World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent my slosh 30 to daiwa to get sorted (it's been playing up a bit), and got a phone call today from them telling me it will cost £89 to fix it...£89 !!!

Can anyone explain how a £60 reel can cost £89 to fix ?

I'll get someone local to have a look at it, and if it can't be fixed, guess what I'll replace it with......yeah....anything but a daiwa.

Greedy b**t**ds !

Please warn your colleagues not to use daiwa service if they need a reel looking at !

£89.....crooks.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
That's out of order.
Did they send you a breakdown of the costs or an explanation of what was wrong? If not ask for one.

To totally rebuild a reel takees 30 minutes tops, and I'm guessing that they are far faster than I am.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm waiting for a reply to my email...not holding my breath mind.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Daiwa were once one of the best companies to approach about a tackle problem.
Appears to have changed - for the worse - in recent years.
Seems to depend on who deals with your problem. Bit of a lottery perhaps as to who opens your letter or picks up the phone. I have a feeling some staff training may be required.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hang on a minute. Try buying anything in parts and it will cost you loads more then buying a new item. Plus you have to pay for their labour to strip and repair the reel. Now if they have quoted £89.00 then it sounds like the reel is pretty well [email protected] and needs a bit more then a new bearing and a handle?
Have they repaired it and demanded you pay £89.00, no. They have told you how much it will cost to repair and given you the option of getting it repaired or not. Obviously you will decline to get it repaired so they will return the reel to you. Possibly at no cost to you and a waste of their time and effort in assesing the damage which you caused to it.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
That's out of order.
Did they send you a breakdown of the costs or an explanation of what was wrong? If not ask for one.

To totally rebuild a reel takees 30 minutes tops, and I'm guessing that they are far faster than I am.
Parts £19.00

Labour £70.00.....

....more than likely! :unsure:

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
Have to agree about Daiwa,i bought a new rod went out for the first time loaded up hooked a fish, lo and behold the top section snaped,went back to shop (Canvey Angling) they sent it back to Daiwa,i was under the impression that it would be changed there and then,i think that they have had experence of this company,anyhow after going back to Canvey two times the chap there says o/k i will change it,he took the risk,i took a credit note told him i dont want another Daiwa ,next time i am in the shop he says Daiwa advises that i HAD CAUGHT IT IN A TREE,needless to say the last tackle i will purchase in future "DAIWA" can only speak as i find == PAT

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Tony send it to me and I will have a look at it for you and see how much it will cost. I will do the work for free, but you will have to pay P&P plus parts.

If you already know whats wrong with it, let me know and I will proce the parts up for you.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i think a lot of firms underestimate the power of aftersales service.it seems to be that when you buy items (not just fishing related) that once they have the cash,TOUGH **** if you want a replacement,it gets repaired.now i know not everyone is minted etc and cant justify spending big bucks on items just for after care but it makes my blood boil when i see stuff like this.

i think PENN get enough praise on this website (i`m amazed the penn boys can get hats to fit there heads lol) but they do have great aftersales care and actually being able to get hold of someone who you can talk to is great.i have had issues with SONY,NOKIA etc etc and there attitude stinks towards consumers so its nice to find a company who are helpfull (takes a bit of guts to actually post on a website instead of sitting off on the sidelines and putting your head in the sand) i will pay more for an item if i get good customer service,if only other companys would follow through with after sales.

p.s what a great offer by fishing fanatic (even if he is a manc lol) gotta love this website :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hang on a minute. Try buying anything in parts and it will cost you loads more then buying a new item. Plus you have to pay for their labour to strip and repair the reel. Now if they have quoted £89.00 then it sounds like the reel is pretty well [email protected] and needs a bit more then a new bearing and a handle?
Have they repaired it and demanded you pay £89.00, no. They have told you how much it will cost to repair and given you the option of getting it repaired or not. Obviously you will decline to get it repaired so they will return the reel to you. Possibly at no cost to you and a waste of their time and effort in assesing the damage which you caused to it.
TRUE,but surely £30 more than a new reel takes the **** ? and surely they must be making these at a loss then ? if the parts are that expensive.even if it did need a COMPLETE overhaul and building from top to bottom there would be no justification to even get it done.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tony send it to me and I will have a look at it for you and see how much it will cost. I will do the work for free, but you will have to pay P&P plus parts.

If you already know whats wrong with it, let me know and I will proce the parts up for you.
Thanks for the offer. As I said, I'm waiting for a reply from daiwa which should explain exactly what is wrong with the reel.
I'll let you know.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another thing to remember is, when I said £60 for a new reel, that's shop price, NOT what daiwa is chucking them out for !

·
Registered
404 Posts
Have to agree about Daiwa,i bought a new rod went out for the first time loaded up hooked a fish, lo and behold the top section snaped,went back to shop (Canvey Angling) they sent it back to Daiwa,i was under the impression that it would be changed there and then................. == PAT
I'm pretty sure it should have been changed or refunded there and then. Your contract is with the retailer and where they have sold you goods that are faulty or unfit for purpose it is their responsibility to remedy the situation for you, not the manufacturer (though the retailer can then seek recompense from the manufacturer or wholesaler who he purchased the goods from). A lot of retailers pull strokes like this either out of ignorance or as a deliberate attempt to sideskip their obligations. DOn't let them away with it.

Consider a more common situation. You buy a loaf of bread from the supermarket and when you get home you discover it's mouldy/6 slices short/brown bread instead of white or whatever. You take it back to the shop and expect them to either replace it or refund your money. You would laugh if they tried to stall you claiming they had to send it back to w*rb*t*ns for them to sort. So why accept that kind of treatment just because it's a more expensive or less frequently purchased item? It doesn't matter, the same legal rights apply.

Anyone who is a lawyer or professionally knowledgeable about consumer law feel free to correct me, but that's my understanding of it.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Another thing to remember is, when I said £60 for a new reel, that's shop price, NOT what daiwa is chucking them out for !
http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59931

I think this gives an indication of the size of mark up that tackle manufacturers go for..............and thats coming from a guy in the industry. For a reel to cost £70 in the shops, after the manufacturer and the retailer get their cut.........and probably a middle man.......... then the cost of production MUST be considerably lower.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Daiwa service is cack in my experience. Handed over an Emcast reel to local tackle shop, for them to order a new part and fit it, and they still havent received the part yet. They ordered it in October. i think that speaks for itself.
Penn on the other hand are brilliant: Contacted them about a minor problem with a supermag multiplier, and a new endplate was in the post the next day. WAKE UP DAIWA!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Daiwa service is cack in my experience. Handed over an Emcast reel to local tackle shop, for them to order a new part and fit it, and they still havent received the part yet. They ordered it in October. i think that speaks for itself.
Penn on the other hand are brilliant: Contacted them about a minor problem with a supermag multiplier, and a new endplate was in the post the next day. WAKE UP DAIWA!
Can't help but praise Penn. Lost the insert to my tip ring on Saturday, bought the rod last November from Veals. Rang Veals and asked if I could send it back to them for repair. They said it would be quicker to call Penn direct. Put straight through to Gary Caulfield. Explained my problem. No worries he said, I will post you two new inserts, just rub round the tip ring to smooth it down and push in the new insert, self adhesive, he added if I wanted to I could also top it up with a bit of loctite.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm pretty sure it should have been changed or refunded there and then. Your contract is with the retailer and where they have sold you goods that are faulty or unfit for purpose it is their responsibility to remedy the situation for you, not the manufacturer (though the retailer can then seek recompense from the manufacturer or wholesaler who he purchased the goods from). A lot of retailers pull strokes like this either out of ignorance or as a deliberate attempt to sideskip their obligations. DOn't let them away with it.

Consider a more common situation. You buy a loaf of bread from the supermarket and when you get home you discover it's mouldy/6 slices short/brown bread instead of white or whatever. You take it back to the shop and expect them to either replace it or refund your money. You would laugh if they tried to stall you claiming they had to send it back to w*rb*t*ns for them to sort. So why accept that kind of treatment just because it's a more expensive or less frequently purchased item? It doesn't matter, the same legal rights apply.

Anyone who is a lawyer or professionally knowledgeable about consumer law feel free to correct me, but that's my understanding of it.
Thats correct, your contract is with the retailer that sold you the item for the first 12 months only, if the warrenty period is longer than this, the remainder of any warrenty then lays with the manufacturer. A point to remember here is that both the retailer and the manufacturer can and prob will ask to see a proof of purchase.

·
Banned
384 Posts
never had a problem with daiwa,in fact snapped a few rods and they replaced them for me free,maybe that was because i took them back to the factory

1 - 20 of 42 Posts