World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all i was just wondering if anybody can give me any tips on deep spinning for pollack. i want to try and deep spin a whole sandeel. wat sort of rig would i have to use?? wat sort of casting weight will i need to use?? i am going to try it at st donats which is a bit snaggy at times?? so any help would be great or even any good marks to try??? thanks all :g::g:

·
Registered
Century Kompressor Super Sports, Penn Mags, Sloshes
3,584 Posts
hi all i was just wondering if anybody can give me any tips on deep spinning for pollack. i want to try and deep spin a whole sandeel. wat sort of rig would i have to use?? wat sort of casting weight will i need to use?? i am going to try it at st donats which is a bit snaggy at times?? so any help would be great or even any good marks to try??? thanks all :g::g:
how about this:

st.donats is worth a go when the tide is coming in as there is a nice surf that starts running.........

best of luck m8,

steffyenck.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers steffy mate great info again. will make sum of those rigs up kno mate. cheers.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
ye jsut use a running ledger, 2/0 hook, 20lb snoods. 3oz lead, bass rod, 15lb mainline. no need for the extra bead and swivels just more to loose. fish tight to the bottom, if uoi dont loose gear, you aint fishing it right!

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Another option is using the same rig that steffy has put up but use a golf ball with a hole drilled through the middle of it...allows your gear to drop slower to the bottom, allowing you to count how deep it is and then on subsequent casts start your retrieve at the depth you want....i've also found that the golf ball will not snag easily and acts as an attractant!!

john

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the response guys. just a question on the golf ball post wat about your casting weight then is it just the weight of the golf ball????? thanks again guys.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
thanks for all the response guys. just a question on the golf ball post wat about your casting weight then is it just the weight of the golf ball????? thanks again guys.

you got it.
a golf ball is probably in the region of about 2ozs so you can get some good distance....
i try and use about 5 foot hooklength to either a redgill or frozen sandeel.

good luck

john

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
with the golf ball i would definately go for 'Titleist' or 'Top Flite' but stay away from the lesser known makes, they tend to slice on the cast on don't quite get the distance needed, LOL!!!

I will try that, got about 100 balls left cos I haven't played for years coz of the fishing.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
how about this:

st.donats is worth a go when the tide is coming in as there is a nice surf that starts running.........

best of luck m8,

steffyenck.
i use the same idea.

but.....

i have the small traces ready made. i use a clip at the top instead of the swivel.

i use 20lb braid mainline with a small swivel on it. just clip the rig to it and your away. i use a 15lb hooklength. if you do get snagged you only loose the hook. i have my own mould that makes a pencil lead in 4 different sizes, also snags less.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
try a bubble float in place of the lead fill the float to near the top with water that`ll keep you clear of the snags and if you get snagged release a bit of line and it should float free threequarters full equals two ozs

1 - 18 of 18 Posts