1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the moment im using a 1lb 1/4 carp rod .....or
a 50gr spinning rod......they both seem under gunned
for serious rock action.....ie lifting fish to clear ledges..etc
Any suggestions on rods built for the purpose up to £100 .

Ive seen it suggested to use a standard beach 2/5oz rod
but I dont fancy weilding one all day.

cheers
Gaz :)

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
At the moment im using a 1lb 1/4 carp rod .....or
a 50gr spinning rod......they both seem under gunned
for serious rock action.....ie lifting fish to clear ledges..etc
Any suggestions on rods built for the purpose up to £100 .

Ive seen it suggested to use a standard beach 2/5oz rod
but I dont fancy weilding one all day.

cheers
Greys BZE 12ft 6

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
i recently got 2 rods , with spinning and float fishing in mind. purchased a
Greys 13 ft prodigy 3.5tc carp rod. ( which i think will be fine for both )
and tried it for a first time today spinning, its a decent rod and im pretty sure its will lift a good sized fish from the water no probs.
( i got snagged today and decided too give it a good test lol..felt fine , alot better than i expected. )
i would say if using for good few hours im sure the arms will feel it though.

another rod i got too specifically spin with was a cheaper Shakespeare Odessa Bass rod, around £50 quid..and seems light and fairly strong ,easily spin with it all day,and you can get a fair cast with it too ,

worth considering these in my opinion.

Andy.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
i recently got 2 rods , with spinning and float fishing in mind. purchased a
Greys 13 ft prodigy 3.5tc carp rod. ( which i think will be fine for both )
and tried it for a first time today spinning, its a decent rod and im pretty sure its will lift a good sized fish from the water no probs.
( i got snagged today and decided too give it a good test lol..felt fine , alot better than i expected. )
i would say if using for good few hours im sure the arms will feel it though.

another rod i got too specifically spin with was a cheaper Shakespeare Odessa Bass rod, around £50 quid..and seems light and fairly strong ,easily spin with it all day,and you can get a fair cast with it too ,

worth considering these in my opinion.

Andy.

andy...you have to remember that carp rods are made to handle fish that are usually much bigger than anything else you would expect to catch from the beach.
A 3.5TC rod will pull pretty much anything in....dont be afraid of really bending into the blank....that's what they were made for

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I've got a Shimano Hyperloop Bass rod, excellant all rounder for under £50, light with a good action, can spin all day with it and it is also very good fishing with baits, bite detection is superb and it can cast as well. Good with Multi or F/spool.

·
Registered
11,210 Posts
there arnt many spinning rods designed for lifting decent fish up wall or rock faces so be careful. even powerful carp rods are used with a landing net.

if you cant safely lift it or get down with a bet then handline it. my local tackle shop makes a killing when people try lifting a couple of mackerel on light rods. even quality beachcasters dont like lifting more than a couple of pound straight up.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
The two rods i use for this type of work are a Shakespeare Odessa Bass 2-4oz for heavier spinning and float work coupled with a Shimano 6000GTE baitrunner and 30lb Berkley Whiplash and a 30-40lb mono leader. Also a Century Tip Tornado Lite coupled to either a Daiwa SL20SH or a Penn 525 Mag with 20lb mono and a 50-60lb long leader. Read my guide to polllack fishing in the Scotland Forum as this might help you. Both rods are comfortable with 3-4oz leads cast, and i have used both for deep spinning with sandeels or jelly worms. The Odessa is only £40 though whereas the Tip Tornado is £220. I sometimes find it easier retrieving with a F/S reel aswell which is why the Shimano baitrunners are good. Another rod worth a look might be the Julian Sharnbrook Rubber Shark 2-5oz and also the Anyfish Anywhere Estuary rod. Hopefully that helps you out mate, take a look at these options. I dont know how deep the area you fish is, but i will say i rarely need to use more than 3oz of lead.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks fellers,I did say £100...so the thought of a luxury rod
for me to beat it up on the rocks aint gonna happen.
(lottery win and im all ears though....lol)
Plenty of scope though from the remaining suggestions,I aint fished
many rock marks so Portland Bill Dorset will be a learning curve for me.
I havent even seen many reports on here of Pollack/Bass
falling to this method from that mark......hence im gonna give it a go.
There are plenty of other Dorset rock marks crying out to be fished this style
that I dont see other guys attempting.
This means its "pants" or wrong time of year.
Either way,this summer will see me scraping a jelly/ammo eel over
some kelp/rocks.
Thanks again for ya help
cheers

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
In that case Gaz mate i would get the Shakey Odessa Bass (only £38 in Harris sports mails SALE), match it with a Shimano 6000 or 8000 GTE baitrunner (£25-35 second hand of eBay for a nice one) and load it with 30lb Whiplash braid. That little lot should not come to much more than £80 and als omakes a good light beach, bass/flattie, float fishing, spinning combo aswell, the Odessa is a real 'do anything job' rod. For your money you wont get any better combo than that mate. Have you taken a look on my pollack fishing thread in Scotland Forum? That may help you and give you a few ideas too.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
word of warning Gaz, whatever rod you get beware of "High Stick"-ing it.

That's where the rod is pointing nearly straight up (say you have swung a fish up and had to pause with the rod nearly vertical, but the weight of the fish comes back on the rod tip because you had to pause for something)

Because the stress concentration is right in the fine tip of the rod (the butt and middle are straight, but the top foot or two are bowed over like a horseshoe) it can break even a strong top-quality rod with just 2 or 3 pounds of weight.

Even where you wouldn't break that rod with 4 times as much weight, if you were holding it at (say) 40 degrees above horizontal.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
As said before use a long leader to handline fish up, or if you can get down to the waters edge a carp net or boat landing net to land fish. Better than snapping a rod tip, and much cheaper.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Really enjoyed your scotland intro Iain to Pollack fishing
ive had 40 yrs of Perch and pike chasing over weed beds
so this new arena is just everything stepped up mate.
Hence the need for uprated "Tackle".
Ive a Shimano 4000GTM baitrunner with 15lb clear mono
I think its more than happy to handle "General " pollack
fishing mate.....not convinced it would enjoy too much winching
that remains to be seen though.
its the rod area im looking to improve on.
(ps) will try braid...all in good time mate.

And yes Roger......point noted my friend
Ill probly have to find suitable ledges than are not too high from the surf
or get jude on a bungy strap down to the waters edge...lol.
As Iain sez......I think there are limitations on tackle that apply
to each chosen mark.
Otherwise we would be using 1 rod for all..!!!

cheers

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Just a case of picking what does the job best. I think for most pollack fishing a carp rod is fine mate, i have a Nash Hooligun and a Daiwa Sensor Z which were both cheap. The Odessa Bass is a good alrounder for little money and as i said has many applications for light sea fishing, well worth £40 of anybodys money. The 4000 will sit nice on a carp rod and should handle decent pollack well. I only use a 6000, but with an 8000 sized spool for the retrieve ration and spool diameter really. The Daiwa 4050 Regal X BRT is good for around £25. Tell me what you are thinking of buying nearer the time, but as i say the Odessa is probably the way to go for you mate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts