World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Daymer bay all last week with no luck using peeler and lug apart from a huge bite that resulted in my 20lb hook length bitten through, no idea what that was. Managed to get onto the rocks on friday for some plugging when the wind died down and caught this bass. Didnt have my scales with me but it was fatter and heavier than my previous best which was 7lb. Thought about taking it home to weigh, but returned instead. What a fight!!

Attachments

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
now dont u feel good seeing that old girl swim away .it does me ..that bass must have been getting on 10years old ..swimming the seas out whitting predators netters and god knows what else and if shes female shes a breeder laying millions of eggs for our future sport well done mate ..take a bow

·
Banned
15,857 Posts
Well done

I've allways found the rocks at Daymer(Greenaway) fish better than the beach

I tend to find the stretch by the old wreck seems to fish the best

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Well done on mate , that's a lovely fish . A bass of over 14 lb was caught on that side of the river several years back , it was the cornish record , not sure if it still is but its nice to know that there is still some big ones in the river, well done again.

·
Banned
1,115 Posts
I fish Greenaway rocks every year when I come down and not a sniff!!

Brilliant fishing, congratulations on a terrific specimen and massive kudos on returning the old girl:punk: I hope she goes on to make loads more bass which find their way onto your line.....well done mate!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most people thought I was mad for putting it back but they don't understand fishing. Would love to have known the weight though

·
Registered
25,140 Posts
Most people thought I was mad for putting it back but they don't understand fishing. Would love to have known the weight though
A tidy fish and it hopefully is the start of things to come,As for the breeding side of things,bet its easier to get a 18yr old woman pregnant than a 55yr old granny,i dont buy the big female(quoted as being years old) being able to carry on saving the sacred bass stocks more than a well conditioned 4lb female bass.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I know photo's can be deceptive, but if your original pb was 7lb, I think you would have been dissapointed if you had weighed it. Looking at it's length compared to your rod and reel I would be very surprised if it had made 7lb as it also looks quite slim.

Not taking anything away from it still be a very nice fish though, especially on plugging gear, so well done.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
i agree
c fish a younger female would be more productive, but a cracking fish nevertheless well done

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It was definitely over 7lb. The photo doesn't show how fat it actually was. Just holding it I was surprised by the weight

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,707 Posts
It was definitely over 7lb. The photo doesn't show how fat it actually was. Just holding it I was surprised by the weight
No expert mate , but i would have given you a near eight pounder from that , just looking at the gap , between the top 2 fins ,
take a look at 6/7 pounders , gap is close .

Is there any chance of measuring your rod against the photo ,
i know it wont be exact , but it wont be a million miles away , length is a good guide for weight , never miles out imho , no matter what people say , i have caught a fair few good bass , and the bass tape has never been more than 5 ounces out , on any fish i have weighed after measuring it . (unless a very thin , spent fish ) That one is not .

But gap alone mate , its a good fish :punk:

Well done for putting her back .

Big female bass , still Give way way way more fertile eggs , than a smaller 4 pounder . FACT . Its the amount they can carry .
There is not a great survival rate , on every hundred thousand young
More produced , more survive , not rocket science:headhurt:
Even the biggest oldest girls , 16/17 pounders , produce young, no problem ,
there fish , not humans , cant even compare the two , in any way shape or form . (55 year old grannys , LMAO )

When huge nets of fish are caught, its normally 20 tons of big breeding females , normally doubles , cause there all found together :wallbash:

So respect for returning a fish , that will give 3 to four times more young back, than a 3/4 pounder :punk:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts