World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the lower deck yesterday. It had been closed during the week due to bad weather, but had reopened for the weekend. The far left hand side is still shut due to a few boards being up.

Fished from 8.30am to 2pm (HT 2.00). Between me and my mate we had 5 doggies, a few whiting, and a pout. Bait was rag, squid, crab. Rigs were anything we had left and rustle up due to losing pretty much every rig I had in my box.

It got increasingly busier as the morning got on, and the main part of the peir was heaving. Like maggots on a corpse. Lines everywhere. It was pretty busy on the bottom deck, but bearable. We gave up at 2, due to having no tackle left in our boxes. As the tide pushed through stronger during the morning it seemed impossible to avoid snags. All we could hear around us was the unmistakeable sound of mono singing at breaking point and the then the inevitable "crack".
We and everyone else seemed to be losing tackle on every other cast.

Will stick to the beach next time. We did have a look a Walmer, but my mate, who was driving, fancied the pier. Not sure he'll be so keen next time.

·
Registered
70 Posts
yes i no mate, deal is my home town and i dont fish the pier any more for that reason. the last few trips i had on there resulted in loads of lost tackle and it was packed. i just fish the beachs i catch more and i dont have to pay to fish it. think the pier needs to be dragged with a trawler like thay did on folkestone pier years ago, it should make it a better place to fish.

·
Registered
70 Posts
yer give it a go mate, anywhere form kingsdown to sandwich bay, and some marks fish better at low tide and some at high so theres always somewhere to fish. i think deal has one of the best stretches of beach cos of that.:)

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
many years ago I was talking to a chap on Admiralty pier... he said local divers once went along the wall at slack tide collecting weights, line, rods etc and had to make trips back to unload as there was such a weight of lost stuff the boat was becoming overloaded.
When we got bored at Deal pier ( which could be often) we used to pull stuff out using a small grapple (fixed wire lead) on a length of crab-line type string, good cheap leads, swivels etc !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts