothing in the housing on the handle side but that could take a ring too.
I may go that way as it will be easier to fit the brake blocks carrier. I don't fancy trying to cross drill the spindle. The ratchet gear on that end isn't removable. Then I might add a conventional mag brake to the other side too. (Maybe I should get a life!:)

John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts