World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all!

I don't really like spending alot on reels. I would sooner change my reel every year or two rather than spend £200-£300 on an expensive/flagship model.

I have a Daiwa Ninja and am looking to replace it now as its on its last legs. A slight upgrade that I have had my eye on is the Daiwa Exceler LT3000-CXH.. they seem to be a bit few and far between, I presume because they are a discontinued model. Does anyone know of a similar model at a similar price. It will be paired with a Major Craft Triple Cross TCX-902ML/EU Custom.

I do really like the Daiwa reels but am open to suggestions of a different brand.

Cheers.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Try a Shimano Sahara, or Nasci for a bit more protection. Good value for money at a similar price point.
(FWIW I fish both Shimano and Daiwa; I'm not biased towards one or the other)
Or if you want to stick to Daiwa and upgrade get a BG 3000. Those are excellent workhorses for the money, around £100. My dad put his through its paces in Norway with a Major Craft Costage 7-21g.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Out of interest, how long did your Ninja last? Bought one to use this year as I've heard good things about them, but yet to test it properly with a decent fish

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Out of interest, how long did your Ninja last? Bought one to use this year as I've heard good things about them, but yet to test it properly with a decent fish
I have had the ninja for about 3 years but not done alot of trips. It has been fully submerged in the sea a couple of times and I haven't done any maintenance. Very happy with it overall, just wanted a slight upgrade as the salt water has taken its toll.

·
Registered
346 Posts
If the Ninja has lasted 3 years, as mine has, why not get another one but do some maintenance on it i.e. wash it of with fresh water after every trip and give it a good service every year. I do and hopefully will last a lot longer. Even better with it having two spools. Just a thought if you like it so much....and it’s cheap.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the Ninja has lasted 3 years, as mine has, why not get another one but do some maintenance on it i.e. wash it of with fresh water after every trip and give it a good service every year. I do and hopefully will last a lot longer. Even better with it having two spools. Just a thought if you like it so much....and it’s cheap.
I may well do. I saw the Exceler and it looked a bit nicer and also saw a video and it looked really smooth and crisp so thought about trying one of those instead, the plus being its a slight upgrade, as such. Just testing the water and seeing what else people might recommend.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've got one in 4000A for bass and mullet in the estuary, I'm hoping it'll also be able to cope with decent pollock from deep rock marks?

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
The ninja has a decent drag. If you don't care for your reels even a £500 reel is going to sound like a bag of nails before long. When Lidl next have their 3000 and 5000 size reels in take a look. I use them for flattie fishing and just hose off and my first one is over ten years old. I stocked up on three more when they were last in store.

The BG is a awesome reel and I use the 2500 size for my lures in the 20-60gram ranges. But I do some basic maintenance and always wash down with fresh water after a trip.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I pair my Triple Cross rods with a mix of ninjas and excelers. My excelers are 2500 size and I tend to use them for the heavier lure work. They don't get frequent use apart from a few weeks a year and just get a hose down and put away until they're needed again. Still smooth and reliable after 5yrs, not overworked but not looked after properly either!
Reels quality nowadays is so good I wouldn't even consider anything over £100, I'd rather just replace every few years when required.
If and when the excelers need replacing the only change I'd make would be from 2500 to 4000.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts