World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, any advice for me? I'm after a new rod to use in a rock kelpy area, my old rod is a useless piece of rubbish, bought in 98 when i knew no better, as part of a reel./rod combo. I want something fairly forgiving, yet fairly cheap, c. £35-55. I know I won't get a world beater for that, but I'm after value.
Cheers,
Andy

·
Registered
66 Posts
Try looking at the Ron Thompson rods as these seem to be in your price range, a friend of mine has one and he's quite happy with it though I'm not sure how much he paid or what model it is.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear.

The "Cheap" rock rod that most people rave about is the Ron Thomson Axcellerator but this comes in at a bargain £99. A lot of anglers rate this against other famous brands selling at £200 to £300.

Late last year Penn were selling off their Extreme series of rods at half price and the rock rod in that range the "Nor'easter" was well liked but even at half price it is still going to be out of your price range if you could find one. The replacement is called the Surfblaster "Roughstuff" but that is also well over your budget.

For rock fishing (Fishing from rocks, into rocks and kelp) you ideally want a stiff rod so you can try and bully the gear out of the weed by using the bend in the rod rather than just tipping the rod over and pulling straight out (You will still have to do this at times) and good rods that can cope well with this, and cast well and still show bites don't tend to come cheap.

I believe the Fladden Warbird is supposed to be tough and a reasonable buy so could be worth a look.

But in reality £35 isn't going to get you a quality rough ground rod.

Bob

·
Registered
38 Posts
You had posted while I was typing. If you can get the AXELLERATOR from Ebay for under £30 and it isn't broken you will have got your self a bargain.

Bob

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Some of the more expensive shakespeare are ok but I would go to a decnt local tackle shop, I saw a greys the other day, second hand 60 quid, a mixed ground rod.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in Shropshire, so the local dealers don't really stock much sea stuff. I'll watch ebay. My problem is I don't really know what's good value and what isn't.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I am a fixed spool user, now getting into multipliers.

However I would suggest you buy a ron thompson as suggested, first or second hand, a mate of mine has one, cost him under 100 but worth every penny he says, zipplex, conoflex etc are no better than what he has for the price.

I am sure veals were selling em for 99 , if not try e bay, if the rt is advertised for 60 or so i would get it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
shakespeare have some prety good rods for that sort of price. the MG1000 is worth a look good fishing rod £29 you cant be bad to that 4-6oz casting weight.
another good rod is the odessa its £68 4-8oz casting weight one hell of a good fishing rod at that price. go down to your fishing shop and have a word with the boss do what i always do if you see something you fancy just ask whats the best price you could do on that rod chance your arm after all the worst thing he could say is that is the best. thats it :) well i hope that helps you

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies guys. Hate to sound ignorant, but I assume the Ron thompson will be rung for multipliers?

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
not always,,they do both!! ;)

ive had problems with the reel seats on both my ron thompsons..(jammed)

I seriously recommend a shakespear Odessa or Summit..both made for either fixed or multi,,

People laff at shakespear,,,but trying out 4 "other" manufacturers,in the same price range,,they didnt come close.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I am a fixed spool fella , slowly getting into multis.

I like the odessa, I would say good at the price, ok for mixed ground, a bit too soft for the big tides and rough.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers guys, all good, keep em coming. Someone else has suggested one of these 3lb tc carp rods as a cheap compromise, any views?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1495&item=7157992258&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1495&item=7157992258&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Obviously for £27 to £60 it won't be a classic, but how would it stand up to others in the under fifty quid range? Will it be sturdy enough? Leaning towards an axcellerator at the mo I think

·
Registered
199 Posts
dachshund said:
Hi, any advice for me? I'm after a new rod to use in a rock kelpy area, my old rod is a useless piece of rubbish, bought in 98 when i knew no better, as part of a reel./rod combo. I want something fairly forgiving, yet fairly cheap, c. £35-55. I know I won't get a world beater for that, but I'm after value.
Cheers,
Andy

why not look at the leeda range of rods? quality looks ok,some are graphite, how they perform i have no idea but for about £35ish u cant go wrong.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Shakespeare Mentor--£35 of fishing bliss, maybe not but it is a good solid rod also have a look at some of the combo deals available I've got a penn Devil Stick 13' 3 piece and it's been fine except I had to replace the rings after I dropped it onto rocks £49.99 with a fixed spool reel-the reel lasted about 9 months and now needs a new spring for the anti reverse but hey you get what you pay for also it's worth checking out 2nd hand rods on E-bay

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think he already has done the Ebay route. He posted a link for a RT axellorator and the price shot up almost straight away (I wonder why).

Lesson 1

If you find a bargain on Ebay, keep it to yourself ;-)

Bob

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep, lesson learned. Am trying for an axellerator, all the reviews are extremely positive. But am going fishing this Thursday, and may not be able to get hold of one by then, so may invest in a cheap cheap Ron Thompson Superior, which I can later use as a backup rod.

Thanks for all the help fellas,
Andy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts