World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am fishing my first solo session in the dark tonight. Nice and calm with good viz hopefully.
It is a sandy beach with rock and reef along the one side. I will be fishing over shallow weedy reefs then off the beach. Expecting a possible light surf on the beach. Not sure which lures to use. Thinking senko, FS, albie, spindleworm and patch. Any others I should be considering?
Is it better to slow down the retrieve at night? Any suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
8,516 Posts
Best of luck dead slow with the Albie, if casting isn't a priority weightless spindleworm nice and slow see's it just under the surface.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am no stranger to night fishing, having caught double figure cod, rays and hounds, all in the dark, but that was on my local marks which I know like the back of my hand. My first lure session in the dark was a wake up call - the mark I chose I had fished maybe 6 or 7 times before in the day and I thought I knew it. Whilst fumbling my way across weed covered rocks in the inky blackness last night, I quickly realized that I didn't know it well enough. Trying not to use my headlamp too much didn't help. I usually have a full beam blasting out when bottom fishing but trying to be stealthy and not too bright was a challenge. After maybe an hour of uncertainty wading amongst the weedy rocks and flicking out the patch 125 and then a white senko, I'd had nowt, so I moved to the sandy beach which was a lot easier to fish and basically safer, although by now it was raining a little. The mark was pretty remote; there was cloud cover and no moon so it really was dark. The recent calm and an offshore breeze had cleared the water up and there was a good metre of viz. The surf was non existent with just a gentle occasional swell moving past. Phosphorescent plankton were flashing around my legs as I walked through the water. Feeling a little more confident on flat stable ground, I worked through a range of lures and worked them all very slowly, with the albie, spindle worm, a Ryobi Trapper and feed shallow all getting a swim but in the end I blanked. Wearing shorts under the waders was a bad choice and it was soon pretty cold, so I left and began the task of finding my way off the beach to the car.
The 50 mile drive home was probably more dangerous than the fishing as I struggled to stay awake. Whether I maintained the 50mph through an average speed section, I really can't recall, but I got home somehow.
Overall, it was an experience, but I think I'll stick to bottom fishing in the dark and lure fishing in the daytime until I get to know some lure marks a bit better.

·
Registered
596 Posts
It can be difficult as lure fishing at night you're on the move more. Regarding the use of lights I'm not sure it makes too much of a difference. As long as you retreat back from the edge and use a dim a light it should be ok. I have a petzl cheap head torch that has several modes and only really use the low and red settings. Just enough to be safe and then off when getting into the water.

It can be intimidating and you really do need to know exactly where you are and where the gullies are. It gets easier.

I have to say my first night trips on my own were difficult, my mind was working over time seeing and hearing things. Once I thought I was stranded on a rock, prepared myself for a swim only to find out the water surrounding me was only a foot deep. Must have looked a right chump jumping in to a puddle expecting to be in over my head.

·
Registered
8,516 Posts
You will never know a mark well enough to be complacent in the dark. I was wading recently a place I've fished a fair bit in daylight and nearly went over when sand had shifted and left a shelf no more the six inches but it was enough for me to loose my balance. Some pretty nifty foot work that would have seen me alright on come dancing saved a ducking. A wading stick is always a handy suggestion in the dark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts