World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've took my boat out of the water for the winter and was cleaning it out below the deck . When cleaning l could smell something really bad coming from the drain holes which lead into the bilges of the boat which is double skinned . There is a lot of brown polysterine stuff in there which also feels damp.I managed to get a flat screw driver in there and scrape a bit out. I have put the bow as high up as l can to try and make any water run out but there's nothing coming out ??. Which could mean that a bit of water might be trapped in there.. Any ideas ??

·
Registered
11,785 Posts
Trev - never had a foam filled boat, so I can't offer any help or suggestions, but there are a few QS owners on here, so reminding people what boat you have might generate a few more relevant answers?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi mate.. Hope that when your boat comes out that it ain't full of nice suprise's lol. And yes... The boat. Quicksilver 560. So its basically the same set up as the 500, 530, 580. Thanks everyone billylongpockets
. Cheers Clinker n hope your doing well.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
I've took my boat out of the water for the winter and was cleaning it out below the deck . When cleaning l could smell something really bad coming from the drain holes which lead into the bilges of the boat which is double skinned . There is a lot of brown polysterine stuff in there which also feels damp.I managed to get a flat screw driver in there and scrape a bit out. I have put the bow as high up as l can to try and make any water run out but there's nothing coming out ??. Which could mean that a bit of water might be trapped in there.. Any ideas ??
Can you post some photos as I can't think where you are seeing this on a QS?

It should have a self draining deck but my 620 and 500 didn't have a double skin so yours must be built differently.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vehicle Boat Skiff Roof

Here is another shot below the deck showing the drain holes.. The bilge pump is situated on the opposite side at the back of the boat as we are looking forward. Will take better photos on the weekend if it helps.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Don't like the look of those holes matey. Looks like somebody has drilled them through to put in exterior drain bungs which are non standard. I'd reckon the transom is double skinned with a plywood or similar filler, if a hole is drilled through that and not properly lined the bilge water will get into the plywood.

There sure weren't any like these on either of my QS boats. You shouldn't need to have drains there, if the bilges are taking in a lot of water look to finding where it is from IMHO.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh the joys of buying second hand... There are two more drain holes under the seats in the pilot house ???. Without a doubt it is damp behind there so it does need further investigation. My other alternative is to unscrew the laminate floor and lift that. The only problem there is if it gets damaged that will be a reall bugger to replace and you will never match it up with the other pieces.. Well has anyone ever felt the need to lift the floor in there Q/S ?? Another idear might be to get it into a workshop and put a tarpolian tent around the outside of the boat and then have an industrial heater running to warm up the hull in the hope that the damp will dry out.. I just don't know at this moment of time just what to do.. cheers ... A very sad Billylongpockets...

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
No way there should need to be drain holes anywhere in the cabin!!

Likely places for damp to get in:

In the roof where cables have been run through.

Window seals.

If you have that odd air intake thingy up front you can take it off and get a blanking plate to fit, water splashes in there if you are in a bit of a rough sea. The outer flange can let water if not properly sealed (refitted mine on the 620).

Door seals, make sure the door isn't warped and that the seals are intact.

You can get condensation in the cabin with temperature changes, used to get a bit of that with both QS boats but never enough to leave standing water on the floor.

You will get a bit of water in the bilge if you are washing down with a powerful hose or deckwash, it splashes up under the deck hatch as they are very rarely watertight. I just mop it out with a sponge from time to time. It deffo shouldn't be enough to worry about.

I'd get rid of those drain plugs mate, leave it all to dry out for as long as possible then fit some screw fitting bungs right through with plenty of sikaflex around them as you tighten them up.

Where is the boat parked while out of the water? Is it near where you live?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
you say you bought it second hand, did you have a survey done?

if so would there be any comeback with the surveyer?

hope you get it sorted without having to take out a second mortgage

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes mate, we brought it home 2 weeks ago. It's in a friends compound for the winter months. I've not noticed any excess water in the bottom of the boat but we did take her out in a gale with lots of water going over the top ??

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes mate, l know a guy who owns some industrial units just outside of Steeple Claydon ( home ).. Bit closer than Wareham in Dorset .. l am wanting to look into this a little more before I start sealing the holes up.. The term "opening a can of worms" come to mind..

Sorry I'm repeating myself. It's been a long day..

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you say you bought it second hand, did you have a survey done?

if so would there be any comeback with the surveyer?

hope you get it sorted without having to take out a second mortgage
Bought it from a reputable boat dealer ( no point in slinging mud ). The boat was not cheap.. No loans or HP. The boat is all mine.
Was told by the broker when buying it that the boat had seen very little use as the engine had less than 20 hrs on it. Backed by computer read out.
It's my problem .

·
Registered
223 Posts
View attachment 151270
Here is another shot below the deck showing the drain holes.. The bilge pump is situated on the opposite side at the back of the boat as we are looking forward. Will take better photos on the weekend if it helps.
Hi

What is the area behind the holes I presume it is sealed area with deck above, infilled with foam and no other hatch's etc and no where else for water to penetrate.

If so its built in bouancy that someone at some stage felt the need to put some drain holes in as they thought it was holding water etc strange what some peeps do

No holes the opposite side so it was prob some bad advise they may of had

If your now out for the winter store as dry as poss and if no water is coming out reseal.

Might be worth if you feel confident enough cutting an area out to make sure the foam is not sodden through.

Be simple enough and you could then refit a watertight hatch or repair in glass.

A lot of guessing here but seems probable

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
Bought it from a reputable boat dealer ( no point in slinging mud ). The boat was not cheap.. No loans or HP. The boat is all mine.
Was told by the broker when buying it that the boat had seen very little use as the engine had less than 20 hrs on it. Backed by computer read out.
It's my problem .
Dealer or broker? Did you buy it from a dealer? If so go back to him. Did you buy it from a broker? If so you should have had a survey done before parting with that sort of money.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Yes mate, l know a guy who owns some industrial units just outside of Steeple Claydon ( home ).. Bit closer than Wareham in Dorset .. l am wanting to look into this a little more before I start sealing the holes up.. The term "opening a can of worms" come to mind..

Sorry I'm repeating myself. It's been a long day..
I'll come over and have a look at it if you like? Be interesting to see what has been done to your boat.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi

What is the area behind the holes I presume it is sealed area with deck above, infilled with foam and no other hatch's etc and no where else for water to penetrate.

If so its built in bouancy that someone at some stage felt the need to put some drain holes in as they thought it was holding water etc strange what some peeps do

No holes the opposite side so it was prob some bad advise they may of had

If your now out for the winter store as dry as poss and if no water is coming out reseal.

Might be worth if you feel confident enough cutting an area out to make sure the foam is not sodden through.

Be simple enough and you could then refit a watertight hatch or repair in glass.

A lot of guessing here but seems probable

Your words make sense.. The previous owner felt the need to make drain holes just in case.. If l can lift a section of the laminate floor then that will solve the mystery.. Failing that I think an inspection hole is the only way forward.. First of all lm wanting to seal a pipe into the holes and either blow down or put a small amount of compressed air down the tube/pipe and find out where/if it leaks out.. No matter what she ain't going out to sea with this problem.. I will keep those that are interested posted.. Meanwhile any other idear's will be gratefully received. Thanks Billy.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Rather than lift the laminate floor, and if you have any access closer why not spend £100.00 on a inspection camera, I have seen them for £85.00 with a detachable screen.

May save you a small fortune in the long run.

Hope it helps

Daren

·
Registered
223 Posts
Your words make sense.. The previous owner felt the need to make drain holes just in case.. If l can lift a section of the laminate floor then that will solve the mystery.. Failing that I think an inspection hole is the only way forward.. First of all lm wanting to seal a pipe into the holes and either blow down or put a small amount of compressed air down the tube/pipe and find out where/if it leaks out.. No matter what she ain't going out to sea with this problem.. I will keep those that are interested posted.. Meanwhile any other idear's will be gratefully received. Thanks Billy.
Previous owner made couple of holes, the foam in the bulkhead has got damp from condensation. Never mind pumping compressed air into the area if its air tight and you pump to much not good idea.
If water is not trickling out of those holes leave it whilst she laid up, get a dehumidifier seal the area with a tarp and let it run for couple weeks will pull all the moisture out then glass it back up.

You mention your flooring but prob under that you just going to find Fglass flooring you gonna make a mess for no good reason.

Don't think the worse it was just a thing some egit thought was a good idea.

If you really got a major concern and it going to make you loose sleep get one of these

http://www.safety-marine.co.uk/hatc...enderson-watertight-inspection-hatch-tcl4.htm

I got one they are watertight tested and proven

Cut a hole to suit check it out and fit and forget.

Job all done and your back to enjoying instead of worrying.

By the way is the boat still in Wareham

1 - 20 of 27 Posts