World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been fishing a couple of times in the tamar the last few days and had a few small bass. a few of the fish i caught had half the scales missing on one side and looked like sores/ grazes. i bet there`s some bloody gill nets in the river somewhere. chatting to other anglers they have all said the same, fish being caught damaged, some of them had taken photo`s and i think were going to show them to the authorities. I really think this is gill nets doing this. when are these f~~~ing things going to be banned altogether. i assume most of these young bass will catch a disease from the wounds and eventually die. why is this allowed to carry on. I was glad to say that every fish i saw caught was handled carefully in a towel and released by the other anglers there. very nice to see, but they will only go back and find a net. does anyone know a phone number to report these nets if spotted as im sure theyre not allowed in the river. i want to keep this number in my phone so when i`m out fishing i can contact someone to get it removed and hopefully destroyed.

cheers shaun

·
Official Jokes Forum Examiner
61,171 Posts
been fishing a couple of times in the tamar the last few days and had a few small bass. a few of the fish i caught had half the scales missing on one side and looked like sores/ grazes. i bet there`s some bloody gill nets in the river somewhere. chatting to other anglers they have all said the same, fish being caught damaged, some of them had taken photo`s and i think were going to show them to the authorities. I really think this is gill nets doing this. when are these f~~~ing things going to be banned altogether. i assume most of these young bass will catch a disease from the wounds and eventually die. why is this allowed to carry on. I was glad to say that every fish i saw caught was handled carefully in a towel and released by the other anglers there. very nice to see, but they will only go back and find a net. does anyone know a phone number to report these nets if spotted as im sure theyre not allowed in the river. i want to keep this number in my phone so when i`m out fishing i can contact someone to get it removed and hopefully destroyed.

cheers shaun
it certainly sounds like that might be the problem , but the police boat should be stopping this .

·
Registered
696 Posts
By "carefully" handling fish in a towel you take off the protective slime which will allow the disease to enter the wounds. so you are probably making things worse, thats if they escape the nets.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
cant see it a netter doing this as small stuff will swim right through it !!!!! these small bass are hunted like any other fish by bigger fish and lets face it that sub base cant do any good to the water or the fish in wilcove there has been 3 cases of luekiemia just makes you wonder whats being put in the river and as for the police boat doing something about it you are having a laugh !!!!!!! sorry ray but had to say it m8

·
Registered
1 Posts
rich, some of these fish were up to 2lb, it was the whole flank which was damaged. i wouldnt say it was anything else like a seal.

and the bass handled with a towel, well i dont fancy holding them ive already got loads of cuts from the gill covers/spines. dont forget we didnt inflict these injuries on the fish and you cant choose which if any take your bait.

shaun

using dads pc.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
the sooner they bann these murdering walls of death the better,if you see illigal netting going on do us all a favour and report it as soon as you can.
and dont forget to take boat numbers:)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no unfortunately, i didnt have my camera with me, but some of the other anglers took some photo`s of the fish they caught. one chap i was talking to said he was goig to send them to the authorities. didnt get involved with the conversation any deeper. if i go again i will take my camera.

cheers shaun

·
Registered
372 Posts
As for the towel , grab the bass by the bottom lip and if its a big one support its belly.They don't bite and its lip is about the only bit without spikes.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
been trying to search for pics of scarring caused by gill nets on the net, but havent found anything yet, i did read that per km of gill net an average of 7 dolphins die per year getting tangled in the nets. its a wonder theres anything still alive in the sea. what chance have these fish got dodging gill nets, trawlers and then the frogs pair teams.

glad im not a bass:giveup: :giveup: :giveup:

·
Registered
553 Posts
I know this wont stop the gill netters but may help the sores on the Bass, when I go carp fishing I carry a small bottle of fluid called kryston klin-ik antiseptic which when applied to the fishes wounds helps the healing process, don't know if this would be any good due to the salt water though.http://www.kryston.com/lotions/klinik.htm

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
this was right down the flank of the fish right down to the flesh, scales and skin broken/ blood red.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Ive had the number on my phone for years, aint had to use it yet, but its something we all should have stored on our phones. You never know when you might need it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts