World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Was just wondering, is it any more dangeous anchoring in deeper water??

deepest i have anchored yet is up to about 40m of water.....

any extra precautions needed to be taken to anchor in water of say 100 or 150m ??

also is there any danger in anchoring in fast flowing tidal currents or say 6 knots or more?

any views welcome..

cheers

T

·
0 Posts
Nothing other than commone sense and keep your bow to the conditions.
Keep a sharp knife handy encase you ever had to cut the warp in anger.

If you were trying to anchor in 6 knots of tide and 150m of water I would hazard a guess that you'll need about 6lb of lead to hold bottom whilst fishing.
In fact anchoring in 6 knots is going to be very hard work in any depth.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Quote.........also is there any danger in anchoring in fast flowing tidal currents or say 6 knots or more?

There are not many places where you will come across a 6knt tide run in a depth of 150ft or so.
(Please all you guys saddling up you PC to say that you regularly fish in water 6 miles deep running at 27knts, get a life. I am saying 6knts and deep water are not common)

What is common is overestimating the speed of the tide as it gurgles past. So I am wondering if Andy would tell us what area he fishes so that others who know the same area might be able to put him more at ease with the tidal flow which may be a lot less than he thinks.

Afishionado

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

As already stated 6knt tides and deep water are not common, most of the deep (down to 630') areas I fish tend to only have surface tides (top 50') of less than 1 knt. Even in 300' of water 1knt of tide makes it very difficult to fish with anything less than 2lb of lead.. and that aint fun :(

I did get caught out once while fishing a mark in 350', the tides decided to not play fair and instead of the expected 1knt of flood tide I was hit with 4knts (on the paddle wheel). It was totally impossible to retrieve the anchor using the Alderney ring and I ended up having to buoy the anchor off with 3 large dhan buoy's which were promptly pulled under by the force of the tide when I cast off the anchor rope. I had to wait another 3 hours before the buoy's surfaced and when they did it was like the scene from Jaws the way they popped up :)

Because of the size and shape of the boat and some quick thinking I got away with it OK but I wouldn't have liked to have been caught like that on a small boat.

As for precautions, check the charts and make sure the area you want to anchor in is not a Submarine exercise area; these are very common in the deep water areas. I’m not sure about the area you are going to be in but up here the Coastguard broadcast the list of “live” exercise areas along with the weather forecast.

Anchoring wise you will need to at least double the amount of chain you have on the anchor or if you can manage it treble the length. When lowering the anchor you need to slow the rope down or the weight of the chain will sink faster than the anchor and result in a nice big knot :(

Also always make sure you have easy access to the anchor rope at all times and have a sharp serrated blade knife handy just in case you have to cut the rope.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi all,

Was just wondering, is it any more dangeous anchoring in deeper water??

deepest i have anchored yet is up to about 40m of water.....

any extra precautions needed to be taken to anchor in water of say 100 or 150m ??

also is there any danger in anchoring in fast flowing tidal currents or say 6 knots or more?

any views welcome..

cheers
I regularly fish the Bristol Channel. Its only 40-50 FEET deep in most places and with a tide of about 4-5 knots running in the second highest rise and fall in the world, uptiding is the only way to fish unless you use loads of lead which is very uncomfortable and quite frankly not very interesting. I wouldnt like to fish those sorts of tides in the depths your talking about.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi guys,

thanks for the replies,

sorry just to clarify.. i'm not saying that i need to anchor in 150m and a tidal run of 6 knots...

i ment either / or ....

the tide around where i fish gets to prob 3 -4 knots... deepest areas around around 120 - 150m..

It was just more a general question to tease out the dangers of deep water and/or strong current anchoring for myself and everyone else to be aware of..

I feel that any anchoring, in the right condtions can be dangerous on a small boat..

what do u guys feel are the real do's and donts of deep water/strong current anchoring?

Andy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts