World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a walk down Llangennith this afternoon and the beach was littered with dead birds or to be more precise, dead gillimots and razorbills. Mostly razorbills.
When I say littered i counted about 30 from the path to 3 quarters of the way to bury Holmes as thats as far as I walked before turning back.
Upon getting home I told my uncle, he fished swansea beach this morning and also noticed a couple of dead birds. Also my brother-in-law surfed Langland this afternoon and said there was a few dead down there.

Whats killing them and why. Razorbills are apparently not even seen this time of year on our coast.

image.jpg

·
Registered
10,101 Posts
Just a guess that they were weak from not been feeding well in the stormy weather and maybe got a pounding in the surf where food was available .

I think palm oil spills got a mention on the news as well so it may be involved.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I also walked Llangennith on Monday afternoon, from Hillend to Rhossilli and back, I also saw many dead gillimots and razorbills, in all there must have been over 20. I put it to the extreme gales we have been experiencing, in these conditions.

·
Registered
14,657 Posts
Just a thought. Have you passed this information onto the RSPB ? They would be concerned about so many fatalities and if pollution is involved might well take action if they can.

·
Premium Member
38,484 Posts
The storms have killed thousands of sea birds and they are being washed up on most coast lines around the UK. Very sad nature can be very violent at times.

·
Registered
10,101 Posts
I would think that the birds mentioned get most of their fresh water from their food so they may also be suffering from dehydration.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The storms have killed thousands of sea birds and they are being washed up on most coast lines around the UK. Very sad nature can be very violent at times.
I walked full length of Cefn Sedan yesterday beach littered with dead razorbills and thousand's of clams, I would have thought this is down to the storms unfortunate but its nature.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Last week when we were out on Oystercat, they were a real pain, flying in between lines off the stern trying to pick up any discarded hook baits, & even trying to get the bait as it was being lowered. A couple of times they nearly got clobbered by the weight as they attempted to pinch the bait. Poor things must be starving especially now recycling has ended the rubbish tip scavenging.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
There was also a report of a tanker/ferry that lost a lot of waste / oil which has caused a lot of birds to die. But this was a couple if weeks back .

Pretty sad sight to see especially for children, people should be out cleaning the beaches.

Andrew

·
Sole Man!
1,653 Posts
there was a magazine article on the news at chesil a few weeks back which basically said that these birds are dying of exhaustion from constant battling of the winds & being unable to feed. Part of the wonderful cycle of life.
brolly

·
Registered
25,001 Posts
there was a magazine article on the news at chesil a few weeks back which basically said that these birds are dying of exhaustion from constant battling of the winds & being unable to feed. Part of the wonderful cycle of life.
brolly
Like brolly says,they cant feed properly.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
load down Horton about 2 weeks ago

·
Registered
120 Posts
Walked to Burry Holmes from Hillend on Saturday - 50+ dead razorbills, couple of cormorants and even a puffin!! There was all manner of strange stuff washed up and the normally sandy beach was absolutely littered with rocks - unrecognisable to me at low water. Wondered if the stones were exposed due to shifting sand or if they'd been washed back from the high water line?
Logic tells me that these birds were starving/de-hydrated and lost the struggle. Pity. Just reminded me of who is really in charge I suppose.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts