World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys ,, I was looking at getting a new lead mould I currently been using the Gemini mould .. I was thinking of getting the namix bullet gx mould but think its a bit expensive just to make a few leads ... I know these and uk hooks moulds are the best but the price is bit more than I want to pay .. I found a dca tournemnt mould on ebay for £20 with postage comes with 100 grip wires , 50 tails and rollers . I'm not guna be making huge amounts of leads so thought this would be ideal for me .. Has anyone used these before & are they any good for the money ?.. I know you get what you pay for but my Gemini one was cheap and has served me well for a number of years now..
Any help would be much appreciated many thanks Welshangler :)

·
Registered
620 Posts
I have a dca mould its not to bad but working the wires to the right shape is a little frustrating

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info mate ,, I think I'm guna order one not 100% yet tho lol .. They look tidy and the leads look okay just wasn't too Shure if the moulds were off any quality ,, iv ready that cheap moulds have a tendency to overheat quick and crack .. Is it worth me buying one or paying the extra for a quality mould the namix ones ..

·
Registered
620 Posts
to be honest ive stopped using the dca and I use a Gemini one as its a lot more versatile

·
Registered
15,300 Posts
Hi Welshangler, if you are fed up with the Gemini mould, and dont mind a bit of DIY, you can make a great breakaway type mould out of it, here are a couple of pictures of the leads made from the mould, and adapted mould itself.

The pictures are pretty self explanatory, the sinker wire sits in a disc of steel that I cut from a bolt, centrally drilled and then cut across to allow the wire to sit in the middle.

The sinkers themselves stick to the seabed like sh .... i .... t to a blanket, I think flat back helps , but the grip,wires unclip and release very easily, they fly well too. The grooves for the grip wires to locate in are made using a cold chisel, since making the prototype, I now have the grooves running the full length of the sinker, I use a Brick bolster chisel to make the grooves.

Once the sinker has been adapted, you can still use it for Gemini leads, although I never bother, Gemini make some good bits and bobs, but buying a lead mould, and then having to buy the plastic bits and custom sinker wires as aftermarket parts isnt for me ( and tbh I dont think they are up to much anyway , they get sand in the plastic grooves, dont grip so well, in fact come unclipped too easily, etc etc..)

Dave

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just thought It would be cheaper than using the Gemini mould ,, It costs me £6 -£7 to make 10 Gemini leads when I could just buy the tails ect won't cost much more than £10 and make 50 leads .. Is it easy to the dca mould ?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot Dave ,, you have done a great job there with the Gemini mould that's deffinetly something to think about and look into .. Great bit of info and pictures are brill cheers mate ..

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
If you go into google and type in lead moulds you get a few sites where you can buy from and there cheaper than fleebay
Bert(old yin)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Bert ,, iv had a good look on the internet but still none the wiser lol .. All the moulds pretty much look the same to me and can't find any cheaper than ebay .. Saying that tho iv done a bit of research on these cheap copies from ebay and a few people have said there crap ,, so I'm depating on just spending the extra and getting a namix one. Realy don't know want too tho as I'm not guna be making them by the hundreds ,, the odd 10 or 20 here and there and that will do me .. If anyone has bought one of these cheap moulds from ebay could you please let me know if there worth spending money on.. I don't want to buy it and lead comes pouring through the sides or the leads just look rubbish lol .. I know you get what you pay for but realy don't want to go wasting my money lol ...
Thanks again Welshangler

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Hi mate,I'd agree and get the namix.if your into using baitclips then get the phoenix clip system too,best clip system on the market.. I'd put my life on it that the one your looking at on ebay is a dca copy,so after a while it will bend and buckle and you will have molten metal coming out..the original dca were quality,the copys are ****..as a fellow welshman speak to jason,he's a sound guy,tell him what you want and because he actully makes the moulds he can make them to your requirement..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks a lot guys after reading your comments and doing some more research guna order the namix gx mould ,, may As well spend a little extra and get something that will last for years and is good quality .. Just a quick question what's the best tails to buy the short or long ones ?.. And what length wire 7 or 6 inch.. Also do you need rollers for these leads ?..
Thanks Welsh angler

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
I prefer 7" wires and don't use rollers on my namix, short tailswith no bait clip but try getting stainless as the steel ones will rot away,

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheers Meanstreak,, I was guna get the short ones without bait clip as I use imps on most of my rigs .. I'm guna order 7 inch and 6 inch to try both out and see what I prefer ,, how do you find bending the wires into place ?..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We're is the best place to buy the tails & wires ?.. All the tails on ebay seem to be mild steel are these any good or do they rust quick ?.. Apologise for all the questions quys but I would rather take the time and ask people who have used these leads before ect than just buying rubbish and wasting money lol ..
Thanks Welshangler :)

·
Registered
946 Posts
i got 1 of the dca copys it was meant to be a 6oz mould the weights come out at 5.2 the casting was so bad i had to do alot of work on it to make it safe to use. the hole for the wires did not line up and the hole for the eyes was far to small. if i had tried to use it right out of the box lead would have just ran right threw as the mould would not fit together there was easily.5-1mm of gap in some places. my advice is to save for a good mould. the ajusi moulds are quite good for the money. uk hooks do stainless eyes. i belive namix make there own eyes to fit there moulds.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
a friend of mine makes leads for a living and has had loads of copies offered to him. they're absolute rubbish, so be careful what your buying.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts