World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little warning to anyone learning to cast or out for a practice.
Dont do what i did this morning, Down the beach with some old rod i put together with bits i had laying around in my spare box.
Any way, started with over head thump, and thought i'll try off the ground with the lead laying straght back, so far so good.
Now there was a boat preparing to go out with two anglers in it, about three yards from me.
I layed the lead out behind me as you would if you were penlum casting, behind me and to my left( im right handed). Powered into the cast and lost the feel of the lead, rod swung around nearly hitting the beach.
The lead flue between the two anglers heads who were in the boat.
I could'nt opologise to them enough and stoped.
I wanted to know why the lead came off, the line had'nt snaped and the clip was ok so went back to look for the lead and did i have a shock when i found it.
The wire had straghtened out where the eye use to be.
So please check your leads for any rust and do what i did this morning, bin them.
Yes folks you have one very frightened nerd, still shaking with the thought of what could have happend and all my fault for not sticking to the rule book, ckecking my gear was safe and that no one was to near. leason lernt.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes leason lernt, but what supprised me was the metal eye on the lead, it was'nt badly rusted and could have been cleaned off with a brillo pad, well, down to garry evans monday to buy new leads. good fishing lads

X

·
0 Posts
lucky escape there. Make sure the weights you buy have a short or long tail eyes in not the brass or stainless steel loops like some shops sell.:uhuh:

X

·
0 Posts
Plug plug plug eh Allan ;)
no dave :) it just dont like them loops in beach leads! As i have seen to many come out in a cast. Thats why all my beach and casting weights have short tail eyes in that i know will not come out.:clap2:

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
no dave :) it just dont like them loops in beach leads! As i have seen to many come out in a cast. Thats why all my beach and casting weights have short tail eyes in that i know will not come out.:clap2:
That's what i was meaning Allan.

Those loops do have a place, either on very small leads or in the bin

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
i make my own weights. when you buy them from anywhere , how do you know how much wire or how secure it is unless you can see it?.
if leads are bought, its important they are made by a reputable manufacturer.
the other point is, i would never use anything but stainless wire , this eliminates the risk of rust and rot.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I cant believe that anyone would be so stupid as to practice power casting 3 yards away from anyone or anything :(
a tad sanctamonius me thinks!
we have all done silly things! seems this bloke has learnt from his mistake
so no need for that comment is ther!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
go for a quality lead, thje only dodgy weights i have are for rough ground rotton bottoming. so they're only over head thumped so danger and don't mind if i loose them.

D

·
0 Posts
i make all my own weights and only ever use stainless steel welding rods for the eyes on em.year's ago me and the old man made some and he forgot to bend the ends of the wire.when i used them the lead flew off and that was about it!melted them all down and never made that mistake again!.....dave.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts