World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming home this afternoon about 4PM on a Dover Charter boat. About a mile off of the western entrance. Easterly wind starting to pick up, sea getting sloppy, the ebb tide just starting to run (tide had been running quite hard all day). Spotted something bright orange about a quarter of a mile away in the trough of the waves. So we go to investigate. Turned out to be 3 Chinese in a 9 ft open inflatable. Two wearing thin orange jackets. No life jackets !!!!!!!!!! all were fishing. One trying to start a tiny outboard which seemed dead.

Spoke to them, they pointed to Shaky beach as their launching point. It was explained to them that there was no way they were going to get ashore once the tide came through. They stated they would row !!!! They were quite happy to carry on fishing & declined any assistance from us. I was totally shocked as the craft was not seaworthy and would never be able to punch into the ebb tide. We called Dover Port who sent out the harbour launch.

The craft was not visible a few hundred yards away, only saw it due to the orange jackets. Had we missed seeing it then who knows !!!!!!!!!!!

If this kind of thing carries on then it is only time before something very bad takes place.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Thats where all the bodies get washed up... quite a good bass mark from what i hear :roll1:

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Coming home this afternoon about 4PM on a Dover Charter boat. About a mile off of the western entrance. Easterly wind starting to pick up, sea getting sloppy, the ebb tide just starting to run (tide had been running quite hard all day). Spotted something bright orange about a quarter of a mile away in the trough of the waves. So we go to investigate. Turned out to be 3 Chinese in a 9 ft open inflatable. Two wearing thin orange jackets. No life jackets !!!!!!!!!! all were fishing. One trying to start a tiny outboard which seemed dead.

Spoke to them, they pointed to Shaky beach as their launching point. It was explained to them that there was no way they were going to get ashore once the tide came through. They stated they would row !!!! They were quite happy to carry on fishing & declined any assistance from us. I was totally shocked as the craft was not seaworthy and would never be able to punch into the ebb tide. We called Dover Port who sent out the harbour launch.

The craft was not visible a few hundred yards away, only saw it due to the orange jackets. Had we missed seeing it then who knows !!!!!!!!!!!

If this kind of thing carries on then it is only time before something very bad takes place.
Idiots like that give us safe inflatable boaters a bad name,****ing idiots

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just read the thread about a Kayak rescue by Ramsgate lifeboat on this forum. I can see something bad happening with a lot more small angling craft taking to the seas. I just urge all users to check, weather, tides & to use some common sense.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts