World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the cod are still around. Nothing too exciting like end of season doublers but a few decent fish.

To be honest i think both me and my dad were expecting pretty much nothing. Wasnt too happy with the wind, but knew we'd get shelter hopefully. Found our way down to our favourite marks at Arbroath Cliffs. Wind wasnt too bad and certainly quite sheltered down on the rocks. Sea was relatively calm but nice and coloured. Excellent conditions for this mark, calmish with a bit of movement. Fished from 4 - 9pm with squid and monster lug.

First bite came a couple of cast into the session. Short quick rattle but missed it. But at least there were some fish about. First fish was a coalie to me........oh no not one of those nights!!

But it wasnt, the cod eventually turned up. Nice fish about 2.7lb to my dad. Had a few other missed bites until i managed to hook into a really decent bite. Cracking fight on the way in, really showing itself up. This mark is littered with ledges close in and the fish snagged about 20 yards out. Felt the fish knocking away and in my haste i put far to much pressure on it and snapped my hook snood. Felt like a nice fish too.

For the next 2 hours the fishing was pretty good. Bites coming quite frequently. First hooked a decent fish at 3lb that suddenly went really heavy half way in. Doubler i thought.......no i'd just crossed my dads line and was struggling with his snag!! Next 2 fish to me were nice 4lbers. Quality fight, really nodding right up to the rocks diving for every snag. Probably the best fighting fish of the season, they were that strong. I ended up with another 2 small fish to finish the session. My dad landed another fish at 2.7lb and another 2 smaller cod.

Couple of missed bites and a few fish lost in the snags and 5 decent fish landed with a few smaller ones for a bonus. All in all a decent day out considering it was March.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Well done that man. Decent wee sesh for the time of year. Certainly better than your extreme fishing East Coast style - from a fortnight ago. I think Im getting over it now - ventured outside for the first time the other day - was OK till a gust of wind hit me and I had flashbacks. The wife says Ive stopped screaming in my sleep so hopefully maybe by mid May I could break myself in and try a spot of flounder fishing from a beach LOL. Well done and nice pictures will get in touch with you in the summer.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Nice session well done Marty, top report n pic's.
Neal
The Skink

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well done them men:clap3: . Monster lug:crazy: are they frozen ? or do you have to wrestle them onto the hooks :ahhh:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Well done Martin, good mark that huh :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :secret:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One of the 4lb fish had roe in it the other looked as if it had just spawned? Really quite skinny, no roe and judging by the length could have been maybe 5lb or just over. (just like the 17lber from the 1st norway trip, lobsterkid).

All of the fish had empty stomachs although one coughed up a heap of pipefish. New pollack mark for the summer lobsterkid!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts