World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fortunate that I live a few minutes away from the Medway estuary, so when the tide is right I can go an practice casting over water instead of walking backwards and forwards across a field.

Having only really started putting the effort into distance casting this year, I'm gradually increasing my distance.

But plopping into water, I've only a vague idea of the distance I'm getting each cast (a feature going out 97.5 yards (I measured it with Google Earth) helps, but I don't always see where the lead splashes in.

Then the thought struck me.

Why not, after a really good cast, mark the line on the spool with a permanent marker pen, and that becomes the target to beat on subsequent casts (I could also spool out the line to the mark on dry land to measure the best distance achieved).

Well, it went well .... at first.

After a few casts I achieved a distance that I was happy with, and out came the marker pen.

A while later I was looking at an unmarked spool (Yay!).

Out came the marker pen again.

Twice more, the marking moved deeper on the spool.

Then the inevitable happened!

The mark was now so deep, no subsequent casts were going far enough to do anything more than uncover it to mock me.

Tried hitting it harder, hitting it more smoothly, waiting for the wind to be right, offering up a simple prayer.

Sometimes I felt that I'd hit a beauty.

But still the mark stayed firmly on the spool :(

I think I might go back to mullet fishing, at least I know how frustrating that is!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Even if you drive a Ferrari, there is only so fast it will go. Casting is similar. Given the same parameters, the maximum distance will be approximately the same. Change the parameters... ?

·
Registered
694 Posts
I hope you were gently tightening down to the lead after it had settled in the mud/sand before marking the line or you will be flattering yourself when you stretch it out on land. It should work in theory with a tight line.:clap:

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Not a very good way to ascertain distance achieved anyway, it doesnt take into account the big loop of line between where you stand and where the lead touches down, which is outside of a direct line between the two points (which (assuming its at the same level as where you stand and yr not standing higher than the water level)is the true distance achieved). The length of line in this loop can vary enormously as well, factors such as wind, trajectory of lead etc all play their part.
I hope this makes sense, does to me...........sort of :blink:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
cut 50yds off you main line put leader back on should cast past the marker (lol)

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
I use a simillar idea, if I consider a cast half tidy, I run off another 10 meters of line. I then cut off a piece of carrier bag the size of a finger nail and put it under the line. It quite satifying when you have hit a good one it shoots off the spool. :clap2:

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
Then the inevitable happened!

The mark was now so deep, no subsequent casts were going far enough to do anything more than uncover it to mock me.
Why did depth have anything to do with casting range?

Imagine casting 100 (300ft) yards forward at 60 (180ft)yard depth, then Pythagoras says that by your calculation you have cast 80(240 ft) yards diagonally when you line touches bottom, that you tighten the line immediately.

(3,4,5 square of the angle on the hypotenuse)

Confused? me too.

Why wait until your line to tighten and get a measure?

Now I am not being pedantic or cheeky but if this is the case then a similar result produces... 30 yard cast, 40 yard depth, 50 yard diagonal length.

This means that you can fish deep water close in or shallow water further out.

Your casting distance must surely be measured solely on how far away your weight hits the water.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi Leon, there's nothing wrong with marking your line, it may not be accurate re what distance you're reaching but it does give you an indication of how well you're casting, if it varies alot then you need to improve your casting technique to become more consistant

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I always mark my line with a black marker pen and mark it with about 6 inches of black. If that black marker wizzes off the spool before the lead hits the deck i know i'm on for a decent measure :showoff: - If its still on the spool i know that i am casting like a div! :crazy:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts