World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the boots generally advertised as suitable for rocky areas are generally rubbish, they are not stiff enough, dont protec the ankles, you can slip on weed, especially as if the weed is still wet at low water and they dont last long if your feet are in water.

I have an pair of army boots I bought from army and navy stores a few years back, these are pretty good but you cant stand in the water for long, I could try waders but these will not stand up to the rough rocks etc.

Any ideas?

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,214 Posts
You can get army boots with a Gore-tex lining. They will keep your feet dry but you'll still need to treat the leather. Nik Wax is good, waterproofs the leather as well.

I know what you mean though - the number of times I've "gone flying" in my wellies I should have learned my lesson by now.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was fishing yetserday, following the tide out on weedy ledges, nearly broke my ankle, boots were strong enough,soles were just not gripping.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Try some hiking boots as these are generally well made which offer good grip an good support with the more expensive ones being waterproof.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont think they are designed to scratch and scrape over jagged rocks and ledges, stand on slippy weed and have to deal with salt water.

Commando Boots or surplus army boots are the buisness, just need to develop a pair with good grip.

There are good boots for hiking you can get as u say but some of em seem more concerned with fasion than good old fashioned long lasting.

The police used to get issued with solid boots, I think these were paratrooper boots anyway.

·
Registered
210 Posts
on rocks, u cant beat a pair of trainers

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
i do a lot of walking and scrambling about on wet rock and i can tell you the last thing you want to do is buy any PETER STORM foot wear for rock hopping as in my opinion they are bloody dangerous (that is only my opinion) i spent 8 years wearing boots of one sort or another and would never buy anything with the equivelent of an ice rink for a sole. and yes bluebeard they were paras boots :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would recomend skee-tex field boots as they are waterproof up to about 18 inches, they are comfortable and they have got good grip.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The best grip on ANY slippery surface is from the Snowbee studded Field boot - the spikes give phenomenal grip.

It's basically a stiff welly - so ankle support is not great but it is 100% waterproof and worth getting for the grip alone - used it on all trypes of wet seaweed, rocks and granite.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi all,
I would personally recommend a felt sole. I have some waders that I have worn to pull a boat up a slip way that was covered in algae. The grip was excellent.

F

·
0 Posts
Bluebeard said:
have bought some screw in studs from veals, will screw em into my army boots
Have already done that. One of the best things i have done. Good for weed covered rocks! Although i must point out mine aren't pongo boots. Only the best airforce boots for me lmao :p

·
Registered
568 Posts
Here is a weird tip for you all....

As well know, grip on dry rocks is not a problem, it's only when they get wet that it turns into an ice rink. I cut the arms off an old wooly jumper. If it rains when I am out on the rocks then the cut off sleeves are pulled over the boots and secured with string. Result = looks well silly, but offers perfect grip. The sleeves dont last very long (a hanfull of trips) as they quickly get worn out, but they will help you get safely off rocks if you get caught out by rain.

F

·
0 Posts
Bluebeard said:
What make are these boots mate, where did u get them?
Issued to me by the Royal Air Force's finest stackers (storepersons). :cool:

Basically normal CS95 boots. Don't know who makes them but they will be in many surplus stores.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts