World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my plugs and spinning gear sorted thanks-every-one....:notworthy

What about deadbaiting (i.e) Lb of line or mainline strength, Hook sizes/types + Rigs etc..

The cemi circle hook looks good but what size do i need ?

I plan to dabble with floats etc, I use 15 LB mono as a rule....LL.
:clap2:

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Nope .. I would unlearn most of the techniques you use from these shores. The fish you might run into are stronger, faster and potentially heavier, than anything in these waters, and size 2 aberdeens on a 15lb snood won't hold a big jack. I use strong carp hooks for everything up to size 2, Mustad Siluros (or Mustad big game hooks) for 2-6/0, and Owners for the really heavy stuff. I'd also take some 14s for livebait. Keep everything simple, take great care with knots and crimps, and go as heavy as possible; there's nothing sporting about a fish trailing 40 yards of 10lb line.
As I said, jacks of up to 40lb patrol the gutter less than 30 yards from the shore and if you hook one (I used small live threadfins, which live right on the very edge of the surf - literally around your feet) it's a fight you won't forget. If you lose one because of weak tackle ... well, you won't forget that either. I used a running ledger: 1oz ball weight, 20lb mainline, 10ft heavy spinning rod and Big Baitrunner, 4/0 Siluro and a 50lb trace of 49-strand wire - very flexible. The jacks hit the bait hard and run, then stop to turn the bait; that's when to strike.

In Playacar from the shore…………

…………..There's also bonefish in the shallows and I'd consider bringing some carp hooks and 1oz ball-weights to rig a running ledger. Crab, shrimp, squid or fish-strip will do for bait. A 4lb bonefish on a light spinning rod is one hell of an experience.
Hi Lure Lobber
If I could pick up on a couple of Mark’s observations from the other thread in the Lure section. Essentially Jacks and Bonefish represent two different parts of the spectrum in terms of bait fishing techniques.

Mark’s preference, and mine, for Jacks would be livebait, but they will take dead fish from the bottom. Thread deadbaits with their head down. Just use elasticated thread to secure its tail to the trace and ensure that the hook’s point – a ‘J’ or circle – is ‘proud’ of the bait.

What to catch the baits on? Either as Mark suggested size 14 freshwater hooks or the tiny sabiki rigs.

As for Bonefish a light spin rod matched to either 8 or 10lb line should suffice. And it’s sight casting for them. If I’m bait fishing then I prefer to use either freshwater split shot or a small jig – 1/8 or 1/4 ounce – for casting weight. (Here’s an example of a Bonefish jig - http://www.hookuplures.com/14_bonefish_jigs.htm . You may be able to source them in the UK from somewhere like Harris or Veals.) If I’m using hooks rather than a jig then I tend to use bait holder hooks – 4s or 6s. Bonefish can be incredibly spooky, but have excellent eyesight. So don’t cast too close to them – relying on that visual or scent stimuli to attract. They will pick up stationary baits but for preference I tend to just move it slightly, puffing up sand, to initially attract their attention. Importantly, and unlike fishing for the Jacks, don’t set your drag too heavy – they’ll spook and run off at tremendous speed.
Dave

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
http://i146[IMG]http://i146.photobucket[IMG]http://i146.photobucket

Heres the pics, Thanks again Dave, Mark and every-one else....

It was amazing, But you know what the sea was ruff at times...
Some people said use a 1 oz weight...Not good when i was there though,
Sea was very ruff just like dover at times and the lead would be washed
up at my feet within minutes, So i decided to test some home
grown methods and they worked when plugs and lures failed, I used a 3 hook flapper with size 2's just
like normal and it worked, Some people even said use wire
traces at all times which i didn't have time to manage at the last minute.
I did lose about three hooks in
two weeks thats it. Many people said use a fast
retrieve on the plugs/Lures but
i had no luck there either, You can do what you do at home but just
need to adapt to the environment slightly, By that i mean be able to replace
hooks, The fishing in playa car is the best i have ever known, I could fish as
i wanted (I.e) over rocks, Shallow water/Deep water, I had an endless
supply of soft and hermit crab in the rocks while iguanas and geckos
where behind me (Not that i used lizards for bait !!) I did change to
50lb mainline as one dexter wedge was
lost to what i can only describe as may-be a 4-5 foot bull shark !!
Blinding fishing...Think the fish in the pics are a bone fish (Second pic, Six year olds first fish beached on his own, I am so proud !! Blue
jack (Pic 1) and a trigger fish (Caught on a improvised bottle float/Paternoster !!) ? Please correct me
if wrong.....All in all very good advice some of which i couldn't react
to in time but so very much appreciated, Will definatley try more
suggestions and tips in Cuba ...Two years from now, Next year is greece for me !!...:clap3:

Regards all...LL.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi mate, where did you stay ?

I go quite often. Stayed in Cancun, Xcaret and in the north in Cabo Catoche. I love it there,fishing is superb.

Did you get out on a skiff for the day in the mangroves?

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Nice one matey ... I'll bet the little 'un had fun playing those bonefish! Never thought I'd see bones on a flapper like that but it just goes to show! The third fish looks something like a cowfish or puffer ... cows are good to eat and puffers can be horribly toxic, so the fact you're alive and posting suggests you put it back!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice one matey ... I'll bet the little 'un had fun playing those bonefish! Never thought I'd see bones on a flapper like that but it just goes to show! The third fish looks something like a cowfish or puffer ... cows are good to eat and puffers can be horribly toxic, so the fact you're alive and posting suggests you put it back!
Cheers mate, Yes the bonefish love squid on a 3 hook flapper...
Bait elastic is a must though as the smaller mouthed fish rip the bait off, I noticed that with bait elastic they get annoyed and take whole mouthfulls hence hook easier........
As for that cow fish i reckon your spot on there, The locals (Waiters) Refered to that one as a bullfish.....So either way...!!
I went spinning with a german guy who reckoned it was a trigger fish....??
It wasn't like skin on that mother more like shell, I was told it is very bad eating, It had a mad set of teeth on it...Colgate kid !! Any ideas of weight from any one ?? Definately felt like a double figure one ??

Points i learned where -Jacks take plugs mostly in the early morning.

Bonefish take squid baits at all times.

Go and find some rocks for numerous soft crab and hermit crab baits.

Float fish rocks you won't believe the fights you get.

Take spare snood line and hooks, You can use what you use at home just be prepared to replace it !

As for the other guy that replied (Hi !!) I stayed in playa car.....I am planning on cuba next, I can't imagine fishing can get any better than the caribbean now.....Thanks all...LL...

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Hi Lure Lobber
Well Done! And certainly your son looks to have enjoyed himself as well.

To think that purists, grown men, will spend a fortune targeting Bonefish – fish that have a ‘cult’ following - on fly gear! Like Mark that’s the first time I’ve heard of them coming on a three hook flapper rig. But it works! I recall as well a friend of mine saw natives catching big ones on handlines, with bolts for weights, in Mozambique.

As to the other fish the first is a small Crevalle Jack. But the last, a bit like Mark………….um. Beats me! You mentioned the ‘teeth’. So were they fused together?

Pufferfish, when not inflated, tend to be ‘flatter’ in profile and have (often) ‘spiky’ skins and, other than their pectorals, have quite small fins. Then Cowfish, or as the locals referred to them as ‘Bullfish’? Although it’s got that classic steep ‘forehead’ they’re normally characterised by having small, rudimentary ‘horns’. I guess it could be some species of Triggerfish, as the German gentleman suggested. But one of the ‘give aways’ would be the sharp spine(s) in front of the Dorsal fin. Can’t really see from the image with the sand obscuring its Dorsal.

Perhaps it might be worth exploring a site like http://www.fishbase.org/search.php? That’s fairly comprehensive in terms of species identification.
Dave

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Lure Lobber
Well Done! And certainly your son looks to have enjoyed himself as well.

To think that purists, grown men, will spend a fortune targeting Bonefish – fish that have a ‘cult’ following - on fly gear! Like Mark that’s the first time I’ve heard of them coming on a three hook flapper rig. But it works! I recall as well a friend of mine saw natives catching big ones on handlines, with bolts for weights, in Mozambique.

As to the other fish the first is a small Crevalle Jack. But the last, a bit like Mark………….um. Beats me! You mentioned the ‘teeth’. So were they fused together?

Pufferfish, when not inflated, tend to be ‘flatter’ in profile and have (often) ‘spiky’ skins and, other than their pectorals, have quite small fins. Then Cowfish, or as the locals referred to them as ‘Bullfish’? Although it’s got that classic steep ‘forehead’ they’re normally characterised by having small, rudimentary ‘horns’. I guess it could be some species of Triggerfish, as the German gentleman suggested. But one of the ‘give aways’ would be the sharp spine(s) in front of the Dorsal fin. Can’t really see from the image with the sand obscuring its Dorsal.

Perhaps it might be worth exploring a site like http://www.fishbase.org/search.php? That’s fairly comprehensive in terms of species identification.
Dave
Thanks Dave,

I am chuffed to learn that about the bone fish, I am so proud of my son Alex,
I must of bagged about 10 of them, The squid was very good from the hotel big chunky pieces....
I will check out that link much appreciated, I went snorkelling many times and there are so many fish in my head i would like to put a name to.

Regards...LL.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Heres another piccy Dave + Mark, might be easier to see the fin and identify, I have looked at all the trigger fish on that link thanks, Doesn't look like any match, One of the cow fish on there looks very similar though ?

Any ideas please ? Col....

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would any-one be able to estimate a weight in pounds on this bad boy please ?? I must admit to straining for that piccy and am sure its a double figure fish.....Help ??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts